PDA

View Full Version : using calls or scents to attract black tails....

nuadixion
10-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Has anybody tried it....what and how well does it work .... what is your experience ?

takla1
10-23-2015, 09:38 PM
Rattle bags and doe bleat...works well if there within hearing range and in rut..

hunter

Coachman
10-23-2015, 10:39 PM
There was just an episode on w*&d TV about texeda island blacktail hunting.

They used a call but it sounded very different from any deer call I've ever heard.

Seemed to work well for them.

boxhitch
10-24-2015, 06:01 AM
episode on w*&d TVwhich show was that ?

nuadixion
10-24-2015, 12:06 PM
I never put much faith into them.....walk, hike, stock were main ways of doing it.....weather had to be bad for the success rates to be high, otherwise it was mostly nice hike and at first and last light "sit and wait" techniques .....
One time my friend brought some scents and calls on his first ever hunt....long story short - he set himself up and called one in....(!?) I thought it must have been a coincident....
Couple of days ago i went for a hunt knowing it is going to be sunny and quiet, so i armed myself with those gizmo gadgets.......after short walk in the bush i heard one gallop away....i thought i was seeking like a cougar and yet he spotted me first ......all pissed off, I picked a spot on high ground with somewhat decent view, lighted up the scent stick and cracked open the call box.....15 mins in, the 2pt walks slowly looking at my direction......that was the last thing he saw.
So it must have worked.....or it was another coincident?

Bugle M In
10-24-2015, 09:50 PM
keep tarsal glands if you do connect with a "stinky" buck.
Freeze em, and use them next season....that does work.
As for calls...I never had success with grunt tubes or cans on mulies or blacktails..
but Dana swears that "burping" will work...at the right time.
Hasn't ever worked for me as of yet.
Rattling also works on Mulies and blacktais...as I am told by many.
One call that might work bring in a doe, which might bring I a buck is a fawn bleat.