PDA

View Full Version : Quick meat

rides bike to work
10-28-2015, 12:38 PM
With a quarter elk in the freezer and a moose hunt coming up I new I wouldn't make it back to region 3 for the rut hunt in November so I decided to visit a old friend in kamloops and go out for a day trip to put any tender buck in the freezer to feed the family.

After a 7:30 hockey practice for my 7 year old I had breakfast with the family and headed up to kamloops. I arrived at 12:00 to my friends and we headed down the highway for the bush

a little info on my friend

he doesn't hunt but every November I come up for a weekend in November and look for a 4 point mulie. He enjoys the outdoors and stalking in on deer. But so far we have not been successful.
He is a gun nut. Very into tactical shooting with ARs and handguns. Almost on the competitive level also has recently gotten into long range. His arsenal is impressive.

So as we head off the highway into the bush I pull over at the first pull off so I can get out my gun and put my boots on. After chatting and getting ready I decide to take a look with the binos at a ridge in front of us and bam there's deer and sure enough a buck at the top of the ridge. But the buck is sky lined so we wait for it to walk down the side hill a little but instead it beds down totally sky lined.

It was about 150 yards away with a very deep gully between us. But with me wanting to explore more country positive we would see more we decide to move on.

we drove to the spot I wanted to hike from and headed up the hill as we reached the top where it flattens out we spent some time glassing the large area in front of us. We continued walking for another 100 yards when I spotted a deer. It was a doe and it disappeared up a gully into a set of small hills.

So we made sure our wind was good and began to circle around and come up the hill where we figured she would have went. As we climbed the hill there where fresh tracks an dropping everywhere. We inched to the top of the hill and glassed. As the rolling hills showed them selves I spotted a bedded deer and it was a buck. About 100 yards across a small gully. I crawled to the top of the ridge I was on and took a rest on a log. Just then the buck stood up quartering away from me. So I put the crosshairs on the front shoulder and boom. The buck hunched up and slowly walked over the ridge out of site

i new it was a good hit and I wouldn't go far but my friend was quite concerned with it getting away. So we slowly made our way through the gully and over the ridge. As we came over there was no sight of the deer and my friend was a little distraut thinking I had wounded it and it had got away. He sudgested I get a magnum because then they always drop on the spot. I new he couldn't have gone far and was probably bedded in a little pach of bush so I started scanning with my binoculars and sure enough there he was bedded about 30 yards down from us. I lined him up and put one in the back of his neck even though he was seconds from glazing over.

we got down to him and my friend was quite surprised at the smell the buck was getting a bit rutted up and you could smell it. Something I don't notice so much growing up around dead rutted up mulies.

my friend watched me hit him and wasnt a huge fan if that but was interested in the whole process then. He helped me drag him the 100yards up hill and about a km down hill to te road
more than happy to take over for me on the down hill part.

We made it to his place around 6:30 and got the deer hung had a beer and I started skinning and he went in to the house to cook some grub. When he came back out I ha the deer fully skinned head off and clean as a whistle.

That just looks like meat now" my friend said. I cut cut out a tenderloin and put it in a bowl in the fridge with a bit of Montreal steak spice on it.
later that night after a few more beers we through the tenderloin on the BBQ and roles it around for a minute then sliced it up nice and rare.
He couldn't believe how good it was. And said he is signing up for his core right away.

It was great to introduce him to the whole process and i think might have created a monster as he is a motivated guy once his mind is on it.

This trip was all about meat friendship and celebration and was a total success

albravo2
10-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Great story! Nicely done.

monasheemountainman
10-28-2015, 01:33 PM
pics please

steveo
10-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Can't see the pics.

Salty
10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Good stuff rbtw well done showing your friend what its about and good that he'll take up hunting now. That's what its all about right there enjoy the tasty grub!

avadad
10-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Nice work!

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2015, 02:16 PM
great mentoring

M.Dean
10-28-2015, 03:23 PM
That's how hunting story's are made! Nothing can beat going out like you guys did, talking about old times, checking out a few area's where you had seen animals before, and getting a deer to boot! Your buddy's going to love pack'in a rifle along on your hunting trips next year! And Congrats to you both on a great Hunt!

rides bike to work
10-28-2015, 05:05 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/28utgrt.jpg

Found a nice shed to
hopefully get that guy next time

rides bike to work
10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/29ehk5d.jpg

rides bike to work
10-28-2015, 05:10 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/x0qsco.jpg

now it's meat funny how amazed my friend was about that

rides bike to work
10-28-2015, 05:12 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/2qjx8wy.jpg

my buddy doing some dragging

steveo
10-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the pics, great story.

rides bike to work
10-29-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys.one other thing I didn't mention is the next morning we went shooting to the kamloops range. And I must say what an impressive range. All the hand gun bays and the long range was awesome kloops has it figured out good people there to.