PDA

View Full Version : did i say WOLF????

brutus
10-31-2015, 11:20 AM
just back from wonowon area for late elk,moose hunt.Every track i seen in the fresh snow add wolf on there ass,i lived up there in 2010 and they were wolf around seen sign here and there but nothing like that. it seem like its infested now,i visually seen 3 in 2 days in broad day light all within 50 km of each other,another friend that was hunting farther north also seen one,in all the years i have been in the bush i had never seen one.number of elk seen none,cut two set of track(cow calf) both time and wolf on there ass,usually we see lots of tracks in that area this year all we seen was that.another area we see lots of moose,(dozens in a week)usually only seen half dozen sets of tracks all had wolf on there ass.LOOKS LIKE ALL WERE GOING TO BE HUNTING UP NORTH SOON IS DOG F...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

takla1
10-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Yes there numbers seem to be getting higher province wide.Obviously they've been all over the northern B.C but in recent yrs have been steadily working south.Ive shot wolves on the Prophet River back in the 80's/90's some yrs only relatively small numbers but other yrs larger packs.Their numbers raise and lower in cycles depending on food availability .
Ive shot them in 7-49,7-29,5-2d and the last one in 2-8 ,yes 2-8 not 30 minites drive from my home and each time we have wolves near it the game was scarce that season..

takla

Downtown
10-31-2015, 11:55 AM
just back from wonowon area for late elk,moose hunt.Every track i seen in the fresh snow add wolf on there ass,i lived up there in 2010 and they were wolf around seen sign here and there but nothing like that. it seem like its infested now,i visually seen 3 in 2 days in broad day light all within 50 km of each other,another friend that was hunting farther north also seen one,in all the years i have been in the bush i had never seen one.number of elk seen none,cut two set of track(cow calf) both time and wolf on there ass,usually we see lots of tracks in that area this year all we seen was that.another area we see lots of moose,(dozens in a week)usually only seen half dozen sets of tracks all had wolf on there ass.LOOKS LIKE ALL WERE GOING TO BE HUNTING UP NORTH SOON IS DOG F...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lots of Wolves equal lots of Moose or vise versa.

walks with deer
11-02-2015, 09:31 PM
How much did that 2-8wolf cost.
I seen 1 in 2-4 20 years ago.

takla1
11-02-2015, 11:23 PM
How much did that 2-8wolf cost.
I seen 1 in 2-4 20 years ago.

Cost me more than all the others put together..LOL

takla

scuba
11-03-2015, 05:06 AM
Did you shoot the wolves you seen in broad daylight? I run into a lot of hunters that see wolves and say there's no moose or elk around yet they don't shoot the wolves because they don't want to ruin they're hunt by scaring off the moose and elk lol. Kind of a viscious cycle. Shoot every wolf you see

Backwoods
11-03-2015, 06:14 AM
Yah it's been that kind of season, I've been hunting around there since aug-nov now, literally have seen three cow moose and one calf elk, zero deer and now going to work seen a few dead cows on the hwy, seen tons of wolf tracks on every elk track, I took a wolf this season from that area, he was a lone wolf, seen a pack cross the hwy at mile 109 on the way to work and few wolves up 132 while I was working

fireguy
11-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Did you shoot the wolves you seen in broad daylight? I run into a lot of hunters that see wolves and say there's no moose or elk around yet they don't shoot the wolves because they don't want to ruin they're hunt by scaring off the moose and elk lol. Kind of a viscious cycle. Shoot every wolf you see

Ive seen two wolves this year. Couldn't get a shot at either. Doesn't mean I wasn't going to if given the chance.

6-02 and 8-08. They are everywhere.

squamishhunter
11-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Got 5 in 7-28 in October.

steveo
11-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Got 5 in 7-28 in October.
Yahoo, good for you. May the moose gods shine a little brighter on you.

brutus
11-03-2015, 08:06 PM
no time to shoot,believe me tsx would have poke them good.i think ungulates are in trouble up there and getting worst. DOGS on the menu.lol even rabits had wolf on there ass

Boner
11-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Agreed, lots of wolf tracks up there. Between the 95 and 132. I have saw a fair bit of ungalate activity as well, but I do a lot of walking when I'm at work.

squamishhunter
11-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Yahoo, good for you. May the moose gods shine a little brighter on you.

Thanks.

Dad & I were cow calling moose on a road and the whole pack charged us, and we emptied our rifles.

Boner
11-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Awesome. I wish I could pull my weight a bit more in the wolf culling department. I only see them when I'm on the hwy doing 110.

ruger#1
11-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Awesome. I wish I could pull my weight a bit more in the wolf culling department. I only see them when I'm on the hwy doing 110. Buy a better bumper. It seems like when I see them, They are doing 110. Tricky animals.

338 Mag
11-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Just got back from Pink Mountain area, went up 171,rd,178 road also,more wolf tracks than moose or elk tracks for sure....Something needs to done for sure. More access roads with gas exploration and all is giving them awesome access to the moose, elk and deer.

JK_RUBICON
11-04-2015, 03:04 PM
My old man and I went for 2 week backpack hunt for Elk in 7-49 area, and we couldn't believe the amount of Wolves we've seen and HEARD! We've must have counted at least 20 wolves in 2 weeks we were up there. Tracks are everywhere. Our group was able to shoot only 1.

benevs
11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
This may not be achievable for a number of reasons but is it possible for the guys that are living in the interior to post on a map the pack patterns and current sightings? If there was a thread on here we can post where the main packs are or problem areas it could increase people getting out and doing their part? If we all did that maybe it could help keep numbers down. Just an idea.

Xenomorph
11-04-2015, 05:03 PM
This may not be achievable for a number of reasons but is it possible for the guys that are living in the interior to post on a map the pack patterns and current sightings? If there was a thread on here we can post where the main packs are or problem areas it could increase people getting out and doing their part? If we all did that maybe it could help keep numbers down. Just an idea.

Either that or we get together and support the trappers put a dent into them. Raise money for traps, gas etc

Backwoods
11-05-2015, 12:40 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5527&stc=1This is what I'm seeing everywhere in 7b!! Finally able to get a picture posted wow what a pain in the ass, there has to be an easier way to post pictures, any other website and forum is a piece of cake, it's like pulling teeth! Lol maybe because it's off my phone!?!

brutus
11-05-2015, 06:31 PM
i have a bunch of pics too but to much of a pain to post.maybe when i shoot one i will make an effort to post it.prob be moving up 7b in the spring or summer next year and sure as hell i will shoot some wolves in the winter

skills
11-05-2015, 08:10 PM
You nailed it mate, "Shoot every wolf you see".

Highbeta
11-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Was up hunting about an hour from Wonowon this year and the place is crawling with wolves.. noticed significantly fewer white tails than in years past as well, but I'm sure wolves are only part of that equation.

180gr barnes from a 300 wind bag achieves sufficient penetration from my experience but I would like to conduct further testing to be sure.. others should do likewise!

wiggy
11-08-2015, 05:38 PM
Sorry just posted on another post
Did a week in the elk valley
a week in the Columbia and just got back from a week by Bonaparte
There everywhere
Animals were scarce in draws that normally hold good concentrations.
Govt biologists whoever have blown this big time
Going to take a bunch of years to recover the amount of moose in the Bonapartte area and the Elk valley elk
I've hunted for 40 years and never seen tracks like I just saw.
Critters don't have a chance
Worst part is I didn't even get to kill one.

Bugle M In
11-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Sorry just posted on another post
Did a week in the elk valley
a week in the Columbia and just got back from a week by Bonaparte
There everywhere
Animals were scarce in draws that normally hold good concentrations.
Govt biologists whoever have blown this big time
Going to take a bunch of years to recover the amount of moose in the Bonapartte area and the Elk valley elk
I've hunted for 40 years and never seen tracks like I just saw.
Critters don't have a chance
Worst part is I didn't even get to kill one.

That the big piss off...is not seeing them!!!!!!
Felt like that up in the EK this year...if I can't hunt elk, I am fine hammering wolf all day long.
Have a feeling once I hit Cache Creek/ Clinton, I'll being seeing all those tracks as well.
Sad....and yes....they blew it!!
Poison is going to be the only way to fix it quick!! otherwise it's going to be a S***show for years..IMO

HarryToolips
11-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Ive seen two wolves this year. Couldn't get a shot at either. Doesn't mean I wasn't going to if given the chance.

6-02 and 8-08. They are everywhere.
Wow you saw a wolf in 8-08?? I thought I heard them up in 3-12 howlin near there a few years ago, but have yet to see one..we're you somewhat near Pannask Mtn??

finngun
11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
That the big piss off...is not seeing them!!!!!!
Felt like that up in the EK this year...if I can't hunt elk, I am fine hammering wolf all day long.
Have a feeling once I hit Cache Creek/ Clinton, I'll being seeing all those tracks as well.
Sad....and yes....they blew it!!
Poison is going to be the only way to fix it quick!! otherwise it's going to be a S***show for years..IMO

nope... helicopter hunting when snow is there is best of all....i m volunteer gunner..any others??

Xenomorph
11-09-2015, 07:52 PM
nope... helicopter hunting when snow is there is best of all....i m volunteer gunner..any others??

Count me in, let's figure out a group and do it.

fireguy
11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Wow you saw a wolf in 8-08?? I thought I heard them up in 3-12 howlin near there a few years ago, but have yet to see one..we're you somewhat near Pannask Mtn??

The first time I saw wolves in 8-08 was almost 20 years ago. I have seen lots of sign in the dark lake area in the past. This year was a lot closer to civilization and I know others that have seen them close to town as well.

Phreddy
11-11-2015, 09:04 PM
According to the experts who can be found drinking lattes at most Starbucks outlets, we should leave them alone. They've all read Little Red Riding hood and are experts on the subject. Had a female wildlife biologist on local tv in Courtenay years back address and forum on wolves that had pretty much decimated the deer population on the central/north end of the island and moved on to killing the sheep farmers sheep. She told everyone there that she had done her term paper at university on the concept of castrating the dominant or alpha wolf in each pack, but before she could finish her tale, one very pissed off old sheep farmer from Lasquiti Island stood up and told her, "goddam it lady, those wolves are killing my sheep not f*#king them. It was a being televised live on CRTV by a group of high school students and so it went on the air as is. I could just imagine the poor kid operating the camera trying to stop the the televising, but it was too late. lol. You should have seen the look on Martyonthewater and Betterofffishing's faces. They were only about 6 and 8 years old at the time. It was priceless.

Xenomorph
11-12-2015, 10:46 AM
^ I just laughed out loud. Common sense is a precious and rare jewel these days. That farmer sounds like my grandpa, outspoken and unfiltered.

HarryToolips
11-13-2015, 06:54 PM
http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y364/harrytoolips/DSCN3293_zpskmdnmijl.jpg (http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/harrytoolips/media/DSCN3293_zpskmdnmijl.jpg.html)

I know that I should have put my hand by this track for size comparison, but it looked big to me... we just got back from a 2 day hunt in 4-39 for our cow moose LEH...only saw 2 sets of moose track in 2 days, and I'm guessing these guys weren't helpin...at 4 AM on the first morning they came within 100 yards of our camp and started howling, and one was close enough that we heard it from our tent pissing, is this normal wolf behavior, and are they basically just trying to let us know it's their territory???

M.Dean
11-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Is there a difference between a dog track and a wolf track? I've asked many guys this and nobody seems to know for sure? My dog Coal weights in at around 125 pounds, and he leaves a big track in the snow, and around here lots of people take there dogs walking on the trails where we hunt, so it's impossible to say that's a wolf track and that's a big dog track. This morning my Grandson and I were quite a ways back from here, I took a old trail that hasn't been traveled since it snowed, and not to far in there was a tree across the trail, so as I was turning the quad around I seen what looked like fresh dog tracks, they were as big as my dogs tracks, but the animal came out of some real thick willows, crossed the trail and went up a ways and then towards a old logging landing? And with no sign of people on that trail who could be walking there dog, it kind'a makes a guy think "Wolf"? Were going back up that way in the morning, and hopefully if it is a "Wolf", it's dumb enough to stand still for a second or two! There ain't e'noff moose around here to feed me and some Stink'in Canine!!! So one of us has got's too go!

steveo
11-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Supposedly the two front lobes compared to the two back lobes on a dog's foot are different than a wolfs. It has to be a slight difference because I can't tell but there is a difference from what I understand. If there is no human presence around what you think is a wolf track, good chance it is a wolf track. If you see 5 or 6 big dog tracks running together even with human presence good chance they are wolf tracks.

Boner
11-14-2015, 08:01 AM
I was out in the snow yesterday. Lots of sets of coyote tracks and two sets of wolf tracks. Coincidentally each set of wolf tracks was behind a set of moose tracks.

I tried a few hand calls, but nothing stuck it's neck out.

338Schulz
11-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Came across a pack on Anarchist in 98 and did something about it.

Backwoods
11-14-2015, 11:58 AM
A friend with a trap line up in the peace 7b is slaying the wolves!!!! I've been lucky enough to shoot one this august but I'll be back out hopefully clearing few more outta here!!!

wideopenthrottle
11-14-2015, 12:50 PM
was up near clinton last weekend..i didnt see any wolf tracks in the bush where i hunt but when i went exploring, in the truck, by road, there were tracks in the fresh snow all over the new area i was looking in...they seemed to be taking advantage of the roads and trails to get around (as others have mentioned)

tadpole
11-14-2015, 03:34 PM
Is there a difference between a dog track and a wolf track? I've asked many guys this and nobody seems to know for sure?

Yes, there is a simple difference. Dog and a Wolf mark their boot prints different way. Dog's tracks will have spread left and right feet apart and wolf leave his tracks in a single line and back prints in to front ones.
It was a common knowledge among hunters in Europe when I was there.

benevs
11-14-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm heading up to 5-1 for New Years. If anyone wants to shoot me a PM of where they've seen a lot of wolf action in 100 mile area I wouldn't mind getting out and doing my part. I know a couple of the roads and loops around green lake area/ Bonaparte area, how about towards bridge lake and lac de roches? Any input is appreciated, I prefer walking but seeing as I'll be by myself I might stay in the truck, make some calls, see what happens

VPELT
11-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Hopefully gonna get my trapping licence in january. Been seeing wolves in 8-26. A farmer I know had his Mastiff killed by a pack in enderby

wideopenthrottle
11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
in 3-30 go from loon lake side up the road that begins with w...take a right at the 9 km mark ..go down a few km..i saw lots of wolf tracks in there a week and a half ago.

skills
12-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Don't be too surprised HarryToolips,allot has changed in the past few years. For the first fifty years of my life here in the north Okanagan with countless days in the woods of (mostly) 8-22 and 8-23, wolves were not only absent, my father's generation had never encountered them here either. It's a much different story today. I'd be pleased to hear that there will be a genuine and effective wolf cull province wide and I wouldn't care by what method, JUST GET IT DONE! Are those like us the only ones who realize the impact of this over population of wolves is having each year this goes un-checked? I'd give my eye teeth to tie a helicopter to my butt and go do some gunning, bet there's a lot of us that would sign up for that exercise! Like all to often, we get people in places of authority who have nothing but "Book learning" in place of first hand knowledge from experience, and these people are about as helpful as the no-mind protesters from down town suburbia. I often wondered how many fawn and calves survived for each of the wolves that I've see shot? In the spring of the year when I see get to see the calves & fawns, I've often wonder "Is this innocent creature alive and well because one of the guys shot that damn wolf he saw here last fall?" I believe every little bit helps.

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 12:05 PM
in 3-30 go from loon lake side up the road that begins with w...take a right at the 9 km mark ..go down a few km..i saw lots of wolf tracks in there a week and a half ago.

Believe me, those wolves extend into and down to Cache Cr, and as far over to Kamloops lake.
They probably extend even further than that, but my gas tank is only so big.
Yes, the wolf situation has to be dealt with for sure and soon.
Just want to say that there is most likely several things in play, as to why there is a decline in game.
All issues need to be addressed in my opinion, such as wolf, habitat (winter range especially), access to some degree,
and let's not forget the changes in climate.
It's not only here in BC, look at the programs on TV, such as Yukon Men or Trappers.
They also say the game is missing in those areas too, which were traditional hunting and trapping areas.
Mostly due to the Temps being warmer, so they game has moved...where...who knows.
I don't want to take away from the thread and wolves, as it does need to be addressed properly.
But, just remember, there are more than just 1 spoke on a wheel, and there are many spokes missing in order
for the big game etc to succeed and flourish again.

Jagermeister
12-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Lots of Wolves equal lots of Moose or vise versa.Not true. Lots of wolves means there used to be lots of deer, elk and moose. Wolf population expansion lags prey species populations. After the prey species populations have diminished, then the wolf population will too diminish.
Whenever the topic of wolves come up, it brings to mind the video that Hunter1947 posted some while ago. He had the wolves come to his camp by howling in return to their vocals. I could never figure out why he video'd instead of trying to stroke at least one. May not have had an opportunity to crank more than one but one less would be good.
Bottom line is, don't pass an opportunity when presented.

ASPEN
12-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Did my part end of Sept. wonowon area- Shot a female and buddy shot another. Moose and deer sign way down from past 30 years up there but wolf sign way up . Every where I hunted this year had wolf sign. Seen more wolves in the last three years than the previous 30 combined.

Bugle M In
12-04-2015, 06:06 PM
I see sign, and am willing to rip a bullet into them, but never physically see them.
Years go, I had the whole pack, 15+ in single file walking 200 yrds out, but at the time I owned
Huskies, and just couldn't do it.....I regret that choice now.

Xenomorph
12-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Hunter I know shot three his buddy two as they had the whole pack homing in to their camp where the freshly shot moose was.

I don't know if it's possible, or if I remember correctly, he said the biggest one was 170lbs?!? I'll ask him next time I see him and check the pictures too.

Good Old Outdoors
12-05-2015, 01:21 AM
Up here in 6-03, there are plenty of wolves. Ever since the black tails have been moving up the Douglas channel and are becoming more frequently seen it seems so are the wolves. A buddy and I are planning on setting up a couple bait sites to see what we can do to do our part to control their numbers around here.
My dad went with our hunting partner down to our old stomping grounds to take a couple deer around late October, 1 week of hunting all of our old honey holes, they shot 2 WT does and recovered only one because a cougar decided to drag and eat the one after my dad gutted up and carried on hunting for a couple hours. My point being is that predator hunting HAS to become a regular hunt in the off season , or all ungulates' numbers will continue to fall. I know some people don't agree with predator control and that's fine, but I'm planning on thinning out the wolf packs I know of out here.
Besides it's a good opportunity to put my m14 to good use and it's addictive.

Happy hunting.

Ohwildwon
12-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Tried filling my Doe leh in 3-33 for 4 days near Bralorne, unfortunately came across a lot of this....

Track measured 4" x 4.5" and I was probably at 220lbs with my pack....

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/mikemcclement/Wolf%20Print_zpsc7tmgg1r.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/mikemcclement/media/Wolf%20Print_zpsc7tmgg1r.jpg.html)

Busterpayton54
12-05-2015, 11:51 AM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb471/fuzzynuts54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4151.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/fuzzynuts54/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4151.jpg.html)http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb471/fuzzynuts54/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4149.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/fuzzynuts54/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4149.jpg.html)

this is along dog creek, mid way between Gustafson lake and Dog creek reserve, this past spring.

There was actually 4 walking side by side from this direction, and 3 coming head on.. They joined together and went into the forest on the right. Presumably coming to my calls. Moments before we were less than 1km perpendicular to this exact spot. They were going directly towards where I called from. The tracks were not there a few hours before.

My friend and I tried to track them but lost sign. I called, they answered from in front and behind us. Low visibility. We backtracked to the road but had to be back in town so we boogied. I swear I could hear them stirring and watching us.

Hose are .300win mag cartridges, and my xcr in 7,62x39