PDA

View Full Version : I have many deer rut questions, any knowledge will be greatly appreciated!

Logan
10-25-2015, 09:33 PM
OK, so I moved to Kamloops last summer and I hunted here for deer last fall and got an average 2 pointer. I am new to deer hunting and this year I would like to get something a little bigger and I understand the thing to do is wait till mid Nov. I have been hunting all over the Kamloops area every weekend for about 6 weeks now and have seen a few bucks I coulda shot but I figured i'd leave them be till they grow up a bit.

So, during the rut the bigger ones come out from hiding and find a group of doe's to chase around yes? Does this break up the herds of doe's?

I see hundreds of them but they are all down low in farmers fields....so in order to get one of the bigger bucks do I have to find a friendly farmer to let me hunt on his land, or will the bigger bucks come and bring the doe's back up into the hills?

If they are all going to stay low is my only chance at getting a big one by catching it while its heading down low to the lady deer?

Say I hiked some bags of feed into a few special spots i've scoped out... would that be a way get a buck or some doe's to stick around for a few days until I get off work to come find 'em?

any tips or tricks help! thanks for reading!

Jelvis
10-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Mule ruts hot and heavy right now in the Kamloops forests, at night when no one is watching the bucks are in the bedroom with a hot doe. Breed at night and migrate at night.
The biggest bucks don't come out in the light, those bucks hanging in the day around does are sattalite bucks, the biggest bad boy is in the darkness of the buck brush and pines hiding during the day looking out. Those sattalite bucks can be 155 class typs. You won't see a big non-typ out in the open.
Go hunting tomorrow and until Nov 24th, the bucks and does are mating now heavy.
Oct 23rd to Nov 2nd and tapering down to the 24th.
Go where you seen lots of does in the past few days and BOOM!
Jelly -- good luck it is hot hunting in the hills now so get out there and look hard.

hoochie
10-25-2015, 10:49 PM
As jelvis said, find the does... you find the bucks. sit there and glass the tree line and all around behind the does, there may even be one bedded down among them.
Don't put food out. They will be where you saw them last, or somewhere near by that area. not far.

bc_buckshot
10-25-2015, 11:00 PM
This week is prime time get out and hunt. I don't care who say the moon is full these next days or if they don't have a horse shoe in there pocket. I just came home from was supposed to be week long hunt and ended up tagging out 745am. Saw 4 bucks together with couple does. Two of the bucks were fighting. Shot one of them two bucks fighting that had the bigger body. It's cold, rut is on. Moon was full didn't matter. Find a doe there's a big. There so stupid right now while gutting my buck the other 3 were watching. Got pics to prove

Logan
10-25-2015, 11:12 PM
awesome, thanks for the info guys! I have a pretty good idea what I gotta do now. Wish me luck, i'll make sure to post some pictures if I nail something worthy!

Bugle M In
10-25-2015, 11:50 PM
now is green light ...go,go,go!!
good luck!

sawmill
10-26-2015, 02:16 AM
now is green light ...go,go,go!!
good luck!

For Mulies yes, too early for the whities here.Mid to late November for them.

.300WSMImpact!
10-26-2015, 07:32 AM
its pre rut, you will get action for sure, rattle, grunts, rake trees, go find some does and sit back and do some calling have fun enjoy the outdoors!

.264winmag
10-26-2015, 05:08 PM
Don't write off idea of bait up and away in a honeyhole. Been doing it for last 4 years. Need biggest memory card available just to hold all the pics from deer coming/going. The bucks aren't eating it generally but the does are. Bucks like does and Blamo. I'm not just talking bucks coming in the dark either, food up in the timber deer visit all hours of the day.

OutWest
10-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Same as every year, the young bucks will be showing some "rutting" activity as they try to make it happen on their terms.

Logan
10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
I didn't think you could call in mule deer? do the grunts and rattling actually work, what about those cans of deer piss I saw at Wholesale reports....I kinda wrote it off as a gimmick but do the work?