PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was a dog at first.....

Seeker
10-25-2015, 03:33 PM
http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah143/bartlikesimpson/th_EK000007_zpsqgdjk6r5.mp4 (http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah143/bartlikesimpson/EK000007_zpsqgdjk6r5.mp4)

Pretty sure now its a wolf. Anyone know of who would be collaring them around Kelowna? I doubt the BC government would waste the money.

Whonnock Boy
10-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Looks like a wolf to me, and a gps collar.

The Dawg
10-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Definitely a GPS collared wolf

Sofa King
10-25-2015, 04:36 PM
I concur.....

ryanb
10-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Could have come up from South of the border. I think there are a few collaring studies under way south. Dispersing wolves have been known to travel thousands of miles.

steveo
10-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Shoot it, you might win something!

Daybreak
10-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Here's an article about a displaced US wolf that ended up in Canada. It says they can and will travel hundreds of miles in short order.

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2014/07/08/%E2%80%8Amontana-wolf-collar-recovered-canada-15-years/

Stone Sheep Steve
10-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Could have come up from South of the border. I think there are a few collaring studies under way south. Dispersing wolves have been known to travel thousands of miles.

For sure. They collared a female down near Lake Chelan a couple years ago. It headed straight north, hung around south of Brent mtn for a while then headed north and east.....swam the Columbia and some farmer shot it for killing his chickens in Revelstoke.

Seeker
10-25-2015, 08:52 PM
thx guys, looked to be alone, hard to say for sure. Trust me if I see it, I'll be giving it a dirt nap!

Sofa King
10-25-2015, 09:19 PM
well, since it's wearing a tracking collar, someone sure knows about it and where it is.

gcreek
10-25-2015, 09:22 PM
BCMOE is collaring them here too. Dan lay cleaned a pack out for us 2 falls ago that both alpha male and female were collared. They had been netgunned for capture on a lake 10 miles south of our ranch 2 years previous to their demise.

The bios were kind enough to let us know AFTER they were dead that the pack had never left active cattle range areas. Kind of them.

Your tax dollar at work.........

Bugle M In
10-25-2015, 11:53 PM
BCMOE is collaring them here too. Dan lay cleaned a pack out for us 2 falls ago that both alpha male and female were collared. They had been netgunned for capture on a lake 10 miles south of our ranch 2 years previous to their demise.

The bios were kind enough to let us know AFTER they were dead that the pack had never left active cattle range areas. Kind of them.

Your tax dollar at work.........

what mu are you in...if I can ask??

gcreek
10-26-2015, 05:58 AM
5-12 a, Anahim Lake.

Silverado
10-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Do researchers at universities collar wildlife at times?

budismyhorse
10-26-2015, 10:14 AM
collared for the wolf cull is what I would imagine......just decided to cut and run to a different part of the province.

Bugle M In
10-26-2015, 11:54 AM
I know they, the MOE, usually asked not to shoot "Collared" wildlife.
So, does that "unfortunately" apply to the wolf in this video.
Or, should we just not care?!
And just knock on the MOE's door, and say "here's your collar back"!

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 11:59 AM
in mortality studies I thought they want you to shoot...

Bugle M In
10-26-2015, 12:46 PM
in mortality studies I thought they want you to shoot...

Guess I missed the "Mortality" part somewhere in the threads....oops.

Seeker
10-26-2015, 12:53 PM
I know they, the MOE, usually asked not to shoot "Collared" wildlife.
So, does that "unfortunately" apply to the wolf in this video.
Or, should we just not care?!
And just knock on the MOE's door, and say "here's your collar back"!

Good point. I will contact the local Conservation Officer and request advice regarding appropriate action(s) if I was to see this wolf while hunting.

finngun
10-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Bullet is answer,,legal game..worry about collar after..

Ozone
10-26-2015, 01:01 PM
So your out hunting and see a wolf like dog with a collar. That would be a impossible shot for me unless I saw it in a pack or chasing game.

budismyhorse
10-26-2015, 01:07 PM
if it has a collar (any wildlife)......a lot of tax payer money has been spent on it and its better alive than dead.

for research, its meant to live and provide data (elk or mule deer studies for example).........for a wolf cull, its meant to show contractors where it is so they can snuff it along with the rest of its pack.

All good for hunters in the end.

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 01:07 PM
eaR taGS aND COllaRS
4Please DO NOt aVOiD hunting animals with ear tags or collars, unless specified under regional sections in the synopsis. this will ensure that biologists acquire accurate data on mortality rates. if you kill a marked animal, please contact your local Ministry office with the number on the ear tag or collar because the meat may not be safe to eat if immobilization drugs were used. ear tags and collars must be returned to the Ministry office.

from page 14 of the regs

Bugle M In
10-26-2015, 01:31 PM
eaR taGS aND COllaRS
4Please DO NOt aVOiD hunting animals with ear tags or collars, unless specified under regional sections in the synopsis. this will ensure that biologists acquire accurate data on mortality rates. if you kill a marked animal, please contact your local Ministry office with the number on the ear tag or collar because the meat may not be safe to eat if immobilization drugs were used. ear tags and collars must be returned to the Ministry office.
from page 14 of the regs

yup, page 14, of the BC Hunting Regs.
Blast away, just report, and return collar.
It is highlighted in green, so I am assuming it is a new change in the Regs, compared to past Regs.
In the past, I "thought" they asked to avoid shooting "collared game"
Thanks for the info Wideopen...

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 01:40 PM
unless specified under regional sections in the synopsis

I looked at regional section and no mention of a study or request to not shoot