PDA

View Full Version : GWPs on Vancouver Island

FastGreyDog
10-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Hello,

We're in the Comox Valley, proud owners of a fabulous intact male German Wirehaired Pointer, purebread CKC registered.

Haven't seen ANY other GWPs in our area, and folks often ask us what breed he is.

We're posting to make contact with other islanders and folks on the BC mainland with this wonderful intelligent breed. We don't hunt him, but he was trained by a prior owner. We're rural with acres for him and his girl to run.

Would love to have some posts from folks with this breed, and any info on BC breeders for GWP, not the shorthairs.

thanks.

jlirot
10-25-2015, 08:23 AM
I've got one just a year old here in Vancouver. Best damn dog I've ever had (and I've had a bunch).

I'll be looking for a stud in about a year so please keep in touch. You can PM me your contact info if you like.

CBH
10-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Every bird hunter and/or dog owner will have their own opinions regarding which dog is the best. I grew up with GWPs, and labs as an older child. I have always been a hunter of all types, especially birds. Three years ago I was lucky enough to purchase Sitka, a CKC registered german wire-haired pointer from Someday Retrievers in Kamloops. At the time, it was their first litter of GWPs. They have an amazing "bitch" who comes from great hunting lines. Since then, I have had the great fortune of hunting many species of birds over my gwp. My friends and I have been very impressed with the versatility of the this dog!! Sitka has no problems going from pointing chukars to blue grouse to pheasants, and to understanding sitting in a goose blind in a field to retrieving downed ducks in water. I can't say enough about this breed. I truly enjoy that you love this breed as much as I do!

If you want to see pics of Sitka in his various hunting adventures, check out http://cedarandsagebrush.com You can also follow us on instagram, search cedarandsagebrush.

samwyse
02-02-2016, 03:57 AM
I've got one just a year old here in Vancouver. Best damn dog I've ever had (and I've had a bunch).

I'll be looking for a stud in about a year so please keep in touch. You can PM me your contact info if you like.

I got my GWP/Lab from a guy up in Chilliwack. He's interested in finding a GWP bitch. He said his stud was Drathdaar, I didn't really check as it didn't matter to me. PM if you want a number.