PDA

View Full Version : Which ducks are legal to shoot?

HoneyBadger
10-25-2015, 09:11 AM
This might be a stupid question, but which ducks are legal to shoot? I can't find anything in the regulations other than the limits on the 4 restricted species (Pintails, Canvasbacks, Goldeneyes, and Harlequins). So does that mean all others are fair game? And if so, does that include mergansers and grebes?

Last question: When it says the daily limit is 2 Goldeneye does it mean 2 Common and 2 Barrow's or 2 overall?

Thanks!!

6.5x55
10-25-2015, 09:33 AM
Just remember if you shoot it you have to eat it. Like the mergansers that are gorging themselves on rotten pink salmon.

wideopenthrottle
10-26-2015, 07:08 AM
never eaten a fish duck or a coot..thot grebes were protected but I guess I should check before posting...isn't there a limit on black ducks too? only hunted migratory 2 x in the last 25 years or so but grew up doing it every fall as much as possible...it is the most fun of any kind of hunting if you like to shoot lots

Foxton Gundogs
10-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Grebes are protected, coots are good eating anyone who doesn't think so I bet has never tried them.

wideopenthrottle
10-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Grebes are protected, coots are good eating anyone who doesn't think so I bet has never tried them.
I shot a couple once as a kid but my folks didn't want to cook them.....we called them rice hens and didn't shoot them cuz there were so many ducks instead..they are obviously not a duck when you see them so, as a family, we didn't shoot em..... same went for fish ..the only fish we kept was walleye (and occasionally lake trout when we went to a trout lake) all others were returned (pike, bass, crappie, musky etc) or fed to the eagles (perch)..sometimes when game/fish is plenty you can pick and choose the "best" or "choice" one...we also never shot spruce grouse for the same reason...in hind sight, we were too picky...

Foxton Gundogs
10-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Like I say coots are good eating we used to eat a lot of them in deer camp and they have their own limit so don't cut into your ducks.

Lastcar
10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Like I say coots are good eating we used to eat a lot of them in deer camp and they have their own limit so don't cut into your ducks.

First waterfowl we ever ate was a coot. All I got on my first day of duck hunting. We did our best and powered through most of it. Wasn't great, but I'd blame that on us not the coot.

As someone else said, you kill you eat it. So we did. I'd probably try again.

warnniklz
10-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Just remember if you shoot it you have to eat it. Like the mergansers that are gorging themselves on rotten pink salmon.

I was going to say mergansers were the only legal ones... but I'm not THAT mean

lorneparker1
10-27-2015, 10:45 AM
This might be a stupid question, but which ducks are legal to shoot? I can't find anything in the regulations other than the limits on the 4 restricted species (Pintails, Canvasbacks, Goldeneyes, and Harlequins). So does that mean all others are fair game? And if so, does that include mergansers and grebes?

Last question: When it says the daily limit is 2 Goldeneye does it mean 2 Common and 2 Barrow's or 2 overall?

Thanks!!

All other ducks are legal to shoot yes. Grebes aren't a duck, neither are cormorants or loons. Harlis are 2 a day. and for golden eyes its 2 total.

Lorne