PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to remove antlers?

Harvest the Land
10-29-2015, 06:09 PM
I noticed the regulations say that the antlers must accompany mule deer and spike fork moose. If I'm lucky enough to harvest one of these animals, what's the proper way to remove the antlers? I will be bringing a hack saw, but just want to confirm if I simply cut each antler off at the base where it touches the skull and thus having 2 separate antlers? or should I cut into the skull in a way that both antlers are still attached to the skull? And is it the same for both species?

Just want to make sure I'm doing things the way a CO would be happy to see.

Thanks in advance!

rocksteady
10-29-2015, 06:30 PM
I believe your best bet is the hacksaw and leave them as a pair. Also leave the hide between the antlers, so that if there is any doubt DNA testing could be done to confirm the meat and antlers came from the same critter.

Harvest the Land
10-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Got it - thanks rocksteady!

hoochie
10-29-2015, 10:38 PM
. Also leave the hide between the antlers, so that if there is any doubt DNA testing could be done to confirm the meat and antlers came from the same critter.

and who pays for that? is that even real? I mean they would do that?
You have an animal with a ball sack attached they would go through the trouble and expense to confirm the fresh cut skull was the same animal?
I dunno.. I think that's stretching it a bit.

BiG Boar
10-30-2015, 06:53 AM
I believe legally it says the antlers attached to the skull. I'm not sure if one inch of skull would work, or 1 mm.

M.Dean
10-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Why are you thinking of cutting the horns off to start with? If I have to cut up a moose where I shot it in order to get it home, I cut off the legs, cut the moose in half, then cut off the head, with the horns still attached and bring the head home too. If your back packing and get a animal, I think you have to cut in front of the horns and behind, and leave the skull cap attached. Good luck!

wos
10-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Use a bone saw or a chain saw.a hacksaw will take you forever.

rocksteady
10-30-2015, 08:21 AM
and who pays for that? is that even real? I mean they would do that?
You have an animal with a ball sack attached they would go through the trouble and expense to confirm the fresh cut skull was the same animal?
I dunno.. I think that's stretching it a bit.

You never know where technology and law enforcement is going, so why not be prepared, just in case

ASPEN
10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
If you can- leave the antlers attached to the head and body till you get home. Got a written warning at game check with many co's and RCMP present because I was told we could have brought the head up with us hunting .Please no negative comments as it what it was.Dripping fresh blood from the head was not good enough- sigh. If a moose it not cumbersome enough without head and antlers attached.

guntech
10-30-2015, 11:37 AM
We just bring the antlers chainsawed out of the skull and leave evidence of sex attached to a quarter... never had a problem with that. The antlers prove immature or not... if the fresh brains left with the antlers aren't good enough they may be able to charge you but he would lose in court I am sure... and prove what a dick he is.