PDA

View Full Version : barnes tsx takes a black bear dramatically

elkguide
05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Shot my first bear of the season last night ( 6'4" with a 19" green skull)...shot him with my trusty ol '06 , using federal premium loaded with 180 grn. barnes Tsx bullets. Damn I love these bullets... a 200 yard shot in the shoulder....entered in the shoulder and with 0 deflection penatrated through the opposite shoulder. Never recovered the bullet to see the mushroom...but the exit hole wasn't to big.....massive damage internally.....I recomend Barnes TSX with ever breath I breath. ( as I'm still using a 35 mm camera I don't have pics yet but I'll post them in the next few days after I have them developed....I think its time for a digital!!!!).....One bear to go for myself and two for the Wife ( Saw a 7 footer this morning but I haven't bought my second tag yet so I'll go get him in a couple days) Has anyone seen a Black bear that is bald from the nose above his Eyebrows? He has lots of Dead skin falling off all the way to his shoulders....lots of battle scars on his face....nice hide but a real ugly bear. What could cause this?

BlacktailStalker
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Congrats. That's a hog of a bear. Nice to see another TSX fan, I am firmly one for life after last seasons performance on my spring bear and fall elk. Of course everyone is going to want so see a picture !!

todbartell
05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
for a hunting bullet, it is real hard to beat a TSX

looking forward to the pics, sounds like a brute! :twisted:

StoneChaser
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Barnes TSX, boringly predictable....nothing beats'em!

Looking forward to the pics, congrats!

Will
05-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Shot my first bear of the season last night ( 6'4" with a 19" green skull)
Sounds like a Great Bear, Congrats 8)

............bald from the nose above his Eyebrows? He has lots of Dead skin falling off all the way to his shoulders....lots of battle scars on his face....nice hide but a real ugly bear. What could cause this?
Could be he has some Mange........:|
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/bald_bear.jpg

elkguide
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Barnes TSX, boringly predictable....nothing beats'em!

Looking forward to the pics, congrats! thanks bud....I've gotta say there was nothing boring about the impact that bullet had on that bear.....he colapsed on the spot ( I've seen lots of animals drop but not like this one did) it was like someone hit a switch and off went his brain.....and like something really heavy rammed him into the ground. it was awsome.

tracker
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
here is one that went through a front shoulder of a 7 foot blackie and into the heart some liver and bust 2 ribs and hung up under the hide. 160 tsx:lol: http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/?action=view&current=back.jpg
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/?action=view&current=upsidedown.jpg
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/?action=view&current=barnesx160gr7mmmag.jpg

HighCountry
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
congrats for you first bear of the season can't wait to see the picture.

elkguide
05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like a Great Bear, Congrats 8)

Could be he has some Mange........:|
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/bald_bear.jpg I didn't know that bears could get mange ( I've only seen it in wolves)....can it be transmited to dogs if they get near it? I sure hope not cause we have 5 dogs and the all had to be tough with it after I got it home.

Will
05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I didn't know that bears could get mange ( I've only seen it in wolves)....can it be transmited to dogs if they get near it? I sure hope not cause we have 5 dogs and the all had to be tough with it after I got it home.
Mange is a "Parasite" (mites) and does spread through contact.....even Humans can get it:|

LeverActionJunkie
05-08-2007, 02:16 PM
Damn tracker thats a hog you got on your photobucket gallery!

eastkoot
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
The bald face is probably an offspring of that bear in the John Candy movie !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bighornbob
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I have seen a few bears (all at the taxidermist) that have had no hear on their heads. The taxidermist calls them Monkey head bears. He says he sees them quite often. Sound like you got your self a monkey head bear:lol:

BHB

Onesock
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I have seen this before on a bear I had done a few years ago. The Taxidermist called it a monkey face so I don't think it is all that uncommon. Maybe he just rubbed/scratched the hair off his face?

Elkhound
05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Congrats on the bear

sounds like some real bruisers hitting the ground this year. Awesome. Can't wait for the pics.

elkguide
05-08-2007, 06:29 PM
To update the symptoms of my bear ( I had a guy that has been guiding for 35 years look at it....) he says it is common for some of the bears taken from the area I hunt. As far as he can say it isn't mange ( the weird thing is we had a tough winter...lots of snow and we have 50 or so horses that have the worst lice I've seen in 20 years) I wonder if the heavy snow has something to do with mite and lice populations?