PDA

View Full Version : New/First Bow... need help

Andrewh
10-22-2015, 09:12 PM
I am totally green to bow hunting and want to get myself ready for next season. I have been looking over some different reviews online and I am a little overwhelmed with all the options out there and quite frankly, they all seem 'good' at the $700+ price point.

I was looking at a Hoyt Nitrum as well as a Matthews but need a lot of guidance.

What would you guys recommend for someone getting into the sport? I am wanting to buy a nice bow/components that will last me a while rather than buying an 'entry level' set-up that I will need to upgrade down the road.

I also have a hard time walking into big stores and buying 'packages' rather than sourcing things out from the States to save a few bucks, I know I am a terrible person for not supporting local businesses but I still sleep alright;)

Foxtail
10-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Where are you located? Reviews are good but only if you know what you want. What you need to do is go shoot some bows... As many as you can. The right bow will pick you. It will be the one that when you release you get that wow feeling. Most shops around here won't let you shoot the bow but that is BS. Don't buy anything without shooting it first. I am a Bear fan so I recommend Bear bows. They have in my experience the best customer service in the industry and their bows are as good or better than the competition. But like I said... Shoot a bunch and pick the bow you like the best. It might surprise you and you might like the cheaper model better.

Andrewh
10-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Is there a shop that you can recommend that will allow me to shoot some various bows?

I assume cabelas across the line will allow it as I am pretty sure I have seen people shooting before in the store.

I am located in White Rock

Sofa King
10-22-2015, 10:22 PM
try them all for yourself.
it's your hand holding it and it will be you drawing it back and shooting it.
only you can know what will feel good/right to you.

donny.brooke
10-23-2015, 09:15 AM
If your ever in Kelowna come and try my elites out.

Foxtail
10-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Yes cabelas has a lane you can try the bows at. WSS in Langley has a short lane as well but they wont let you use it or try bows out unless you insist.

Andrewh
10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
ok, thanks guys

donny.brooke
10-23-2015, 11:08 AM
You should join archerytalk forum there is endless info and products in the classifieds on there.

jessonml
10-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Let's go do WSS and "insist" that we shoot some bows!

Edge
10-23-2015, 04:30 PM
just an FYI....you may find more hassle trying to source south of the line......many venders will not ship bows up here. Additionally, when checking price add...$50-$70 to the price of the bow for shipping and then multiply the total by 1.333 and expect to pay GST to the postman.....that will give you a closer $$ figure to compare with AND....where do you go for tuning? small tweaks ? and general assistance as you go along? Do you think it's fair to ask a local dealer for help when you went online as saved ??? um...hardly anything at all?....my $.02

The Hermit
10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Go see Donny-Brooke. And check out the G5 PRIMES too! He might still have on for sale that would be a great bow!!

Edge
10-23-2015, 05:30 PM
You should join archerytalk forum there is endless info and products in the classifieds on there.

is there a "Canadian" section on archerytalk ? I used to go there but all the threads seemed to be from the US and therefore pricing/geography and product availability was always an issue...just my $.02

Foxtail
10-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Yes there is a canadian section Edge, but not too many members out west here. It helps if you have a P.O. box across the line. Shipping is always killer though.

Edge
10-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Yes there is a canadian section Edge, but not too many members out west here. It helps if you have a P.O. box across the line. Shipping is always killer though.

PO cross the line would be a good way round that...I had heard that shippiing bows from down south was a challenge but if you could ship it close...then bring it across there is no issue with our border guys..also fyi..the clipper here on VI will accept shipments in Seattle then send it on ferry to Victoria and you can clear customs on this side as well.

donny.brooke
10-23-2015, 06:51 PM
I bought a brand new elite from down south cheaper than i could have bought it for when i was the dealer. There is good deals to be had even with our crappy dollar.

Foxtail
10-23-2015, 06:57 PM
If you do choose to buy from down south... I have a guy... That has an address down there and he can bring it back if need be.

stro52
10-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Um you guys could just use any number of businesses that do exactly this. I use point to point parcel just across the point roberts border crossing. They charge me $3US for just about all the packages that I have bought off ebay, amazon, etc. Little tip, I use this one in point roberts because on saturday mornings the border guards coming back into canada are swamped and usually let most things pass without any duty/hassle. Seriously, I came back after being down for just 15 mins with about $300 worth of goods from ebay purchases and they waved me thru, were just concerned with alcohol and firearms/ammunitions