PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Took mMy WT Buck

hunter1947
10-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Shot a nice WT buck yesterday a grizzly came in last night and took it the bear eat most of it right under the meat pole my meat pole is 20 feet hi have never had any meat ever taken from me in all my years of hunting this was the first time,,I feel sick to my stomach right now :-(.......

.Here is some footage of the tree and meat pole in my hunting camp and whats left of my WT deer..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW9hqF3P-ZE

20 feet to the top of my meat pole..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0811.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0785.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0802.JPG

Shikari300WSM
10-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Absolutely shitty! Nature unfortunately takes away from us as much as we take from it. But that is brutal, I'm sorry to hear that buddy

Bugle M In
10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Amazing how much they can devour.
Just leave a sign up in case that is a common campsite, so the next guy knows to keep his eyes open.
Always worry about how many bears are being habituated by stealing game off meat poles.
Not sure if it is happening more, but with the I-net, it sure seems to be reported often now.
So, now what...
You must have tagged out your license the day before after taking the deer, but now you don't have anything to show for it.
Sorry to hear it.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-28-2015, 02:43 PM
That is unfortunate!

Makes a guy want to feed him some lead for desert :)

adriaticum
10-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Find him and put him to sleep

MB_Boy
10-28-2015, 02:59 PM
That sucks Wayne. How far from your actual camp set up was the pole? I assume you are now in your camper and have taken down the tent set up?

~T-BONE~
10-28-2015, 03:02 PM
SOB! Bet he's not too far. Amazing how he ate all that! How'd you sleep thru that? He musta made some awful racket. Any pics of this deers rack?

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2015, 03:07 PM
happened to us too... on a meat pole location by the river we have used a few times before...we set up a trail cam and got some footage of it coming back to finish off the stolen deer but were worried that could be deemed as feeding dangerous wildlife so no vids will be posted. dog was in camp but it rained hard that night and she snuck into the tent and didn't hear it happen....it was a bran new 4inch log that we replaced first day in camp that it snapped right in two....we had a buck and a doe hanging but the griz only took the doe...
we moved the buck closer to camp (30 feet away instead of 80 or 90) ...set up the trail cam..ran a propane lantern all night every night...locked the dog outside (with a bed in the cargo trailer)....tied ropes with cans to a ladder with a 5 gal bucket full of cans on top...every night he came by except 1...every time griz was on the vid camera we could hear the dog barking in the background so she did her job the rest of the time..6 deer shot and only 5 came home...I hope you can still get another animal...

M.Dean
10-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Well H-47, you ain't allowed to shoot the dam thing, so why not hang from the meat pole tonight, the Grizz is going to think your a Elk or big Deer up there, and when he get's right below you, drop down and beat that bloody Deer thief within a inch of his useless life! I'm bett'in after you open up a good can of Woop Ass on that bear, it'll never go near a meat pole again in it's miserable life! Bet the video go's "Viral" in less than a day on youtube! All kidding aside, that really sucks! How close to your camp is the pole?

boxhitch
10-28-2015, 03:19 PM
He'll be baack , set up a cam
20 feet ? B Bears climb too.

hunter1947
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
My meat pole is 150 feet from my camp I took my camper out one week ago I will be bring in my wall tent this weekend I won't be setting the wall tent up in my camp I will be setting it up some distance from where the bear took my deer ,,,, will try for a mule deer buck the next week ,,I was toughing it out sleeping in my truck the last week that's one reason I never heard the bear come in last night with the meat pole being 150 feet away from my camp and me in the truck and only having 50% hearing left....

Salty
10-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Did he climb right out on the pole Wayne or did he get ahold of the ropes and yard it down or what? Harsh bud sorry to hear.

hunter1947
10-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Did he climb right out on the pole Wayne or did he get ahold of the ropes and yard it down or what? Harsh bud sorry to hear.

He somehow climbed up that larch that is 12 inches trough to get at the deer never would have thought a big bear could do that he must had been desperate for food..

lovemywinchester
10-28-2015, 03:57 PM
That's crazy! Thats something I would expect up north....way up north. Keep on your toes out there on your solo hikes H47.

tinhorse
10-28-2015, 04:01 PM
There was a set of twin grid in the east kootneys doing the same thing a couple years back. Friends of mine had to move camps after chasing them away and they talked to two other sites near by on the same road that had deer taken from their camps.

Salty
10-28-2015, 04:04 PM
I can see a black bear getting up there no prob but a grizzly that's pretty messed up

ellenbill
10-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Wayne, we have a similar 20' meat pole and bears would climb the tree and pull the quarters towards them.
We cured the problem by wrapping the trees with heavy sheet metal about 10' up.We found superficial scratches on the metal over the years but no lost or damaged meat. A grizz can climb too just not as well as a black.

hunter1947
10-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Wayne, we have a similar 20' meat pole and bears would climb the tree and pull the quarters towards them.
We cured the problem by wrapping the trees with heavy sheet metal about 10' up.We found superficial scratches on the metal over the years but no lost or damaged meat. A grizz can climb too just not as well as a black.

You got this right next year I will get sheet metal to put around the trees that hold the meat pole I will get 8 foot lengths and cut them to fit I thought about this as well ,thanks for your advice it is certainly appreciated

Buck
10-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Get an electric fence Wayne.We are starting to use them as we have Grizz in our area now.Might be to late for that bear though but a real good shock might save his hide.

mpotzold
10-28-2015, 04:58 PM
Probably posted this before! Grizzly sow climbs 50 ft. up a tree with ease!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnp3fLOER8

hunter1947
10-28-2015, 05:04 PM
I called the head CO that I know in the Cranbrook division and told him to let all the other CO know what happened and for other CO to pass it on what had happened to me to let other hunters know within where I hunt ,,,when I see other hunters that have a camp set up I will let them know what happened to me when I will head back in there to try and get a mule deer before season clousher I will be setting my wall tent up this sat I will be some distance from the camp I am in now..

rocksteady
10-28-2015, 05:24 PM
You got a field pick of the buck before it was stolen?

scoutlt1
10-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Damn that sucks!!!

Stay safe out there....

Spy
10-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Lots of Grizz up their from all reports! I wonder if there will be any spring Grizz LEH's coming out next year for the region?

swampthing
10-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Just look at it as something cool that happened! Not everybody gets robbed by a grizz! Great campfire storey.

Bugle M In
10-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Lots of Grizz up their from all reports! I wonder if there will be any spring Grizz LEH's coming out next year for the region?
should be some "fall" LEH's if you want my opinion.
Would take care of some these guys for sure.

Paulyman
10-28-2015, 06:37 PM
I had a black bear steal a mule deer buck right out of the back of my truck when me and my buddy were camped in his trailer only 10 feet away. Only ended up eating the front shoulder

Jagermeister
10-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Did you see the actual bear to positively identify it as a grizzly? Smaller grizzlies are capable of climbing such as "Charlie's" grizzly "Cookie" in the video posted by mpotzold. However, once they've developed substantial claw length and weight, they lose that ability. If it indeed was a large grizzly, he may have used the adjacent tree as an aid to"lever" himself up.
Could have been a black bear too. We all have seen pictures of that fairly large black bear shinnying himself along that clothesline holding the bird feeder aloft. And black bears may still be about since it is quite mild and there may be room in their gut.
Regardless of which type of bear, it could still be a nasty situation

quadrakid
10-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Suck to lose your deer Wayne, gbear just doing what comes natural,he is hungry and makes a living stealing food from other predators.

bwerb
10-28-2015, 08:45 PM
So...er...stupid question time...since you already cut your tag, do you have to get a new tag or is there some process by which you can show that you didn't actually harvest and get a new tag...I know, dumb question but curious.

Daybreak
10-28-2015, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately the dear was harvested and then eaten by the wrong character. As far as I know that tag is done.

Really unfortunate Wayne. On the bright side, you weren't caught off guard while tending to your buck or this story might have been quite different. Good thing is that you are well to hunt again and will go into your camps a little warier.

Elkchaser
10-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Good timely thread, although very sorry to hear about your buck. Sucks to lose a nice animal, but one tag lost is better than getting hammered by a GB. Considering elk is closed now and WT doe season ends soon, them bears will be getting braver over the next little with less access to gut piles. Let's all be a little smarter out there the rest of the season as bear behaviour has seemed pretty abnormal this year. Shy of sheet metal or electric fencing, has anybody ever wrapped barbed wire on poles? Is that razor wire we see on tv available anywhere or even legal? I'd probably slice the crap out of myself trying to use it.

Bullseye Bob
10-28-2015, 10:17 PM
That bites,the bear wouldnt of eaten the rack ,its gotta be around ,have you looked for it at all.

boxhitch
10-29-2015, 01:33 AM
So...er...stupid question time...since you already cut your tag, do you have to get a new tag or is there some process by which you can show that you didn't actually harvest and get a new tag...I know, dumb question but curious.The license and tag allows you to kill a deer and add it to the bag limit, which H did , what happens after is another story.

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:04 AM
The license and tag allows you to kill a deer and add it to the bag limit, which H did , what happens after is another story.

When a bear takes your animal your shit out of luck the tag has been cut and you the hunter can't shoot another buck within in this area I hunt you are only allowed one WT deer buck tag and one WT deer doe tage as for one mule deer buck tag if you hunt the within the region I hunt,,but if I head to another region I can shoot another WT deer buck ....

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:13 AM
That bites,the bear wouldnt of eaten the rack ,its gotta be around ,have you looked for it at all.

No I did not look for the rack reason being is I was on a solo hunt I did not want to take that chance of a full blown attack if I came close to the bear and its was guarding the front part of the deer carcass,, it's not the bears fault that it eat my deer the bear is just doing what a bear do and that is eat whatever they find ,,I am not angry at the bear I am angry at myself,,,I should had taken that deer into my place in cranbrook to hang next time I will do this.

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Good timely thread, although very sorry to hear about your buck. Sucks to lose a nice animal, but one tag lost is better than getting hammered by a GB. Considering elk is closed now and WT doe season ends soon, them bears will be getting braver over the next little with less access to gut piles. Let's all be a little smarter out there the rest of the season as bear behaviour has seemed pretty abnormal this year. Shy of sheet metal or electric fencing, has anybody ever wrapped barbed wire on poles? Is that razor wire we see on tv available anywhere or even legal? I'd probably slice the crap out of myself trying to use it.
myself I would never use barbed wire it's a cruel thing to do it's not fair to the bear to get cut up like that,,it's humain..

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:21 AM
Unfortunately the dear was harvested and then eaten by the wrong character. As far as I know that tag is done.

Really unfortunate Wayne. On the bright side, you weren't caught off guard while tending to your buck or this story might have been quite different. Good thing is that you are well to hunt again and will go into your camps a little warier.

I am always on guard even when this did not happen I carry my defender with me at all times loaded to the hilt with bear spray on my belt one reason I got out of there and did not look for the rack you have to think about all when you are solo hunting on what's the safest thing to do and I did the right thing leaving right away..

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:24 AM
You got a field pick of the buck before it was stolen?

I don't know what you mean Mike ???.

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:29 AM

I have the number of the biologist that works within the region I hunt I will be giving him a call latter this year when my hunting season is over ,,there has never been an LEH draw within the region I hunt each year there are more grizzly bear increasing in numbers ,,my thoughts is one reason being it's the animal rights people that are stopping a LEH draw within this region whats it going to take to have an LEH draw within the region I hunt is it going to take someone getting killed in order for this draw to happen ??? if you don't control the numbers of Grizzlies in a region the population will keep getting larger in numbers...

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:38 AM
Did you see the actual bear to positively identify it as a grizzly? Smaller grizzlies are capable of climbing such as "Charlie's" grizzly "Cookie" in the video posted by mpotzold. However, once they've developed substantial claw length and weight, they lose that ability. If it indeed was a large grizzly, he may have used the adjacent tree as an aid to"lever" himself up.
Could have been a black bear too. We all have seen pictures of that fairly large black bear shinnying himself along that clothesline holding the bird feeder aloft. And black bears may still be about since it is quite mild and there may be room in their gut.
Regardless of which type of bear, it could still be a nasty situation

The claw marks on the tree that was ripped up tells me it was no small bear I am almost positive it was a grizzly bear that eat my deer I will be putting up a trail cam on one tree to see what bear it was then I will know I am sure that bear will be back a few times this bear now knows where it got a good feed of meat and it will want more meat before it dens up for the winter....

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Suck to lose your deer Wayne, gbear just doing what comes natural,he is hungry and makes a living stealing food from other predators.

You got that right Gary I agree 100% with your thoughts..

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:50 AM
Just to let all member know on how I feel about what happened to me sure I am upset I lost my deer to a bear it's not the bears fault on what it did the bear does not say to himself that's wayne's deer I will not take that deer they the bears don't know any better they just do what bears do and that is finding food.

The good thing that came out of this is that I was not hurt and the bear got a full stomach,,I learned a lesson to better my set up on the meat pole not letting this happen again,,next time I will be taking the animal into the butcher shop when I get it to my truck problem solved and if I have to leave the animal for one night hanging on my meat pole the meat pole set up will be worked on to make it more bear proof from getting at my animal in the future..

rides bike to work
10-29-2015, 06:39 AM
Hope it wasnt your dream buck. Guess its mulie time .

604Stalker
10-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Horrible .. I've heard alot of different ways to protect your deer but when it comes down to it I don't know that there is much that will stop a hungry griz. Good luck to you hope you get another deer before closing.

Sleep Robber
10-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Sorry you lost your WT buck Wayne, but like you said, a bears gotta eat..........

Did you happen to take a pic of the buck before you hung it on the meat pole ?? We all want to see the "bear buck"

rocksteady
10-29-2015, 07:25 AM
I don't know what you mean Mike ???.

Do you have pictures of the deer before you skinned it and hung it??

.308SLAYER
10-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Couple of years back we were hunting elk near castlegar, buddy got the harem bull down 8 by 7 very nice bull tough guy took 3 lung shots in the.same spot he layed down after the first but buddy kept runnin over the hill fevered i guess. After the bull was confirmed down we went to get the other guys after gutting it out no sooner did we come back we could see the little trees moving above the elk and snorting as this bear made its way down to the kill. We could hear her licking her lips and smacking as she ate that gutpile a moment later her two cubs im assuming from the year before made there way down to join there mom 3 grizzlies now in country you cant see 10 15 ft in once your in it. They drug that elk a little bit away from us and just began feasting no 7mm shot or 300 win mag shot in close vicinity was stopping these bears from taking there meal. Lots of people said why didnt you shoot them or one at least. 1 couldnt legally shoot i grizzly legally at this time and 2 by the time you could see this bear and get a round into it you better hope he goes down cause you dont have room to run and with two other bears close to her side we figured they won pretty intense close encounter. We figured that those grizzlies were either coming from the same lake the elk did or they were stalking that herd they were fast.

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Do you have pictures of the deer before you skinned it and hung it??

No pictures of the buck my camera batt where dead ,,sorry to say..

Sleep Robber
10-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Okay, so I read about the idea of putting sheet metal around the trees that are holding the actual meat pole up and it seems like a brilliant idea, but now the question....

If the bear(s) can't get to the meat "because of the sheet metal", wouldn't the bear(s) stick around the meat anyway ?? I can't see a bear that smells and sees a body of fresh meat just walk away because he can't figure out how to get it down. Just a thought but he/she/them may be staying in close vicinity to the meat pole and when you come back to camp from your next hunt or whatever the bear(s) may want to protect it as he/she/them probably thinks it laid claim to it....if so what do you do then ?? Do you shoot it on the spot to protect your game ?? Do you wait until it charges you so you have the right to protect yourself ?/ I ask this because most wouldn't have a LEH and some, not all would not actually want to kill a bear if we're not targeting the species.

In a way I'm thinking that I would actually want the bear to take my animal and be done with it rather than have a run in with a bear {and cubs maybe too} as I strolled into camp, being a solo hunter that is.

This might sound off the wall to some but I'm just curious as to what others on here think as a lot of us use meat poles and don't actually want to use the option of "leaving camp" just yet as there may be more hunting to do and you could be a fair jaunt away from the nearest butcher or home etc etc.

Thoughts ???

Bugle M In
10-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Just to let all member know on how I feel about what happened to me sure I am upset I lost my deer to a bear it's not the bears fault on what it did the bear does not say to himself that's wayne's deer I will not take that deer they the bears don't know any better they just do what bears do and that is finding food.

The good thing that came out of this is that I was not hurt and the bear got a full stomach,,I learned a lesson to better my set up on the meat pole not letting this happen again,,next time I will be taking the animal into the butcher shop when I get it to my truck problem solved and if I have to leave the animal for one night hanging on my meat pole the meat pole set up will be worked on to make it more bear proof from getting at my animal in the future..

Your right, it's not the Bears fault, as said, he's just doing what he's doing.
The only concern that crosses my mind is..
Is the bear becoming habituated to free game hanging on poles, and will continue to harass other
successful hunters in the area.
Yes, sometimes it is a one shot deal, but sometimes it's not....which is a concern.
But yup, I have been taking the game out to the butcher's ASAP, but that is mostly due to it being
so frickin hot for so many seasons now, not due to bear.

Bugle M In
10-29-2015, 11:35 AM
here is a gbear in the modern world...
think it was posted before, but just in case some didn't see it...relentless bugger!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs

bosch
10-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Holy crap Wayne, I guess we need to go higher eh? To think I was carving up my deer off that same pole thinking all was okay. You said that's the first time for you. Well twice for me now and you were there for one of them...it sucks!!! Go get a mulie to make up for it and get it the hell out of there bud.

deer nut
10-29-2015, 12:09 PM
So much for grizz not being able to climb! That is a skookum meat pole- I would've bet it was safe!

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Holy crap Wayne, I guess we need to go higher eh? To think I was carving up my deer off that same pole thinking all was okay. You said that's the first time for you. Well twice for me now and you were there for one of them...it sucks!!! Go get a mulie to make up for it and get it the hell out of there bud.

Yes Brian we will put up some sheet metal on the trees that hold the meat pole and go up 4 feet more..

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 12:16 PM
here is a gbear in the modern world...
think it was posted before, but just in case some didn't see it...relentless bugger!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs

Very interesting video clip this grizzly bear is very smart interesting to see him take much caution when touching the deer parts ,,very very smart for sure..

HarryToolips
10-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear that!

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=Sleep Robber;1705403]Okay, so I read about the idea of putting sheet metal around the trees that are holding the actual meat pole up and it seems like a brilliant idea, but now the question....

If the bear(s) can't get to the meat "because of the sheet metal", wouldn't the bear(s) stick around the meat anyway ?? I can't see a bear that smells and sees a body of fresh meat just walk away because he can't figure out how to get it down. Just a thought but he/she/them may be staying in close vicinity to the meat pole and when you come back to camp from your next hunt or whatever the bear(s) may want to protect it as he/she/them probably thinks it laid claim to it....if so what do you do then ?? Do you shoot it on the spot to protect your game ?? Do you wait until it charges you so you have the right to protect yourself ?/ I ask this because most wouldn't have a LEH and some, not all would not actually want to kill a bear if we're not targeting the species.

In a way I'm thinking that I would actually want the bear to take my animal and be done with it rather than have a run in with a bear {and cubs maybe too} as I strolled into camp, being a solo hunter that is.

This might sound off the wall to some but I'm just curious as to what others on here think as a lot of us use meat poles and don't actually want to use the option of "leaving camp" just yet as there may be more hunting to do and you could be a fair jaunt away from the nearest butcher or home etc etc.

Thoughts ???[/Q

The main thing to do if you can is to have the meat pole as far away from you camp as possible..

I would say that if you can you should use the meat pole for the one night to hang your game to cool off then the next day get the animal to a butcher the sheet metal will stop the bear from climbing the tree for that one night hung when you head to the meat pole the next morning or that day make sure you are prepared to see a bear if a bear is present back off then get into your truck or whatever you are driving make lots of noise blow the horn or whatever it takes to scare the bear away then get the beat into the unit ASAP and get out of there .

If solo don't try to do this by yourself go get help even if it means driving to a place you can get out with your cell phone a person can use bear bangers horns shooting a shotgun in the air whatever it takes to scare the bear away for a short time to get your animal loaded into your unit.

Like you said if the bear can't get to the animal hanging when sheet metal is on the tree you don't want to leave the animal hanging for days you want to get it out the next day sometimes a hunter with there friends spend most the night getting the animal back to there camp it's nice to hang the animal up for a day and deal with it the next day ,,I was hanging my deer for only 14 hours till this happened if I had sheet metal on the trees this might not had happened just saying..

Hunterguy
10-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Wayne I think if you had the bear issue which you did and hung another animal n that same pole knowing there's bear around it would be better to leave that area. You wouldn't get much sympathy from a co. If you had to shoot the next robber, that would be his first question to you why didn't you leave.

Bugle M In
10-29-2015, 04:25 PM
not much you can do.
We had a couple of years now, where bbears were chewing up are camp and bike seats etc.
So, I bought a Bbear tag, because I could, as it was open, just for this reason stated above.
Gbear ain't open, so the only option is to keep the meet hanging some distance away from camp.
We , sometimes leave are meat hanging, somewhere between where we shot the game and where are camp was.
Just in case, as you know, the older ya get, the more midnight trips out of the bed to water the daisies!
Wouldn't like to have your scenario going on, while going out in the dark to piss.
I always had more success by meat being down along a river, but that just may be luck...don't know.
Again, not much you can do, but as stated, just inform CO's as you did, and leave a little note nailed to the tree
in case another hunter decides to set up shop there....if the claw marks don't give it away.
Fall leh for Grizz would be the only thing that's going to put a curb on it...
but it will never stop happening no matter what.
Just a good thread to keep hunters aware for sure...
So, in a way, it's not a complete loss.

hunter1947
10-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Wayne I think if you had the bear issue which you did and hung another animal n that same pole knowing there's bear around it would be better to leave that area. You wouldn't get much sympathy from a co. If you had to shoot the next robber, that would be his first question to you why didn't you leave.

Yes that's exactly what I will be doing I will be camped some distance from my camp when I go back in on Saturday for a weeks hunt for mule deer ..

gamehunter6o
10-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Hang some inflated balloons beneath your carcase and smear them in fat.:idea:
At least you'll be awake.:shock:

MikeH
10-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear that I would have puked..hard work and the damn bear is the one with the full stomach nature can be a bitch.

olympia
10-29-2015, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear bud, those damn bears have more rights than the Indians everyone bitches about on this site. We should at least be allowed to shoot them if defending our property.

hunter1947
10-30-2015, 05:18 AM
I will say again its not the bears fault on taking my deer bears are scavengers and a bear will eat whatever they find meaning my deer that was hanging from the meat pole sure it sucks loosing my deer to a bear with all the hard work getting it back out of the bush skinned and wrapped with a tarp..

There is no going back the only thing that I can do is throw the ball behind me and look forward to continue hunting for a mule deer I learned a valuable lesson and that's to better my meat pole so this will not happen to me or my hunting friend ever again....

Clint_S
10-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Build one of my $5.00 shotgun shell pack alarms.

Xenomorph
10-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Build one of my $5.00 shotgun shell pack alarms.

Want to elaborate on that?

Xenomorph
10-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Yes that's exactly what I will be doing I will be camped some distance from my camp when I go back in on Saturday for a weeks hunt for mule deer ..

I saw some guys use an electric fence (battery operated) when they camp deep into G country. That might be worth looking into, especially for your safety Wayne.

hunter1947
10-30-2015, 09:10 AM
I called the local CO a bout 30min ago waiting for them to return my call,,I called regarding if there is a chance that I can get a replacement WT deer buck tag ??? if I have prof that a bear eat my deer I have prof that a bear did eat my deer will see what they say I am sure answer will be now..

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2015, 09:23 AM
I called the local CO a bout 30min ago waiting for them to return my call,,I called regarding if there is a chance that I can get a replacement WT deer buck tag ??? if I have prof that a bear eat my deer I have prof that a bear did eat my deer will see what they say I am sure answer will be now..

Go shoot a doe tomorrow, last day of the season. Better meat than a stanky old buck and no dicking around having to cut the antlers off! ;)

HarryToolips
10-30-2015, 10:36 AM
I sure hope they do, that's crappy luck you had there...so is the govt gonna give out more Griz LEH hopefully?? PS. Hey did you get your big bull elk you were looking for??

wideopenthrottle
10-30-2015, 10:44 AM
pretty sure you will not get another buck tag but as others have said go to reg 4 and get another WT before the season ends... reg 8 limit is 2 for deer so no mulie if you take another WT there....pg 17 of the regs has a good table to use for reference
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Provincial_2014.pdf

hunter1947
10-31-2015, 03:59 AM
Headed into my camp in a few min from now try to find my WT rack try to find a decent 4 point mule deer..

hunter1947
10-31-2015, 04:00 AM
pretty sure you will not get another buck tag but as others have said go to reg 4 and get another WT before the season ends... reg 8 limit is 2 for deer so no mulie if you take another WT there....pg 17 of the regs has a good table to use for reference
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Provincial_2014.pdf

Thats where I cut my tag region 4 can't take another buck from within this region only one allowed if I want another WT buck I have to head to region 8 or other and I am not going to take a WT deer doe
I will get great pleasure helping my two buddies this up coming week finding a decent WT buck for them to me its as good as if I where to take a buck..

RBooth
10-31-2015, 04:20 AM
Shitty deal! It sucks not having elk around Kamloops but it's nice not worrying too much about grizzly encounters. Scary stuff! Glad the deer dealt with the grizzly for you at least!
Any pictures of the rack??

hunter1947
10-31-2015, 04:33 AM
Shitty deal! It sucks not having elk around Kamloops but it's nice not worrying too much about grizzly encounters. Scary stuff! Glad the deer dealt with the grizzly for you at least!
Any pictures of the rack??

Like I have said before I left my hunting camp shortly after I seen the deer remains I did not want to be looking around for the rack by myself with a grizzle present,,will try to find my rack tise morning when i head back in with a couple buddies..

RBooth
10-31-2015, 04:46 AM
Gotcha, I thought maybe you'd have a field photo is what I meant to ask about :)
Sorry again for the bad luck Wayne. Don't beat yourself up over it. You did a good job hanging it. Wrong spot on the wrong day.

mpotzold
10-31-2015, 10:42 AM
Not sure if this was posted before?
Grizzly bear Attacks Hunters Whitetail Deer in Skookumchuck-climbs tree around 3 min. They do have a high reach-up to 13 feet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhsD2PgHzE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrhsD2PgHzE)