PDA

View Full Version : New hunter - teaching myself (8-8)

Five
10-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Hi guys,

I am a long time shooter who finally decided to try hunting this year. I am starting simply as far is gear is concerned, I really only have a rifle, backpack, knife, and game bags etc. I am doing a lot of hiking and have really been enjoying it, but I haven't had the success I might have hoped for. I live in 8-8 and really don't have anyone to show me the ropes, nor did I grow up hunting. I have been out 6 full days and have only seen one buck, a white tail, and I could not get a sight picture on him before he was flying in the opposite direction.

I have been pouring over this forum as well as youtube, and have purchased several well reviewed books. I am hoping that someone in the area might be able to show me a thing or two, as even if I get a buck I may have a hard time field dressing it with any precision. I am not looking for magical tips that will take all effort out of hunting, but I do feel that I have been putting the time in to learn and would like to have some success. I would love to get a mulie before Oct. 31st.

Is there anyone who knows the area who can give me some direction, either in regards to areas or methods? Alternatively is there anyone in the area that might be able to take a little time to pass on their knowledge to a beginner?

I will be going out early tomorrow, but at this point I am just using google earth to try and find areas that look, in my inexperienced eyes, like they might hold a buck. It has taken me about a week to be approved to post or I would I have done so sooner!

Thanks!

AlexPdHJ
10-23-2015, 11:49 PM
As a beginner myself, I found success by finding a game trail which crossed a road (tracks, droppings, etc.) and I sat about 125m away from it with the wind in my face with a solid rest and full camo. I didn't move, make a sound, or anything for hours on end. I sat there from before first light until about 10:30-11:00am, went back to camp for lunch, and then returned to sit there from 1:30pm until dark. I got my first deer (whitetail 5x5) on day 5. He appeared at 165m from me heading to the crossing. I took the approach that if I don't have skill I can at least have patience. Field dressing isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had my father in law there in case I had a problem, but honestly, youtube prepared me pretty damn well to do a good job. Obviously you have done your CORE, so you know the importance of cooling the meat quickly. Also, skin it back at camp while it is still warm (way easier than if it is cold).

375shooter
10-24-2015, 12:14 AM
Stand hunting along a well used trail is very effective for whitetails but it's not necessary to be 125m unless the cover is very open. If in the bush, 50 or 60 yards is okay as long as the wind is in your favor and you're quiet and still. A tree stand is way better than being on the ground. Patients is key and as long as you have that, you will eventually be successful. Hang in there and good luck. When you do get your first buck, don't forget to show us the pictures.:smile:

Marlowethelazydog
10-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Pm sent I live in the same region

two-feet
10-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Hunting can be slow, boring, frustrating. All of these animals you see on this forum come after more or less time waiting, what you see is the result of a brief window of opportunity that was executed on. The thing to realize is that things change instantly, you have to be prepared when it does.

Your hunting career spans a week, do not get too discouraged at this point. Keep at it and be ready, the deer hunting should just be heating up now.

M.Dean
10-24-2015, 07:32 AM
What I do when I'm in a new area is road hunt! Until I find out where the animals live, by that I mean when you see a group of deer, lets say run across the road in front of you, watch where there headed, can you find a way to get in front of them? Is there a clearing where there going so you can get a better view, and maybe a shot off? Look for tracks crossing the road or trails your on, do they all seem to be going in one general direction? And if so, where are they going? And when you do see some animals and your trying to get closer, go slow! Try to use every tree and bush to your advantage, never walk across a opening, walk around it if there's deer around. And one of the main things I try to teach the kids is this, Use your Bino's, Lots"! "There's 5 does, Oh well, no Bucks, lets go" say's the guy that never shoot's anything! I say " Look Closely, there's 3 big Bucks look'in right at us behind that group of tree's"! Shoot the 5 point!!! And we go back to camp with your first Huge Buck! So, in a nut shell, Find out where there's animals, use your truck or car, quad, bike, skateboard, I don't care, but cruise around until you find them. Now that you've spotted animals, grab your rifle and your pack and go after them! And take your time if your getting close to them, watch the wind, a deer can see you wave your arm at a thousand yards, and if he's smart, you'll never see him! Glass every tree and bush, most animals, once they hear you will find a hiding spot where they can see what your going to do without you seeing them, With your Naked Eye! And that Tim, is why your using your Bino's, "Right"!!! Now go get one!!! We'll all be watch'in you close, and we can't wait to see pic's of you and your huge 4 Point Buck! Good Luck out there!

Five
10-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the PMs and replies and some great tips, I will keep at it and update with any success I have. One of my mistakes so far might be that I have been covering a huge amount of territory. I covered a huge distance of rough terrain and could barely stand after the car ride home. I saw 5 does and like you said Dean I very quickly moved on. I also saw about 12 grouse roosting together but only had my rifle.

I hope to get out today if I can