PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow and Bow hunting rules

bruce44
10-22-2015, 08:07 PM
So I was wondering if hunting with a crossbow or bow was had different rules when it comes to the distance you have to be away from highways? I can't seem to find anything is in the bc regs.

Ambush
10-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Crossbows, compound bows and traditional bows are all treated and regulated as one. Unless you are hunting bison.

bruce44
10-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Crossbows, compound bows and traditional bows are all treated and regulated as one. Unless you are hunting bison.
Ok so I'm a little confused about where I can hunt when it comes to highways. If I see a deer on the highway can I shoot it as long as I'm 15m from the center line and I'm not shooting across or along the road? And is it the same with bows and crossbows as well?
Road allowance no shooting or hunting areas
12 (1) For the purposes of subsections (2) and (3) and of section 31 of the Act, "highway" means every public road of two lanes or more that is maintained by the ministry of the minister responsible for the administration of theTransportation Act (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/04044_01), and includes all other public roads of two lanes or more within the Province that are operated or maintained by the government of another province or of a territory or by the government of Canada.
(2) For the purpose of subsection (3), "road allowance" means the highway and that area on either side of the highway including the shoulder and ditch to the lesser of
(a) a distance of 15 m from
(i) the midline of a road of less than three lanes, or
(ii) the nearest edge of the paved surface of a highway with three lanes or more, or
(b) the boundary of private property as indicated by
(i) a fence, or
(ii) the limit of cultivated land.
(3) The road allowance of any highway is designated as a no shooting area, and for the purposes of section 26 (1) (c) of the Act there is no open season for any wildlife species in that area.

10-22-2015, 08:33 PM
l think the key word there is "hunting".......the activity itself and how its defined. Doesn't matter what you "hunt" with, if your hunting, l'd venture to say the same rules apply, irregardless of the choice of weapon. The road allowance is a "no hunting area" according to the definition you quoted above.

bruce44
10-22-2015, 08:39 PM
l think the key word there is "hunting".......the activity itself and how its defined. Doesn't matter what you "hunt" with, if your hunting, l'd venture to say the same rules apply, irregardless of the choice of weapon. The road allowance is a "no hunting area" according to the definition you quoted above.
So if I'm reading that right, if it's less than a 3 lane highway, I can shoot 15m from the center line or at a fence line as long as I am not shooting along or across the highway? My main question is if I see some deer near the highway, can I shoot them as long as I'm 15m from the center line and not shooting along or across the road?

tinhorse
10-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes you can as long as they are not in the road allowance

bruce44
10-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Yes you can as long as they are not in the road allowance
Alright thanks. There's been plenty of game I've passed up because I thought I had to be 250m away from the highway.

abby308
10-23-2015, 03:59 AM
always check your regs. look on page 13. 400m on most highways in bc. 400 on any highway thats running through a provincial park.

bruce44
10-23-2015, 05:09 AM
always check your regs. look on page 13. 400m on most highways in bc. 400 on any highway thats running through a provincial park.
So here is my question. It says no discharging of a single projectile (Firearm) within 400m of listed highways and highway 97 from Prince George to Dawson Creek is one of them. Is a crossbow and bow considered a firearm?
I guess I wasn't very clear. I meant can I shoot the deer with a bow or crossbow. According to the regs definition of firearms, bows aren't firearms.

boxhitch
10-23-2015, 05:35 AM
I like the def. in the States. A FIREarm uses FIRE (explosion) to send a projectile. kiss

According to the regs definition of firearms, bows aren't firearms. you have the answer. Good to go with the bow , or shotgun.
There is some great bow hunting along the Yukon highway , especially spring bear.

J_T
10-23-2015, 06:56 AM
Simple, if it says 'no hunting' a bowhunter abides by the same rules as everyone. If it says 'no shooting', a bowhunter is good to go. In all of your research, read the terms 'hunting' and 'shooting' this way.