PDA

View Full Version : new area strategy

wingmaster
10-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Hi fellas, hoping for some insight on how to hunt an area new to me that is quite different from what im used to.

I was invited along with a friend on a trip around williams lake, im used to hunting region 3 where i usually find some timber to slowly hike through and have been quite successful that way. however in this new area all the timber is so dense with windfall and bugkill on the ground making hiking through impossible.

nowhere in the ground that i have covered strikes me as good "deer country" but my buddy has had success in the past. My question for people that hunt similar areas is what strategies do you use(hike the edges of the timber?, get high and glass cutblocks?) and what are indicators of good deer country in this kind of habitat.

maybe weve just been hitting the wrong spots or going about hunting them wrong, and maybe there are pockets of open timber for still hunting and we just need to find them.

thanks for any advice

HarryToolips
10-31-2015, 10:19 PM
Find sign sign sign....Ya cut blocks and re growth blocks in those kind of areas is where I'd start..a lot easier I imagine for them to get around in those areas compared to the wind blown over old growth, so I'd guess that's where they'd be...

boxhitch
11-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Find sign sign sign....nailed it

Is there any area that doesn't have deer in southern B.C. ? I doubt it.

Hunt the edges. Edges of ravines, cut block , roads , meadows , high ridges , any where that traffic is concentrated because of terrain or hard going.
Lots of time windblown tangle will be at the edge of a block , but get past it and inside can be good.

Bugle M In
11-01-2015, 12:48 PM
when the snow hits, than you will easily spot the sign.
than you have to get out of vehicle, and see if this is an area they are hanging around in, not just passing thru.
Than you will know if the area is good and has potential.

Ozone
11-01-2015, 01:40 PM
Now add 2ft of salal and fog/rain and you will know what the island is like :)