PDA

View Full Version : BassPro

Edge
10-31-2015, 08:46 AM
anyone have an update on the opening of their new store in Tswassin (spelling?) ?

panhead
10-31-2015, 08:52 AM
The local rag keeps saying .. next spring and the rest of the mall a few months later. They are still the only confirmed tenant in the indoor mall. Others confirmed for the outdoor mall. Spelling was wrong but it's hard to spell Tsawwassen unless you've had a few ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women spend more time wondering what men think ... than men spend thinking

jeff341
10-31-2015, 08:58 AM
Cabelas in Abbotsford scheduled for September.

panhead
10-31-2015, 09:03 AM
Cabelas in Abbotsford scheduled for September.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that going to be the full sized model or just the beginners model like Nanaimo?

jeff341
10-31-2015, 09:05 AM
I am told it's about 70,000 square feet in size

twinebulger
10-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Bass pro is in the 170 000 range. Cabelas is closer to 70

blaine
10-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Tsawwassen

the store is going to be huge, they almost have all of the finishing touches on the outside complete, I am hearing April as well for an opening

panhead
10-31-2015, 09:28 AM
The Tsawwassen store looks like a carbon copy of the one outside Calgary which I was in. Was not impressed, lot's of pricey stuff, to American for me. Liked looking at the stuffed critters though ... wonder if the "best little lure house" in Ladner will stay open. I see it has already changed hands ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While money may not buy happiness, it certainly buys a better brand of sadness.

Edge
10-31-2015, 09:58 AM
The Tsawwassen store looks like a carbon copy of the one outside Calgary which I was in. Was not impressed, lot's of pricey stuff, to American for me. Liked looking at the stuffed critters though ... wonder if the "best little lure house" in Ladner will stay open. I see it has already changed hands ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you talking bout Cabelas or Bass Pro

panhead
10-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Bass Pro ...

LupieHunter
10-31-2015, 11:31 AM

Stillwater changed hands a while ago. Still an awesome place though!

recoil
10-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Talked to a tradesperson today that is working on Cabelas, they are looking at a possible June opening, construction is well ahead of schedule due to the dry spring and summer.

Bugle M In
10-31-2015, 12:15 PM
It's spelled Tsawwassen. (lived there much my life)
The Bass Pro will be almost double the size of Cabela's, last I read.
Stillwater's, when owned by Brian, was always expensive...very expensive.
The one thing I liked, he was one of the first around to carry decent hunting clothing.
It's been bought by another, younger lad, is my understanding.
Not sure if the prices came down however.

Lastcar
10-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Are you talking bout Cabelas or Bass Pro

I find neither exciting anymore. Used to love going to the one in Tulalip. But really everything a guy needs is at a local shop or one of the great shops/vendors that let you order online. Often same price or better. Just got a semi 22 from Reliable that was $60 cheaper than Cabelas.ca and a 3 minute drive from home.

Bought it online while in Calgary on Wednesday and picking it up this afternoon. Even the "small" shops are offering comparable online shopping experiences now.

Have never found the pricing great at either Cabelas or Basspro. Someone told me that they know they can get away with pricing like that as the novelty of the store and one stop option is what draws people in. Whether true or not.

They nail the experience and make you feel like you are in the right place to get geared up for the hunt or fishing trip of a lifetime though. Nothing wrong with that business model.

Just rather support the mom and pops. Whether in person or online. One shop I've been ordering from, I deal with the owner directly. Not that I am some high roller. Just they way it worked out the first time. Now I can just text him when I need something and it's on its way same day.

The one variable in all of this will be ammunition and reloading supplies. With the two big guys buying power will they be able to stock ammo, powder and bullets on a consistent basis that the other shops can't? Maybe they can even use their own exporting power to do so? I guess the guys in Nanaimo can answer that actually.

jeff341
10-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Theres a small shop thats about a year old in Chilliwack now. I went in and was surprised by the amount of selection they had too. Well done.

Also, as far as 22 rounds...they had a good stock....no limit on purchases either. A lot more than any big box in Chilliwack anyways...

frodo
10-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Where is the Chilliwack store?

Edge
10-31-2015, 08:31 PM
I find neither exciting anymore. Used to love going to the one in Tulalip. But really everything a guy needs is at a local shop or one of the great shops/vendors that let you order online. Often same price or better. Just got a semi 22 from Reliable that was $60 cheaper than Cabelas.ca and a 3 minute drive from home.

Bought it online while in Calgary on Wednesday and picking it up this afternoon. Even the "small" shops are offering comparable online shopping experiences now.

Have never found the pricing great at either Cabelas or Basspro. Someone told me that they know they can get away with pricing like that as the novelty of the store and one stop option is what draws people in. Whether true or not.

They nail the experience and make you feel like you are in the right place to get geared up for the hunt or fishing trip of a lifetime though. Nothing wrong with that business model.

Just rather support the mom and pops. Whether in person or online. One shop I've been ordering from, I deal with the owner directly. Not that I am some high roller. Just they way it worked out the first time. Now I can just text him when I need something and it's on its way same day.

The one variable in all of this will be ammunition and reloading supplies. With the two big guys buying power will they be able to stock ammo, powder and bullets on a consistent basis that the other shops can't? Maybe they can even use their own exporting power to do so? I guess the guys in Nanaimo can answer that actually.

I always make my major purchases from local. I've found that the difference after exchange rates and shipping doesn't make it worthwhile for me to go online in most situations. My $.02

Killthegame
10-31-2015, 08:42 PM
Bass pro doesn't even have a Canadian website, you have to convert to US $., I don't even bother looking at the site.

Pinewood
10-31-2015, 08:54 PM
I've been working at the site in Tsawwassen(worst commute ever). The General Superintendant told me it would be open May 18 whether the other stores filled up or not. There is still a lot of work to complete both inside and out, but they'll have it ready I'd bet.

Lastcar
10-31-2015, 09:38 PM
I always make my major purchases from local. I've found that the difference after exchange rates and shipping doesn't make it worthwhile for me to go online in most situations. My $.02

There are plenty of places in Canada you can order from. Grouse River being the most obvious in BC. And a sponsor. But I've gotten Sitka gear and some other stuff from other Canadian companies.

Not everything bought online needs to purchased from the states. Although admittedly I do get a good chunk of my stuff out of there. Mostly due to availability. But always from the smaller or "local" to someone shop. Smaller one location shops with small staff and quality service.

In the end even if you buy from Cabela's Canada you are still buying from an American company. Granted at least it is Canadians stuffing the boxes and getting the package on the way. So some employment out of the deal.

If I could find the selection in Canada I'd buy most if not all here. As you mention there is not a ton of savings left due to the dollar. And far simpler than the duty and tax shuffle at the post office or the trip to Blaine to pick it up.

recoil
10-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Remember Basspro has also singed a lease agreement with the Tsawwassen native band. So basically and American company with monetary ties to local natives.

I would rather burn my money than spend it there, I already give the natives too much in the form of all their treaty money/taxes. I hope they fail worse then Target did.

Grouse river has always given me good service as well as International/Italians.

jeff341
11-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Where is the Chilliwack store?

Swish Sports......it is on Hocking Ave. Behind the Characters Pub

32-40win
11-07-2015, 01:55 PM
And now that they are both opening all these Cdn stores, Basspro is thinking about making an offer to buy out Cabela's. I don't buy much at Basspro, they generally don't have a product I like much and lately, not much stock on a lot of it.. Sometimes it is cheaper to go there, as to driving to South Calgary, at least now Cabela's has some products I like, at least at present. and Wholesale is usually cheaper, if they have stock. Wait and see what happens with Basspro getting financing and what Cabela's does with the offer if it is made. The outfit that owns Basspro apparently already has an 11% stake in Cabela's.

gunsandhoses
11-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Then there's this.....

http://fishingtackleretailer.com/bass-pro-shops-to-buy-cabelas/