PDA

View Full Version : What to wear in the rain that doesnt make noise

heatherdaddy
10-28-2015, 07:19 AM
What does everybody wear when it is raining out, as most of the rain proof gear i have makes a pile of noise while going through the bush.
I am just curious as to what other wear (besides going naked) that might not make noise while going through the bush.

Philcott
10-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Wool.......

Sleep Robber
10-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Wool.......

And that should make this the quickest thread ever....unless the dummies that spend over a $grand$ on a coat and pants set want to chime in.:razz:

Squamch
10-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Cabelas packlight rain gear is pretty good stuff.

Gr8 white hunter
10-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Yup wool #1 .

heatherdaddy
10-28-2015, 08:07 AM
I know wool will keep you warm but will keep you dry as well?

boxhitch
10-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Adopt the 'warm when wet' philosophy , then fleece or wool will do the trick

Sleep Robber
10-28-2015, 08:33 AM
One thing I like about my old grey stanfield top is that if it gets wet I can simply take it off, give it a good shake and put it back on.........it's by far one of the best pieces of hunting/work clothing I have ever owned. Just ask a logger.

wideopenthrottle
10-28-2015, 08:36 AM
wool for sure and fleece as well sometimes.... as said warm even when wet...I sweat like hell in any raingear and just get wet from the inside anyway so breathable is a must

Fella
10-28-2015, 09:01 AM
X2 on wool. I find in a light rain the drops just bead off and in a heavy rain sure the wool will eventually stop beading but you'll be warm and once the rain stops or you get under cover it dries pretty quickly. It's also near silent and doesn't seem to get stinky.

86k20
10-28-2015, 09:05 AM
If you want cheap good goretex camo stuff go on ebay and search "ecwcs goretex" Milsurp in woodland is pretty cheap and VERY heavy duty. Makes some noise but there is a lot of white noise in the forest in heavy rain anyways.

panhead
10-28-2015, 09:18 AM
WOOL ... comes highly recomended by Bella Coola fishermen ... along with a "wee nip." Keeps you warm even when soaked. Just gotta get used to it ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Women, like any dangerous and unstable substance, need to be carefully managed and controlled… it’s akin to driving a auto – it can be a wonderful servant but you must skillfully control it – you can’t let it go on it’s own without guidance…

electroman
10-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Go with wool. You'll either get wet from the rain or wet from sweat no matter what you wear.

Salty
10-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Yep wool's been doing it for hundreds of years. Having said that in an all day down poor it does start to loose the battle. There's lots of soft shell waterproof stuff out there if you want complete protection as noted a lot of it crazy expensive some not so much. I have a Rivers West breathable soft shell jacket and its about as good as any noisy slicker for being waterproof and its quiet. I think it retailed around 300 I got it for less than 200 at seasons end a few years ago.

Husky7mm
10-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Not rivers west fleece, its quiet and suppose to be water proof but in a down pour you might as well jump in a lake. Had many good years from browning series pro-vent, made if gortex. Not super loud but not quiet either.

Bugle M In
10-28-2015, 09:43 AM
I use the raingear from Browning.
If you can find the gortex stuff, it is quieter and more comfortable than the "dry plus" stuff.
The dry plus is quiet enough, and it sure beats being soaked all day.
Even good on those frosty mornings, after the sun has come out and frost turns to dew on the grasses, than
I just wear the pants for those times.

brian
10-28-2015, 09:54 AM
I agree with everybody else, I wear wool as long as it isn't pouring. Even if it is pouring I sometimes wear wool. Especially on day hunts when I can get home at night and dry everything out. But I find that if it is really raining hard then the noise of standard rain gear isn't an issue. The water minimizes the noise it does make and the sound of rain in the forest covers the rest up. So what I usually do is wear wool or fleece and use it as long as the fabric isn't wetting out. If the weather looks brutal or if I am on a multi-day hunt then I carry a rain shell in my pack and throw it on when it gets really wet out. I never wear rain pants though. My fleece pants dry fast and are very resilient to wetting out.

The Hermit
10-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Wool is great on day trips or if you have a cabin with a dryer! I find that there is so much noise in the bush when its raining that clothing noise doesn't matter. Especially if I'm sitting in a tree or on the ground I'd rather be dry and not have to keep the stove rocking for hours to dry out my clothes in the tent so much.

Sleep Robber
10-28-2015, 12:04 PM
I've worked on fishing boats for over 30 years, West Coast, Bering Sea yada yada....if you want to stay "DRY" and your not worried about noise {hell, it's pouring out, don't worry so much if your that quiet anyways} then buy a set of bibs and jacket from Grundens International, it's the best rain gear out there bar none, and it also comes with neoprene sleeves which is a nice bonus.

Another way to go is to get some Helly Hanson Impertech pants and jacket, they come in a drab green and they are a rubber stretchy material that is very tough for how light it is. Lots of guys swear by them. I've got a set and their awesome.

IMHO, Wool is still the key word for this thread though.:wink:

Sofa King
10-28-2015, 12:07 PM
I do have decent weather-proof camo clothing, but, if it's a good rain, I don't worry about noise too much and wear my Columbia Titanium jacket.

Drillbit
10-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Fur Coat and pants

Warm, and doubles as great camo too!

electroman
10-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Fur Coat and pants

Warm, and doubles as great camo too!

Don't forget your lucky antler hat.

panhead
10-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Don't forget your lucky antler hat.

I understood the hat was for the wife ...:???:

The light that shines twice as bright does not last as long.

Big Lew
10-28-2015, 01:46 PM
For many years most people in my neck of the woods used checked mackinaw
coats. They were quiet, warm even when wet, and good camo all in one.

stevo911_
10-28-2015, 01:57 PM
If you want cheap good goretex camo stuff go on ebay and search "ecwcs goretex" Milsurp in woodland is pretty cheap and VERY heavy duty. Makes some noise but there is a lot of white noise in the forest in heavy rain anyways.
I have surplus british goretex gear I got from canadammo (it's desert camo) that works pretty well for me, quite a bit quieter than other goretext stuff I've had.
There was also a killer sale on some kryptek stuff a little while ago, so I have some fancy stuff now too (was ~75% off)

avadad
10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Helly Hansen Imperitech over wool.

chrscott
10-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Anyone got a lead on cheap but good, wool pants and/or jacket (possibly surplus)?

Minimum prices I have seen are at least $120.

I have seen the odd pair of surplus wool pants on ebay, but they seem to be off sizes.

RadHimself
10-28-2015, 03:13 PM
I bought the Browning Full Curl Wool parka and bibs, couldnt be happier with it. For misty drizzly days its perfect, warm quiet and windproof. For the days its an absolute down pour or im in the rzr and its pissing, i bought the Cabelas Squaltex 2 jacket and bibs. There 97% water proof, a bit noiser then wool but they are a deadly barrier, breathes but keeps u warm and dry. No wind.

90% of the time im wearing underarmour, under a pair of kanab 2.0 merino wool pants, a cabelas cotton longsleeve, a button up long sleeve over that then either a zip up none insulated jacket or the FCW jacket. I keep the squaltex in my pack at all times just in case

the squaltex was cheap. Jacket was $90 bibs were around the same

boxhitch
10-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Anyone got a lead where abouts ?

Mann89
10-28-2015, 03:36 PM
"You can be wet and happy, wet and mad, or wet and down right miserable, but you're still going to be wet". Wise words I learned long ago. That's why I always wear wool. Thrift shops are a good source of wool sweaters as long as you don't need to be stylish.

RadHimself
10-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Wool is pricey, no way Round it

i got my browning stuff off of ebay and saved a bit of cash on it

it is a size small though. Extra large fits me good and im 6'1 235

electroman
10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I understood the hat was for the wife ...:???:

The light that shines twice as bright does not last as long.

oops yes my mistake

dbergen69
10-28-2015, 09:39 PM
I have the squaltex from bass pro. Very waterproof, durable and very quiet rain gear. I highly recommend it.

burger
10-29-2015, 08:54 AM
http://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets/double-mackinaw-cruiser-alaska-fit.html

Your welcome.

gunsandhoses
10-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Wool is great - just ask any Merino - (sheep) lol

I 'll stay dry and warm in my Kryptech Koldo's .....

Bugle M In
10-29-2015, 11:42 AM
I know my gear is Gortex that I hunt all day in, and it is waterproof....supposedly (I guess for the most part it works),
but in a downpour/deluge, I still put on the raingear, as I don't want wet fleece all day if I can avoid it.
Yes, all the people that posted that wool works, they are right, as long as you like that warm,yet wet and fuzzy feeling.
I like that feeling too, just not when hunting.
If it raining hard, you won't have to worry if the raingear makes a little noise, the game "won't" hear it.
If you find some very light , packable raingear, you can just drop it in your day pack or coat pockets, and your good to go.

RINO
10-29-2015, 12:44 PM
I've worked on fishing boats for over 30 years, West Coast, Bering Sea yada yada....if you want to stay "DRY" and your not worried about noise {hell, it's pouring out, don't worry so much if your that quiet anyways} then buy a set of bibs and jacket from Grundens International, it's the best rain gear out there bar none, and it also comes with neoprene sleeves which is a nice bonus.

Another way to go is to get some Helly Hanson Impertech pants and jacket, they come in a drab green and they are a rubber stretchy material that is very tough for how light it is. Lots of guys swear by them. I've got a set and their awesome.

IMHO, Wool is still the key word for this thread though.:wink:

X2.......... Best reply!!

howa1500
10-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Very much depends on what you are doing, after having spent many years in the bush in the employ of the queen, and many years hunting here is the best info I know. All from the perspective of being out in the bush, not the truck.
1) invest in lite packable rain gear. Put them into a compression bag, and into your ruck.
2) if actively hiking there is no point to rain gear, you'll get just as wet sweating.
3)when stopped or sitting, put on the rain gear, it will keep you warm as part of a layering system.
4) wear wool as much as possible, it's warm when wet, warm when dry, quiet, resists odors, and last a long time .
I hunt with a merino base layer shirt, a merino sweater over top. I have a lite gore tex windproof she'll I can put over from mec, and then put my camo shirt over top. I personally wear multicam US surplus, it's cheap, and excellent colour pallette for fall hunting. I have had many critters not see me.

buck nash
10-29-2015, 06:49 PM
For many years most people in my neck of the woods used checked mackinaw
coats. They were quiet, warm even when wet, and good camo all in one.

The good old "surrey tuxedo". A little harder to find these days, but a classic for a reason. Good function doesn't go out of style. They're nice in most weather,short of a downpour.

Cordillera
10-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Helly Hansen Imperitech over wool.

Times two. Helly stuff is pretty quiet and when the brush is really wet you will be soaked to the bone without rubber. Loggers who wear just wool on the coast are moving all day and never sit around.

boxhitch
10-30-2015, 04:27 AM
Agreed on the H-H gear , but I would pair it with a heavy Berber fleece instead of wool for light weight and quick drying.
Wool had its day but IMO polyester fleece of today is superior in many ways. New products are lighter , wind proof and retain far less water than wool

jackthebear
10-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Heatherdaddy,
I was a logger for some 15 years and having tried numerous types of rain gear, will tell you that the best stuff you can get that won't break the bank is the thin Helly Hansen product. It's rubber and stretchable so great for walking in the bush with when you need to climb over logs etc. And quiet! Layer it with wool or synthetic fabric underneath and you'll be golden😉

twoSevenO
10-30-2015, 10:02 AM
oh man .... some of you guys need to get with the times.

First of all, lots of misconception here on wool. Yes, it will keep you warmER when wet over cotton. Wearing wet wool is better than wearing wet cotton. That doesn't mean you'll be warm or comfortable. If wool soaks through you're still screwed! Having wool soak through also risks getting your under layers wet as well and that's a problem if you're not in a position to change. Not to mention being wet is just plain uncomfortable.

If the rain is not heavy and you're only in it for a short time anything will work. But if you've got over an hour in medium/heavy rain you really need proper rain gear to stay dry and therefore comfortable.

As others have said, fully waterproof clothes (even the breathable Gore-Tex kind) suffer from condensation. The fabric is waterproof and breathable, but if you are exerting yourself and generating a lot of sweat vapor inside your clothes, the breathability of Gore-Tex just won't be able to keep up. You will get wet from inside. This is a tricky case for all outdoorsmen whether it be hiking or hunting and as far as i know the only remedy is to slow your pace down so you aren't generating as much excess sweat. Some people just don't sweat as much as others, so the reports on breathability of Gore-Tex vary wildly. Having said that, i've still found it to be the best breathable waterproof fabric of all the others i've tried. And i've tried proprietary fabrics by other makers such as Northface HyVent, or Columbia OmniTech, Helly Hansen Helly Tech etc.

Some choose to forego the breathability altogether and get the Helly Hansen rubber bibs/jacket. Honestly, this combo is only good if you're working in a dirty fish farm or something where you need to hose yourself down often. These rubber clothes suffer from a multitude of drawbacks while being no more or less waterproof than a good gore-tex jacket. Having used it for fishing some of the drawbacks are:

- horrible fit. No articulation means every time you move or lift your arms the jacket is riding up
- no breathability. that's a given with rubber-type materials (nylon, PVC or whatever it actually is)
- open sleeves. lift your arms up and all the rain off your hands is sliding down your wrists and getting your inner layers wet. Wear this fishing and you got a nice pool of water at your elbow in no time.
- still makes noise as you walk, especially when cold and the material becomes stiff. It's like wearing a trap in my experience.

Those who advocate for helly hansen rubber stuff while claiming they have tried "numerous types" of rain gear, have truly never tried GOOD rain gear. Because GOOD rain gear is not cheap.

The best GOOD rain jackets you can buy would be gore-tex ones made by reputable outdoors companies such as Arcteryx, Simms, MEC, etc. But you're looking at at least $350-$400 for Simms/MEC and probably $500+ for Arcteryx. None will stay quiet though. The only way to get a good quiet one is to buy from a hunting-specific company such as Sitka which is probably also going to be $400 or so for a good rain jacket.

That is of course if you actually need a proper and GOOD rain jacket.

Where i hunt I have no need for a rain jacket as it is fairly dry so a softshell type of jacket that is windproof is adequate for me.

cloverphil
10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Browning makes waterproof bib overalls that I have found warm and quite comfortable
I also have the Remington scent proof and water proof jacket which is light enough in all weather and loose enough to go over anything for more insulation in the cold

not as quiet but another option is the oilskin canvas type pants and coat, not as flexible, nor in camo for that quick hunt and stalk from the quad

pieter
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Just go in the nude bare feet not much noise

Seeker
10-30-2015, 12:29 PM
oh man .... some of you guys need to get with the times.

First of all, lots of misconception here on wool. Yes, it will keep you warmER when wet over cotton. Wearing wet wool is better than wearing wet cotton. That doesn't mean you'll be warm or comfortable. If wool soaks through you're still screwed! Having wool soak through also risks getting your under layers wet as well and that's a problem if you're not in a position to change. Not to mention being wet is just plain uncomfortable.

If the rain is not heavy and you're only in it for a short time anything will work. But if you've got over an hour in medium/heavy rain you really need proper rain gear to stay dry and therefore comfortable.

As others have said, fully waterproof clothes (even the breathable Gore-Tex kind) suffer from condensation. The fabric is waterproof and breathable, but if you are exerting yourself and generating a lot of sweat vapor inside your clothes, the breathability of Gore-Tex just won't be able to keep up. You will get wet from inside. This is a tricky case for all outdoorsmen whether it be hiking or hunting and as far as i know the only remedy is to slow your pace down so you aren't generating as much excess sweat. Some people just don't sweat as much as others, so the reports on breathability of Gore-Tex vary wildly. Having said that, i've still found it to be the best breathable waterproof fabric of all the others i've tried. And i've tried proprietary fabrics by other makers such as Northface HyVent, or Columbia OmniTech, Helly Hansen Helly Tech etc.

Some choose to forego the breathability altogether and get the Helly Hansen rubber bibs/jacket. Honestly, this combo is only good if you're working in a dirty fish farm or something where you need to hose yourself down often. These rubber clothes suffer from a multitude of drawbacks while being no more or less waterproof than a good gore-tex jacket. Having used it for fishing some of the drawbacks are:

- horrible fit. No articulation means every time you move or lift your arms the jacket is riding up
- no breathability. that's a given with rubber-type materials (nylon, PVC or whatever it actually is)
- open sleeves. lift your arms up and all the rain off your hands is sliding down your wrists and getting your inner layers wet. Wear this fishing and you got a nice pool of water at your elbow in no time.
- still makes noise as you walk, especially when cold and the material becomes stiff. It's like wearing a trap in my experience.

Those who advocate for helly hansen rubber stuff while claiming they have tried "numerous types" of rain gear, have truly never tried GOOD rain gear. Because GOOD rain gear is not cheap.

The best GOOD rain jackets you can buy would be gore-tex ones made by reputable outdoors companies such as Arcteryx, Simms, MEC, etc. But you're looking at at least $350-$400 for Simms/MEC and probably $500+ for Arcteryx. None will stay quiet though. The only way to get a good quiet one is to buy from a hunting-specific company such as Sitka which is probably also going to be $400 or so for a good rain jacket.

That is of course if you actually need a proper and GOOD rain jacket.

Where i hunt I have no need for a rain jacket as it is fairly dry so a softshell type of jacket that is windproof is adequate for me.

Thank you! Wow, I was starting to wonder if this was one of those "grouse tag" threads! Good insight and advice.

Bugle M In
10-30-2015, 03:43 PM
yes, if it doesn't breath, you will get wet from condensation, especially while walking.
I just use it in a deluge, to stay dry, once the rain is over, off it comes.
They can also help in heavy cold winds, especially sheep hunting, if you are just sitting there spotting.
I like gortex rain gear from browning because it is very light and very packable and breathes to some degree...that's all.
Otherwise I just hunt in my fleece stuff, but ya, if I could afford it, that sitka stuff looks good for what it is designed to do.
But than, so is wool, just not cotton!!! that is the main thing to avoid....polyester is great for drying quickly...
Just don't stand near the fire and the sparks!
That is the one thing wool is better at for sure.
But it is itchy for some, like myself.

Fallkniven
10-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes worth mentioning the limitations of wool, as stated, its great for showers etc, esp if the wool has the natural lanolin intact (don't wash wool with harsh detergents as this will be stripped way) but wool really fails when it gets a soaking, several things happen, one is that although wool is still insulative when wet, it isn't when its saturated, also wool has the capacity to absorb several times its weight in water, so when soaked it not only stops insulating, but its weight starts to pull open the weave, leaving you open to the wind and the wind-chill.... and then probably wools worst feature, is trying to dry it. If the item is really soaked, then you have got an over night job to dry it properly, because of its enormous capacity to absorb water, it takes a long time to get rid of it all, and often this can also distort the shape/weave.

I wear wool (quality lanolin intact, tight weave) in dry or short showers etc, (also bear in mind wool is Ok in wind, but not 100% wind resistant) but if you expect persistent rain or short heavydown pours wool is not going to help you much, you are better off with a membrane (gortex or similar, look for something with a water column rating of 5000 or more) or a quality polycotton that is waxed at contact points, as this gives a good combination of breathability and waterproofing.

Someone is bound to point out that sheep don't seem to have any issues with wool...but sheep have a wool structure (long outer, short insulating inner hairs) that cannot be replicated in clothing, and also they grow the wool all the time and their skin constantly produces the oily lanolin, so that it is in effect re waterproofing itself all the time, again not something we can replicate in clothing.

But good membrane clothing can be brought at reasonable cost and its relatively quite, pretty breathable and pretty waterproof, so a good combination for most situations etc.