PDA

View Full Version : Anyone travel long distances with there dog?

jedimaster
10-23-2015, 12:13 AM
I have a really long road trip coming up and just wondering if anyone has travelled long distances with there dog before? Vancouver to Toronto, any stories tips advice etc...

Jagermeister
10-23-2015, 12:38 AM
Best long distance travellers are small dogs.
Best vehicle is a motorhome or a large camper van.
Dogs need pee breaks at about the same rate as a woman.
Always have a leash/lead on both sides in the door panel compartments.
Always secure the dog to a lead before opening a door.
Make sure you have a water dish and cool water for those thirsty dog times.
Have a supply of dog turd bags just incase your stop is urban or highly used rest stop.

Foxton Gundogs
10-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Just got back from a Sask goose hunt, we took 2 retrievers in the back seat area of a '01 Dodge Xtra cab with the seat up. Stop every 3-4 hrs, as mentioned water, long(10ftish) lead, poop bags and a treat or 2. Dogs don't contemplate the future of have a concept of time, they usually just settle down and sleep.

Angus
10-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Good advice above.

I did the drive from Van to London Ontario and back in 2006 with my year old lab in the back seat of a Pontiac Torrent. As mentioned above, food, water, crap bags, and a good lead. A couple other things to consider:

1. Feed early enough in the day so you can have maybe up to an hour before hitting the road. The hour will reduce the chances of you seeing the pup's breakfast once again in the back seat.

2. When I traveled, I went through Wash, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minn, Wisc, Illinois and Michigan. Actually took a ferry across Lake Michigan from Milwaukee so I could have a nap.Great highways, and great mileage markers. Prior to my smart phone, I created a small binder with maps, notes and summaries of where the road-side rest stops were (mileage markers) in each state. Then I could plan out my stops based on estimated travel distance and time, and at least knew where the nearest stop was located if the pup got restless.

3. Holiday Inn Express (Bozeman Mont; Ocoma South Dakota, Madison Wisc.) was dog friendly and had comfy beds for about $100/night. I'd recommend checking pet policies at the hotels where you plan to stay.

4. Don't fold the back seat down as it gives the pup too much room to move/slide around.

Good luck on your drive.

10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
just make sure you got a jug of water and a bowl,,, stop every now and again for a pee.....

Angus is correct unless....... i fold the seat and put Chase's bed down. he can grip it and i dont get hair everywhere...
the hard base to my seat is hard for them to grip in a corner,,,, couple blankets and problem is solved...

Glenny
10-23-2015, 02:37 PM
when you get thru Saskatchewan don't forget to turn off the lights.

Pete
10-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Anyone that knows me knows that my dog is my working partner and is with me all the time. Care and consideration for your dogs well being is your responsibility,
take it seriously.... cause your dog no harm!!!!

Kasomor
10-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Name plate with your CELL phone number attached to your dogs collar and/ or a tag with that information on it.

My dog's tags have "NEEDS MEDICATION" and my cell phone number on them.

Make sure your dogs collar is on him tight enough that he cant slip out of it should he get spooked.

NEVER take the collar off of him when traveling. EVER!!

Have a safe trip.

Kas

Foxton Gundogs
10-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Good point Kas, mine all have contact tags and I forgot to mention it totally.

Silverado
10-26-2015, 08:21 AM
I travel extensively in AB and BC with my lab, and all I can add is that after being cooped up in a vehicle for many hours, your dog needs at least one good, long, preferably off-leash run every day, or a good swim if your dog's a swimmer. My routine is to do this in the evening, before the dog's supper.

I look for parks on Google Maps (or the mapping app of your preference) when in cities/towns. It's not a problem when in rural areas obviously.

The vigorous exercise will keep the dog happy and his/her behaviour steady.

Winchester _Chick
10-27-2015, 11:28 AM
All great points, but I will add keep a copy of your dogs shot records with you as well. A copy of your rabies as well. Just incase you are going to cross the boarder? Or many other places rabies is a threat. Good practice to keep with you at all times :)

BigBanger
10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Took my dog down the coast to Mexico. We stayed in hotels and state parks. It was a great experience for all of us. We would stop several times a day to stretch our legs and walk a bit. I'd do it again in a second.

Dog_River
10-28-2015, 08:37 PM
This is very important ! When you pull off the highway at rest stops or chain up areas or just wide spots, some people these days have a crap on the side of the road and cover it up with something. Well, dogs roll in this stuff and when your on a long trip and no way to clean your dog up it's a major problem !!! Trust me on this one, so be careful and be sure you have your dog on a leash or check cord and pay attention.

Dog_River

hoochie
10-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Did the 10hr trip to the kootenays for hunting this year; not nearly as long of a trip as you have ahead of you. If I had to pee.. then my dog got let out for exercise and her turn. I keep a water bottle and a dish in the truck for her also. We shared snacks ( apples n stuff). The trip took a bit longer than if I had to drive it alone, but I accounted for that.
Listen to your dog; if they start getting impatient, its probably a bathroom break time.
I also folded down the back seats of the crew cab so she had a larger flat surface to be on, and I padded it up with several blankets so she had a soft ride.

ACB
11-07-2015, 11:55 AM
My dog's (both labs) travel in their secured travel kennels in the back of my truck with the canopy locked. I don't want them in the front of the truck unsecured incase god forbid we go of the road or are in a accident, don't need dogs unsecured flying around the cab of the truck in a emergency. I go back to Alberta every year waterfowl and upland hunting, their not in their crates more than 2 1/2-3 hours before we all need a break. I'v got my places where I stop every year, one dog at a time, 10 -15 min. breaks. Sometimes can get them both out at the same time. Once we get out there we all get lot's exercise.

ACB
11-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Just got back from a Sask goose hunt, we took 2 retrievers in the back seat area of a '01 Dodge Xtra cab with the seat up. Stop every 3-4 hrs, as mentioned water, long(10ftish) lead, poop bags and a treat or 2. Dogs don't contemplate the future of have a concept of time, they usually just settle down and sleep.
Don't try to tell dogs don't have a concept of time, my old male lab know's exactly when 5:00 in the evening is. I swear he can read a clock, and no it it doesn't mater if it's analog or digital. He can read it. It must say IT'S DINNER TIME! LOLLLLLLLL

Cdn-Redneck
11-07-2015, 12:25 PM
We traveled to North dakota with our dog and it was no issue. When we stopped for a pee break we would take turns while we had the dog out. A little pre planning helps to find dog friendly hotels.

Foxton Gundogs
11-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Don't try to tell dogs don't have a concept of time, my old male lab know's exactly when 5:00 in the evening is. I swear he can read a clock, and no it it doesn't mater if it's analog or digital. He can read it. It must say IT'S DINNER TIME! LOLLLLLLLL

Feeding time doesn't count lol

gunsandhoses
11-07-2015, 02:41 PM
I have this wicked old Springer Spanial that I picked up for a steal, from a red neck breeder - near Nanaimo, about 2 years ago..

She he travels everywhere with us - been to Oregon twice - Alberta (Lethbridge) once - and countless times into region 7 - along with her best buddy (a cattle dog) they have the back of our double cab (seats up) with their beds tucked in and some chew toys.

They let us know when they need a toilet break or a stretch (start geting restless)

everything said above re: water & food - Leeds and name tags on the collars

our dogs make great traveling and hunting pardners.....

Cedar Cowgirl
11-10-2015, 05:30 PM
I have this wicked old Springer Spanial that I picked up for a steal, from a red neck breeder - near Nanaimo, about 2 years ago..

She he travels everywhere with us - been to Oregon twice - Alberta (Lethbridge) once - and countless times into region 7 - along with her best buddy (a cattle dog) they have the back of our double cab (seats up) with their beds tucked in and some chew toys.

They let us know when they need a toilet break or a stretch (start geting restless)

everything said above re: water & food - Leeds and name tags on the collars

our dogs make great traveling and hunting pardners.....

Well now Mike/Kudu/Gunsandhoses which ever you prefer at the moment, your travel information is good, but lets set the record straight regarding the "old Springer Spaniel" shall we. First yes you picked up the dog for a "steal" because that's what you said you could only afford and our concern for all our dogs is that they retire to good loving homes. Despite any differences we may have you have provided that and for your loving care of Brandy we are grateful. Second although my husband may be accused of being a redneck, there is absolutely nothing "redneck" about his/our breeding program. All dogs used for breeding are fully tested and certified before being bred and are never bred to excess(no more than once every 2 yrs.) They are retired by the age of 7 and either become house pets/hunting companions or placed in loving forever homes. The pups are sold under a strict agreement of sale and potential buyers are vetted for suitability. The pups are guaranteed, receive their first shots and are CKC registered at no cost to the buyer. We pride our self as responsible breeders who care for our dogs/pups and their new owners. Hope that clears up any questions about the "redneck breeder"

Bow Walker
11-13-2015, 05:33 PM
Well said C.C.

FirePower
11-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Well said C.C.

I agree Mr. Walker, very eloquently stated indeed.