PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru SS Box Stove

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Has anyone used a Kifaru Collapsible SS box stove ? or does anyone know of a similar alternative ?

Thoughts or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance
WF

BgBlkDg
10-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Yes, but there are alternative choices, see Hill People Gear, and EdTs site and one made in Alberta.

I had a lot of Kifaru gear, had several QC issues and was not impressed with their CS, this was several years ago and I moved on to other brands.

Both KPG and EdT are former Kifaruians, but, now have their own companies offering fine gear.

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2015, 08:58 AM
Yes, but there are alternative choices, see Hill People Gear, and EdTs site and one made in Alberta.

I had a lot of Kifaru gear, had several QC issues and was not impressed with their CS, this was several years ago and I moved on to other brands.

Both KPG and EdT are former Kifaruians, but, now have their own companies offering fine gear.

Awesome Thank you

Lastcar
10-23-2015, 02:17 PM
I am currently using the small titanium smith stove from Kifaru in my Seek Outside LBO-Tarp-Vestibule set up. Does a bang up job for 1.5lbs. I did buy an 18" sheet of Ti to make a larger version as well. Should have just started with the 18" in hindsight. Weight difference for solo vs partnered trips is next to nil. Figured smaller stove for smaller shelter if I go LBO base and vestibule only though...still a work in progress after two trips with it.

This week's trip we were up in the alpine at about 6500 feet, pounded by wind, rain and some below freezing nights. Luckily for me my partner was like I was on my first trip. Loved to keep it stuffed and going so I barely had to do much of the fire tending. We kept plenty warm and made for some great psychological comfort running it with the stove "door" open. The glow and crackle of a fire is damn soothing in the backcountry.

I have bought Titanium from LiteOutdoors.com which is the Alberta company referenced above. Great guy to deal with and if it wasn't for the weight of his stoves I'd love to have one. If you are not packing it in on your back though, weight is moot. But he only does Ti, so if you are not trying to save weight then I'd look for a stainless.

Point being, I have the Ti version of the Kifaru stove and I am happy with it. Spent a bunch of time over the last year researching the others and settled on this for weight. EdT, HPG, GoLite and TiGoat Wifi are all well considered as well. Although some are Ti only. Which if you aren't trying to save weight damn pricey.

To give an idea of the shelter I am using it in I've added an image.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/Lastcar_photos/8F9ED39B-619A-4AA8-AB1D-81ED9D73F0B6.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/Lastcar_photos/media/8F9ED39B-619A-4AA8-AB1D-81ED9D73F0B6.jpg.html)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee3/Lastcar_photos/A42BDD96-0D67-4C05-8BB1-1A4040EC3EFA.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/Lastcar_photos/media/A42BDD96-0D67-4C05-8BB1-1A4040EC3EFA.jpg.html)

Weatherby Fan
10-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Very cool setup Lastcar, thanks for posting, after a bit of research we've settled on an Ellis collapsible stove, a bit heavier but will work well for our situation, also was available in Castlegar, BC so didn't have to cross border shop.

Lastcar
10-26-2015, 09:53 AM
It is pretty slick. Comes in at around 4lbs with Stove and using one of my trekking poles. Pack the carbon fibre expanding pole from SO. Prefer to keep one free in case there is some steep slogging etc. Not that I was smart enough to bring it with me as we hunted out of basecamp.

We used a tarp to get out of the wind and a bit of rain while glassing on that trip. I am now sold on carrying one for that purpose and would use the pole for that.

It is a palace in there for one and very comfortable for 2. With the stove. Have some more tweaks to do to get it just right for 2 guys. May add another base to make the one end more spacious so each guy can take an end and put the stove in the middle.

Hope the stove works out for you. Pretty cool time we live in when it comes to gear.

Makes me immensely admire the men who worked their way across the country with the gear they had in the 1800's. My admiration was already very high. But you realize it when you have a 4lb shelter with a stove how good we have it.