PDA

View Full Version : For the newbies- talk tag soup

two-feet
10-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Common theme is the newer hunter lamenting the fact that they have not got an animal yet. Maybe some stories of dry spells or success after years of trying?

I am a passionate moose hunter and cut a tag this season for the first time in years, and not for lack of trying! I have been in on successful hunts but this year i was the trigger man. Will post it up later in the winter when I get my poop in a group.

As i get older I am actually less and less concerned with the harvest, mostly as my experience has taught me that sometimes it just does not come together as planned. And because such an excellent time is had just in the camaraderie of being out in the wild country. When it does happen and an animal is taken the moment is all the more special because of past hunts that did not work out.

Adversity is a good thing.

honeyman76
10-24-2015, 08:20 AM
My first 4 point mule deer buck was in 2000. My second mule deer buck was a 2x2 a few days ago. I past up lots of bucks over the years. The number one reason when looking back is A) couldn't be 100% that the buck I was looking at was a 4 x4 in 4 point season, and B) when I did see a buck in any buck, whether due to geography or the buck taking off before getting a shot off, just plain unlucky

Elkchaser
10-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Good topic. Especially after elk closing. Spent my first 8 years of elk hunting given'r. 15-25 days/yr... Many frustrating 'at the time' events with 5 points or big boys I was 99% sure we're 6 points but couldn't confirm. Most were solo hunting with advise from experienced elk hunters that was always appreciated. Year 6 was the break-through and my fondest to date. Hunted EK bow season, and the last 5 days had me experience encounters with 5 different Bulls within 50 yards. Carrying a long bow I couldn't close the deal, but what an awesome time. Day one of rifle season ended with folks I knew but wasn't hunting with harvest a beautiful bull I was hoping to get. Hot weather meant my buddy and I helped pack that bull out for those two lucky hunters. I remember that Bulls smell, a million stars, my exhausted body and hearing a pack of excited coyotes like it all happened yesterday.
The point of all this is, it's not just about punching the tag-it's about learning from being out there and making mistakes, some yours, some from circumstances out of your control. Getting my first bull solo on year 8 was thrilling for sure, but I earned that guy and the next spring had to move to terrace - no elk there! Since then, those years of learnings have been successfully applied in ft st James several times, chetwynd, muskwa, EK. Moved back to EK this year and punched my tag on the 14th. Some might say I was lucky, 20 years of hard work say luck played a small part.
Also like to add - spending time on 'easier' prey helps learning essential skills, namely deer hunting. Taking spikers early in your hunting days builds good confidence and amazing table fare.Getting out for ducks/geese or upland birds makes you a better shooter and the action is fun. Years ago, after some hard elk hunting lessons/schooling, I'd go duck hunting for an evening hunt. Nothing like a box of shells to get me ginned up again.
bottom line - the more you put in, the more you get back.
good luck!

HarryToolips
10-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Your exactly right 2-feet...I know a guy who is an experienced hunter, has hunted for 10+ years, and only harvested one deer..I myself had great 'harvesting' success in my first 3 seasons, then went dry for 3 seasons before taking 2 so far this season..didn't get anything for various reasons during those times, unlucky/no shooting lanes/passed on a few legal deer/bear for various reasons, but I learned more in those 3 seasons compared to the first 3 where I did have harvesting success.. I have also learned since having a kid that just getting out there once a week or more is a privilege, getting an animal is just a huge bonus...just enjoy the time out in nature...

HarryToolips
10-24-2015, 09:18 AM
My first 4 point mule deer buck was in 2000. My second mule deer buck was a 2x2 a few days ago. I past up lots of bucks over the years. The number one reason when looking back is A) couldn't be 100% that the buck I was looking at was a 4 x4 in 4 point season, and B) when I did see a buck in any buck, whether due to geography or the buck taking off before getting a shot off, just plain unlucky
It's amazing how many different things have to come together to actually harvest an animal isn't it??

quadrakid
10-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Had a moose leh this year. Despite warm wet weather and dropping moose numbers we still managed to get close to a few bulls ,just never connected.It sucks to come home,a two day drive,empty handed but ya no what. That's hunting. Trips are measured by memories not meat.

Rob Chipman
10-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Two types of tag soup, I guess.

Got a draw around Chilcotin Lake a few years ago. Great looking country, but I'd never hunted it. Got there and found zero moose sign, and lots of wolf sign. Tag soup. Sucked. Never really felt like we were in the game.

On the other hand, last year we got skunked in an area we hunt regularly. There were moose there, as well as a particular muley buck we'd been seeing on the trail cam for 2 years. We bumped him and got a good look, but never got the shot. Still, good times. We knew we were in the mix, and that made it different (didn't hurt getting a bear the last day, either).

Still, I agree with others. The success of the trip isn't measured in pounds of meat. Go with the right guys, get the right challenge, it'll be good.

Caribou_lou
10-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm far from a newbie. But I'm cooking tag soup for now. Hope to cut one in the AM! I have a book full...

two-feet
10-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Your exactly right 2-feet...I know a guy who is an experienced hunter, has hunted for 10+ years, and only harvested one deer..I myself had great 'harvesting' success in my first 3 seasons, then went dry for 3 seasons before taking 2 so far this season..didn't get anything for various reasons during those times, unlucky/no shooting lanes/passed on a few legal deer/bear for various reasons, but I learned more in those 3 seasons compared to the first 3 where I did have harvesting success.. I have also learned since having a kid that just getting out there once a week or more is a privilege, getting an animal is just a huge bonus...just enjoy the time out in nature...

Yes having two little kids has not made my wife any more eager for me to leave for two weeks of hunting....

but i still get out. Time is such a prescious commodity now that i just appreciate every moment.

Buckmeister
10-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Well, my tag soup is by choice really. I have nothing to complain about as I could have tagged out on opening day for the last 5 years or more. I'm just too dang choosy, and have passed up countless, easy to kill, bucks. But it was all worth it to see my son connect on a 190 class mule deer two years ago!

Bugle M In
10-26-2015, 12:08 AM
I don't have a problem with tag soup.
I do have a problem with being out there, putting in all the effort I can,
and not seeing anything all week, and knowing, there isn't much I can do about it.
I am lucky, that I have encountered a great many scenarios, such as coming face to face with bull elk so many times,
and having opportunities to pull the trigger on a 4pt mulies, but than don't.
As long as I see stuff, at least I know I will encounter some "new type" of scenario that I have encountered before.
Being out there with family and friends is always fun and the best part.
But being out there with them and having some action always helps....for everyone there.
At least then it doesn't matter to me if the tag gets cut or not.

Wagonmaster
10-26-2015, 07:31 AM
Passed up a nice mulie 2 point while on our annual trip to the Chilcotins earlier this month, broadside at 40 yards. Thought I'd get a bigger one. Didn't happen and the freezer is down to the last few packages from 2014. Being from the Island, my only hope is an Island blacktail and finding one of those has been a challenge for a number of years now. Sure I enjoyed the trip, but tag soup is looking like a real possibility. Not happy with my decision. Bring on the store bought burger, steroids and antibiotics included.

Ozone
10-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Have eaten more tags than deer and Im ok with that. Let lots walk. For me its more about getting out into the bush and seeing nature.

heatherdaddy
10-26-2015, 09:56 AM
I have has tag soup for the last 6 yrs. I have put on miles by boot and just couldnt connect yet.
I know it will happen soon.
My hunting partner has stopped going this year after 1 trip because he said we havent gotten anything so why go, my answer was because if you dont get out there you will never get one. Last I checked they dont come knocking on your door asking you to shoot them.
I am hoping to knock something down in the next month or so when I get the chance to get back out there.

benevs
10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
I have has tag soup for the last 6 yrs. I have put on miles by boot and just couldnt connect yet.
I know it will happen soon.
My hunting partner has stopped going this year after 1 trip because he said we havent gotten anything so why go, my answer was because if you dont get out there you will never get one. Last I checked they dont come knocking on your door asking you to shoot them.
I am hoping to knock something down in the next month or so when I get the chance to get back out there.

That's to bad for your friend, his loss. Like most of the previous posts, it's all
about the comadarie and spending time out in the woods. Seeing animals up close and seeing them consistently is the first goal. Shooting one of them is just a bonus.

Good luck on your next hunt, hopefully you find that big Wiley buck then you can call buddy over to help
butcher it :razz:

ducktoller
10-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Had a goat draw and realized a love for mtn hunting. Planned routes and researched well but unfortunately a family death meant no august scouting, and taking shifts I had booked off to hunt.

Only had 2.5 days to go instead of six (work 6 day weeks) and only saw grouse, ptarmigan, tracks for deer, and bear.

But the longer trip I had originally planned turned out to be a success that same weekend for another draw winner! Didn't get my goat but had a great weekend, made friends with some non hunters on the mountain, and found my 'place' in hunting. Plus I successful planned a would be successful Hunt if life didn't get in the way. I'll be putting in for that draw again.

In my third self taught year with no game but it's less frustrating now. Seen cool wildlife like a badger catching a bird out of mid air!

Itll happen when it does. Only a few days to get out in the rut but I'll be trying for sure.

Last year the doe that bedded 10 yards beside me for 4 hours the day after my doe draw was frustrating. Or the bear this year that looked massive. HaD my sight ready for the shot as he came up above the bump he was behind.... only to be scared off by a dirt bike ripping by.... that was crushing.

ducktoller
10-26-2015, 11:34 PM
Fwiw I couldn't remember deer doe id well enough on my first day huntin. Had I known better I would've shot my first deer within ten minutes of the truck!

604Stalker
10-27-2015, 06:01 AM
After almost 2 years haven't punched a tag..shot 2 grouse and that's about it. I have seen deer on almost every outing just not connected with a legal buck. At times it can be discouraging but its more about getting out there. That being said I better get one soon or the wife is gonna loose her shit for me taking off every weekend.

sawmill
10-27-2015, 11:19 AM
It`s nice here.I have only been able to get out twice but have passed a lot of deer.Pulled the trigger yesterday on a big fat dry doe, one more to go.I can take either another doe or a buck.I have lots of antlers on the wall so maybe another doe. I`m in it for the meat. By the way, I have never been skunked in 40 years of hunting. But I live in a great place too.........