PDA

View Full Version : what it looks like inside a deer **** GRAPHIC

hoochie
10-23-2015, 01:09 AM
When I took CORE, the best thing they had to show me was poorly drawn pictures. I thought this might help new hunters understand what to expect if they decide to open a deer. I know the gutless method is becoming very popular, but I thought this pic might help new hunters understand what to expect when they open a deer, and maybe even to better understand the anatomy. At what point rear of the shoulder would my shot hit the gut? Where is the heart located in relation to the front shoulder?
I hope this can help educate some new hunters, and I hope this doesn't gross anyone out. This deer was taken with a rifle, shot in the neck. Had the deer been shot in the lungs/heart, the body cavity would be full of blood.

I wish you all the best of luck!
cheers.

~[URL=http://s800.photobucket.com/user/mrmabley/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151016_113253_zpsfimcknjh.jpeg.html]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/mrmabley/Mobile%20Uploads/20151016_113253_zpsfimcknjh.jpeg[/URL

wideopenthrottle
10-23-2015, 07:25 AM
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Game+Killing+Fundamentals.html

someone here posted this link awhile back that I found pretty good for info

10-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Good picture to learn from! What's the gizmo being used to spread the chest cavity.........looks a little cleaner the "right stick"! Because your buck is on its back it doesn't show how low the boiler room organs sit when the animal is standing up. I was taught the bottom third of the body behind the front leg .Once shot a buck a little low and the bullet cut the top brisket in side the rib cage ......it also cut a neat trough on the out side edge of the heart. Never knew the heart sat that low.

BigD_83
10-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the post. Now all we need are some arrows pointing out all of the relevant bits.

Is that an Outdoor Edge spreader?

Wentrot
10-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Looks like an outdoor edge spreader. I have looked at them in the past and didn't think it would work to well. Now I feel like I "need" one.

steveo
10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
What did you use to cut the chest open, I don't think I have seen that done in such a way. To me it seems ballsy with the guts and organs still in it, good work.

hoochie
10-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Yes, its an Outdoor Edge spreader.
I give it 5 Stars. They have a caping knife that works very well also. I have a few of their products and was thinking of doing a little review of them lol.

warnniklz
10-23-2015, 10:19 AM
My animals tend to look a little more graphic... Your picture should be one that is in the core book

adriaticum
Looks like an outdoor edge spreader. I have looked at them in the past and didn't think it would work to well. Now I feel like I "need" one.

Yeah you need more gear.
It's nothing a stick can't do. ;)

hoochie
What did you use to cut the chest open, I don't think I have seen that done in such a way. To me it seems ballsy with the guts and organs still in it, good work.

I should have done a video. I have never hit the gut, nor have I broken a bladder. Its a flat bone saw. Works great.
I still have a deer tag; if I'm lucky enough to get another one, I'll make a video.

adriaticum
10-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I hope you grilled that heart on the fire

BTW, you should have included disclaimers like "DOn't do this at home" and "Parental discretion strongly advised" :mrgreen:

Wentrot
10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah you need more gear.
It's nothing a stick can't do. ;)

It's a disease. Always buying more trinkets, heaven forbid anyone ever looked in my backpack lol

Clint_S
10-23-2015, 01:33 PM
I think a sticky of the whole process would be helpful for new hunters although I am sure there are lots of vids on Youtube