PDA

View Full Version : road closure proposal for west kootenay's pend oreille valley - public meeting monday

rogerb
10-25-2015, 01:17 PM
http://www.traildailytimes.ca/ourtown/336323911.html

goatdancer
10-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Stupid people cause all kinds of environmental damage. These kinds of restrictions will continue.

rogerb
11-01-2015, 12:36 PM
some info & fallout from Monday's not-so-public meeting on proposed new access restrictions to the pend oreille valley near Trail.

http://www.traildailytimes.ca/ourtown/338031101.html

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/letters/338431992.html

honda1
12-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Put the elk back to leh and let the land heal all this extra pressure with it being an open season has brought to many hunters to a small area which ends up beating the population of all the animals and the earth to rat shit

Drillbit
12-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Put the elk back to leh and let the land heal all this extra pressure with it being an open season has brought to many hunters to a small area which ends up beating the population of all the animals and the earth to rat shit

I agree.

BC residents are getting the shaft again. Not only hunters, but recreational users.

The guides will be in full support of this.

BgBlkDg
12-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Keep the GOS for all species, ban all ATV use for hunting and start a serious predator control programme.

Keep ALL GOs OUT of the entire area and allow ONLY BC citizen-resident hunting in the entire Kootenays.

Eliminate ANY industrial activities that alienate wildlife habitat.

MORE COs and SEVERE punishments for any poachers.

one-shot-wonder
12-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Why go LEH and limit people to hunt elk once in a lifetime. Come up with a sensible access mangement plan, restricting ORV and only allowing certain roads to have access.
The result is anybody can then hunt the GOS.

zippermouth
12-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Why go LEH and limit people to hunt elk once in a lifetime. Come up with a sensible access mangement plan, restricting ORV and only allowing certain roads to have access.
bingo!!!!!

Rattler
12-08-2015, 09:19 PM

Bingo x2, although I do think the elk GOS should be shorter.

Drillbit
12-08-2015, 10:26 PM

This closure isn't just for hunting. It's for all MV access. (At least that what I am under the impression of)

Hunting isn't all that's at stake here.

The Kootenay's is slowly turning into the US in regards of public access.

greybark
12-08-2015, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=BgBlkDg;1722846]Keep the GOS for all species, ban all ATV use for hunting and start a serious predator control programme.

Keep ALL GOs OUT of the entire area and allow ONLY BC citizen-resident hunting in the entire Kootenays.

Eliminate ANY industrial activities that alienate wildlife habitat.

MORE COs and SEVERE punishments for any poachers.[/QUOTE

I certainly agree with you proposals . Would you be OK with ATV access with special disability permits ?

one-shot-wonder
12-08-2015, 10:41 PM
This closure isn't just for hunting. It's for all MV access. (At least that what I am under the impression of)

Hunting isn't all that's at stake here.

The Kootenay's is slowly turning into the US in regards of public access.

That's a breath of fresh air. Usually only hunting closures are put in and other industry / stakeholders can continue to access, usually to extract resources.
IMO the issue isn't access, it's how much access and by what vehicles. ORV's are a major player in the destruction of habitat and enable people to penetrate much farther into the back country than ever before. Things in southern BC have reached their tipping point with access. The pendulum needs to swing in the other direction PDQ!!

goinghunting
12-08-2015, 11:00 PM

I agree with this post. I live in the west kootenays and have witnessed first hand what opening elk to GOS in this tiny area has done. While I like being able to hunt elk in my backyard it is a real shame the absolute sheer abuse that has happened on these previously leh protected zones. There is a quad/truck trail to the top of every ridge and zig zagging every square inch of this place. The humble animal numbers have been crushed by the influx of hunters. Its an absolute rat race and these vehicle closures might help, so im all for them. Alot of the locals are dead against it because this area is heavily used for all forms of recreation and admitedly it wouldnt have been the area I would have chosen but its a step in the right direction. Its got stupid here and something has to change.

Xenomorph
12-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Boot on the ground, horse back hunts. Back to basics. Enough with the weekend warriors on Yamaha Grizzlies. Nothing wrong with "some" road hunting in overpopulated areas, but too many people are in for the easy kill instead of the hunt.

tuner
12-09-2015, 12:58 AM
A few hunter and atv riders are more detrimental to the enviroment and wildlife habitat than the moonscape wastelands the governments allows logging firms to create? Piss poor forest management practices by government is where the blame should be squarely placed. The liberals are genius at exploiting resources, for little return, squeezing it till the last drop, then comes the realization "oh shit we f$@&$? This up", time to deflect blame, "we can't blame the logging company's because we allowed and encouraged it,so let's keep prying eyes out of there by banning ATV riders, and restricting hunters in the name of conservation" poof,problem solved,and it didn't cost a dime to restore a square inch of habitat.