PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the mule deer rut

OKsean
10-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

Hope everyone's been enjoying their season so far. I've been doing some searching on line and on this site but I haven't been able to find much info on hunting the (apparently) mysterious and approaching mule deer rut. November is coming and I'm going to try for a nice buck. I've heard this time of year is when I'll have a better chance at a big one. I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips and tactics for hunting the mule deer rut: eg. calling, rattling vs. not, times of day, hiking vs. sitting still etc. Any and all info would be appreciated. I'm located in the Okanagan, but I'm not looking for anyone's honey holes. Only mentioned this fact in case anyone has any tactics that have worked locally. Thanks!

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 01:34 PM
mulie rut was the only time I ever followed mulie tracks in the snow and caught up to it...boom nice 3x4

Glenny
10-26-2015, 01:57 PM
I think we are in that post pre-rut funk when they all seem to disappear.. Did see some does today. and there were a few bucks around. maybe she starts to chime now.

bassplayer
10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
If you spot some does then sit down and watch. Mr buck wont always be standing with them. He may be bedded or standing a ways from them. Usually a vantage point so he can keep watch for approaching danger. My last muley buck was a nice 4 point that i took on November 7th last year. I watched the 6 does for a half an hour and then he finally stepped out.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/DSC06799_zpsq5mpjdtq.jpg

Steelpulse
10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Thats a sweet buck above any other photos very cool,

in response to question just get out in the woods and track if there is fresh snow even follow doe tracks untik you cross a bigger set of presumably buck tracks. Finding does and just watching, basically getting into the woods and hoping to cross paths with a buck

Bugle M In
10-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Thats a sweet buck above any other photos very cool,

in response to question just get out in the woods and track if there is fresh snow even follow doe tracks untik you cross a bigger set of presumably buck tracks. Finding does and just watching, basically getting into the woods and hoping to cross paths with a buck

That's been one of the biggest problems...not much snow the past few years.
can make it hard to see how "busy" the area is.
But, as others say, stick around the Doe's, and yes, Mr. Big might be bedded elsewhere.
The buck I took a couple years back, had used the same bedding area several times.
I could tell, because there were 4 to 5 sets of tracks leading into and out of that bed.

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 02:46 PM
That's been one of the biggest problems...not much snow the past few years.
can make it hard to see how "busy" the area is.
But, as others say, stick around the Doe's, and yes, Mr. Big might be bedded elsewhere.
The buck I took a couple years back, had used the same bedding area several times.
I could tell, because there were 4 to 5 sets of tracks leading into and out of that bed.

If you wound one, sometimes they will go back to their last safe place to lie down as well

OKsean
10-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Sweet buck in the above picture and nice pack-out method as well! Ya I think I've got a good area scouted out. I was up there yesterday and saw a few does, lots of sign and a couple well- worn game trails. Saw a few sets of tracks that were noticeably bigger as well. Consensus seems to be just get out there and see what happens , thats my plan for this weekend. Thanks!

JDR
10-26-2015, 08:19 PM
When I find an area with activity (i.e. beds, trails, crap, rubs etc.) I prefer to still hunt it. I walk slowly looking for any movement or bedded deer. Being patient can often result in you spotting the deer before it spots you. When I come across semi-open terrain I'll often sit and use my doe-in-heat can call. This call also works great for bringing back deer that you spooked that didn't see you. I know others have been successful with raking a tree with an antler and breaking branches. This time of year the mature bucks are cruising looking for does coming into heat. They cover a lot of ground and will often be active mid morning and even later. And as bassplayer stated, keep a watchful eye on those does and try not to alert them of your presence. Best of luck out there!

decker9
10-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Does anyone have any insight on calls and urine? Iv always wondered, would a guy use a different call for each? ( mulie and WT) And what about that fake piss, like buck bomb, does it matter if it's mulie or WT? Or do they all sound/smell the same?

bassplayer
10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
I have tried Tinks Smoking Sticks and Buck Bomb and i personally think they are a waste of money. That's just my own opinion as i had zero results with the stuff. I do have a friend that had great results using Code Red Buck Urine in a mock scrape that he made. But going back to mulies? I have on many occasions rattled in mulies.