PDA

View Full Version : Another black eye for " hunters "

srupp
10-31-2015, 10:43 PM
Hmm after lunch today in the Williams Lake valley bottom trail a well known photographer came accross a buck laying on the hillside. The buck didnt run away. .so the photographer got close enough to see the bucks jaw had been blown away by a gun shot ..unable to feed the deer was too weak to run away.
The co, s were called who declined to attend so RCMP attended and deer was put out of its misery.
Someone with a gun during hunting season..hunters will get the blame..
Head shots..seriously? Sheeesh wont get deeper than that.
Srupp

Bullseye Bob
11-01-2015, 12:02 AM
I hear ya,i was hunting a couple weeks ago and managed to harvest a nice muledeer ,when i walked up to the downed animal the first thing i noticed was somebody had recently blown its lower jaw right off,pretty sad really no need for head shots in my opinion to small of a kill zone and to many animals needlessly wounded to die an agonizing death.

Ry151
11-01-2015, 12:11 AM
That's terrible. I don't understand Why would co's decline to attend? Didn't realize they can pick and choose what they attend.

Drillbit
11-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Doesn't necessarily indicate a head shot was the goal, but I get what you're saying.

Some people don't practice shooting at all, and a body shot could result in a hit to the head (or lower jaw).

Spy
11-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Pit lampers ????

ultramafic
11-01-2015, 07:52 AM
That's terrible. I don't understand Why would co's decline to attend? Didn't realize they can pick and choose what they attend.

perhaps the word "declined" was used by whomever srupps source was by mistake perhaps they were "unable" to attend for whatever reason...Could have been busy somewhere else and asked the cops to assist since the end result would likely have been the same...

mike

boxhitch
11-01-2015, 08:04 AM
.hunters will get the blame..Depends who tells and how.
the way I read it there is no 'blame' to attach , shit happens , wounded critters get away , boo hoo .
Two stories here , one by an anti- , one by a hunter.

Walksalot
11-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Without a doubt the misery animals go through is heartbreaking. Be it from a head shot or a behind the shoulder shot gone horribly wrong. In a field situation one is not in a perfect environment. There are variables which come into play which can result in a wounded animal. When my son started hunting he was very concerned with the potential to wound an animal. I explained to him that it is up to the hunter to practice shooting to be proficient in his ability to ethically harvest an animal. But things can and do go wrong and if one is not prepared to deal with this potential out come then one should not enter into a hunting situation. Having said that, if a hunter finds things go horribly wrong on a regular basis then that hunter needs to reassess his/her hunting strategy.
Shooting practice is much more than sitting on a shooting bench with a rest. It involves sighting the rifle in to be accurate and then shooting off hand to become a well rounded hunter/shooter. Practicing shooting develops "muscle memory" which is the act of doing something over and over until it is something which is automatically done. Every hunter should stay within his/her comfort zone of accuracy to have the ability to kill the animal as quickly and as humanely as possible. I have in my 50 years of hunting wounded a couple of animals, a fact which I am not proud of. I have forgotten many of the animals I have put on the ground but the couple I have wounded haunt me and they always will.

tomahawk
11-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Great reply!!

Without a doubt the misery animals go through is heartbreaking. Be it from a head shot or a behind the shoulder shot gone horribly wrong. In a field situation one is not in a perfect environment. There are variables which come into play which can result in a wounded animal. When my son started hunting he was very concerned with the potential to wound an animal. I explained to him that it is up to the hunter to practice shooting to be proficient in his ability to ethically harvest an animal. But things can and do go wrong and if one is not prepared to deal with this potential out come then one should not enter into a hunting situation. Having said that, if a hunter finds things go horribly wrong on a regular basis then that hunter needs to reassess his/her hunting strategy.
Shooting practice is much more than sitting on a shooting bench with a rest. It involves sighting the rifle in to be accurate and then shooting off hand to become a well rounded hunter/shooter. Practicing shooting develops "muscle memory" which is the act of doing something over and over until it is something which is automatically done. Every hunter should stay within his/her comfort zone of accuracy to have the ability to kill the animal as quickly and as humanely as possible. I have in my 50 years of hunting wounded a couple of animals, a fact which I am not proud of. I have forgotten many of the animals I have put on the ground but the couple I have wounded haunt me and they always will.

greybark
11-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Well thought out and so true .

kgs
11-01-2015, 10:14 AM

yes well said and i agree totally.

mpotzold
11-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Fully agree!
Exactly what we did before the hunt. Remember -bumping the rifle could throw-off the scope.

Taking a shot from a standing position has its distance limits. Shooting an animal that is running is wrong.
Have enough gun & proper bullet construction.

I too wounded an animal (deer). :-(The buck was never found. Used some cheap crappy bullets in my 243 that probably disintegrated when hitting bone.

Sofa King
11-01-2015, 11:15 AM

they do all the time.
report something, they'll decide if they even give you a call back, let alone go investigate.

Sofa King
11-01-2015, 11:26 AM

totally agree.
there's so many guys it seem that ONLY go to ranges to shoot their guns.
that's good, but most of that shooting is really just confirming that your gun is sighted in accurately.
that's very important obviously, but just as important is shooting your gun in "hunting situations", holding free-hand, standing, kneeling, sitting, etc.
and i think shooting out in cuts and the bush also helps get that feel for distances also, with the "real-life" terrain and perspective, as opposed to a range with numbered distances.

jaeger
11-01-2015, 08:56 PM

Wise words!

Caribou_lou
11-01-2015, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't consider this a Black Eye by any means. Animals are hit on the highway everyday. Left dead of wounded for dsys. Meat waisted.

srupp
11-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Hmmm yes but a blown off jaw during hunting season will bethrown on our doorstop..not the same as adeerstrike.
Srupp

Backwoods
11-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Very well said!!!! I like to practice multiple shooting positions and also getting my heart rate up and out of breath as if I was hiking and jumped some game, I go for a jog or quick sprint, it's amazing how much of a challenge it is too shoot accurate while breathing hard and winded!!

wideopenthrottle
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
yes practice shooting but also practice acquiring a target and aiming...I often look for solid things to practice aiming/shouldering my rifle at (like a big stump or rock)....in spite of the group that think you should never point your rifle unless you are going to shoot I think it is important to practice this ...especially to get used to the breathing (while out of breath) and not fogging your scope with breath....(obviously you are safety on and nothing in the tube when you do it)

okas
11-02-2015, 10:23 AM

the new CO sitting next to god

okas
11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
most will go around in a big circle as babysitting hunters i learned a lot about finding animals ..