PDA

View Full Version : Butcher convicted for selling game meat.

Steve W
10-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Don't see this posted anywhere yet.

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/undercover-conservation-officers-stumble-upon-butcher-near-kamloops-selling-wild-game/it24285

hoochie
10-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Wow.
If you asked me before reading this article, I would have thought paying for packing was a loop hole that wouldn't have been an offense.

MOOSE MILK
10-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Where did the meat come from? Did your moose come up short?

hoochie
10-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Very good question.
how much "dressed weight" is returned as "packed meat"

Drillbit
10-23-2015, 12:45 AM
The last moose I shot took a bullet to the tenderloins. The butcher was very upset over it

Then I joked and said "I guess you won't be selling that Eh!"

The look on his face was pretty disturbing.

Sounds like they went fishing and caught one to me. What about the original suspect?

hoochie
10-23-2015, 12:54 AM
Sounds like they went fishing and caught one to me. What about the original suspect?

I edited my first post, I thought the same thing. They already had an open investigation on this other person, then drop it for an easy catch? I don't trust the "good guys" anymore

Apolonius
10-23-2015, 05:24 AM
There are no good guys.....who he was selling for?i smell "currie"

604Stalker
10-23-2015, 05:46 AM
Not surprised. If you do it you will loose your gun truck and gear.. Someone with a business and lawyer does it and they get a slap on the wrist.

Killthegame
10-23-2015, 07:01 AM
We had a butcher in Golden that used to do a special "one steak for you and one for me" disturbing.

M.Dean
10-23-2015, 07:34 AM
I don't think it's entrapment, reason being the CO's went there to see if this guy knew who was selling wild game meat, and he said "Don't buy wild game meat from that A-hole, buy it from me"! I'd like to know where he was getting the animals from?

Big Lew
10-23-2015, 07:48 AM
I don't think it's entrapment, reason being the CO's went there to see if this guy knew who was selling wild game meat, and he said "Don't buy wild game meat from that A-hole, buy it from me"! I'd like to know where he was getting the animals from?

Preciously! Many years ago I witnessed and reported some poachers and during
the investigation the COs and RCMP found several restaurants in Richmond were
buying and selling the meat. Those poachers were killing does, fawns, and young
bucks during the middle of summer, almost wiping out the entire resident deer
population on the south-east side of Stave Lake.

604Stalker
10-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Poachers should be punished to the full extent of the regs and law they should be going after these guys for all their gear and vehicles as well as any boats and trailers they own

finngun
10-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Where did the meat come from? Did your moose come up short?

why roadkills disappear fairly quickly early morning from the highways?ravens..ehh:confused:

Tenacious Billy
10-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Oh geez.....hopefully this guy isn't on the divined HBC butcher's list......

steveo
10-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Oh geez.....hopefully this guy isn't on the divined HBC butcher's list......
Ha ha, I had to look, yup, he is on it.

Cyrus
10-23-2015, 11:40 AM
I edited my first post, I thought the same thing. They already had an open investigation on this other person, then drop it for an easy catch? I don't trust the "good guys" anymore

ya they should not of even bothered after all it was entrapment...the CO's probably gave him the meat than set him up to sell it back to them and Trudeau probably told the CO's to do it too..give me a break! Some of you guys are always whining CO's don't do enough. This was good work by them. How do you know the other suspect isn't already facing similar charges?

guntech
10-23-2015, 11:49 AM
KAMLOOPS — When undercover conservation officers approached a Savona butcher to inquire about a man selling wild game meat, he told them to buy from him instead, making himself a new target for investigation along with their original suspect.

Stuart Malcom Stephenson, 53, pleaded guilty to trafficking wildlife under the Wildlife Act and received a $4,000 fine today, Oct. 22, in Kamloops Provincial Court.

Crown prosecutor Evan Goulet said investigating conservation officers were initially looking for a man rumoured to be selling wild elk and moose meat in the Savona area. However, the undercovers began looking further into Stephenson after he told them not to do business with the suspect and buy from him at the Savona Custom Meat store instead.

“Stephenson wasn’t too fond of this other person and let them know that they shouldn’t do business with them and said he could supply them with some meat,” Goulet said, adding Stephenson offered to give the officers deer meat if they paid for cutting and wrapping.

Goulet said in April 2014, the officers bought two bags of elk and moose meat. Stephenson gave the officers his card and they continued contact. The officers went back shortly afterward and purchased nearly $200 worth of meat, then returned to Savona Custom Meats again in September to buy more for $100.

Goulet said conservation officers approached Stephenson and interviewed him. The butcher told the officers that he thought perhaps if he charged them with cutting and wrapping the meat instead of the meat itself that they could side-step the prohibition.

“He did recognize and admit responsibility and say he was guilty,” Goulet said.

Stephenson’s lawyer, John Hogg, said the officers’ behaviour bordered on entrapment as his client initially wanted to give them tailings to try the meat and only wanted to charge them for cutting and packaging.

“This was a long drawn out affair. This gentleman continued to say he couldn’t sell them wild meat but that he’d give him some tailings to taste,” Hogg said. He noted officers told Stephenson their friend from France was interested in wild game because she’d never tasted it before.

“It went on and on like that. They got meat on three occasions,” Hogg said. “Each time his grip on ‘I can’t sell’ became a little less secure."

Hogg added Stephenson also offered to give the officers meat if they purchased one of the hanging baskets in his shop.

"I’m just wanting you to know the way the scenario went and there was some enticement early on,” Hogg told provincial court judge Stella Frame.

The fine for selling wild meat is $2,500. Stephenson made three sales in total, but both lawyers agreed a $4,000 fine would be sufficient given Stephenson’s lack of criminal record and his guilty plea.

Frame gave him six months to pay.

To contact a reporter for this story, email Glynn Brothen at gbrothen@infonews.ca, or call 250-319-7494. To contact the editor, email mjones@infonews.ca or call 250-718-2724

The "enticement" was money... guilty as charged...

Coachman
10-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Part of the problems we have in every facet of the law is the lack of punishment for the clowns that are unable to stay honest and abide by the law if someone isn't watching their every move.

We need to hammer these morons harder, not piss and moan that an investigation was entrapment. Anyone that thinks that a defense lawyer wouldn't have stretched this out for years if there were anything wrong on the side of the CO may need a reality check.

Omenator
10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Seems like it's hard enough to get a tag with the new LEH rules, glad this guy got caught, hopefully he doesn't do it again.

budismyhorse
10-23-2015, 02:15 PM
oh my word......a butcher was skimming???? no way.....absolutely no way!! a butcher would never skim! not ever.............

Man, butchers skimming or selling wild meat is a crime nearly as old as prostitution I would imagine......glad the COs realize every now and then you need to hammer the odd guy to keep it in check.

Glenny
10-23-2015, 02:43 PM
After my last experience with a certain butcher in Surrey I have been doing it myself. Cheap and far more rewarding. Had no Idea what I was doing but got the hang of it quick.

wideopenthrottle
10-23-2015, 02:57 PM
After my last experience with a certain butcher in Surrey I have been doing it myself. Cheap and far more rewarding. Had no Idea what I was doing but got the hang of it quick.

I keep meaning to hang up one of those posters with the names of the various cuts of meat so when we butcher there is no confusion what you are wrapping...maybe on the next butchering session (in two weeks hopefully)

Glenny
10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
I keep meaning to hang up one of those posters with the names of the various cuts of meat so when we butcher there is no confusion what you are wrapping...maybe on the next butchering session (in two weeks hopefully)

I printed those off the innernet and framed them and look good in the kitchen too. One of a beef and one of a pig. Also did one of hot peppers with the scoville scale looks cewl.

Steeleco
10-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Ha ha, I had to look, yup, he is on it. Not any more!! Thx

Xenomorph
10-26-2015, 03:36 PM
4k fine. Awesome, that will teach him a lesson.

Rob Chipman
10-26-2015, 04:11 PM
What I'm curious about is what else the investigation found out.

1) Where did he get the meat? Was he also stealing from a resident hunter who took a legal animal? If so he should get hammered for that and have to pay the RH restitution;
2) was he getting the meat from a poacher?
3) was he buying meat legally harvested (also against the law, even if not poaching);
4) was he getting the meat from FN hunters who feel they have a right to sell game (this claim has been made already in BC).

I'm going to ask the reporter if he knows. I'
d like to know the answers to those questions at a minimum.

blackbart
10-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Perhaps a certain G/O (or former one??) could solve a lot of his packing the meat out problems and donate it to this guy in the future???? Two problems solved at once!

Camp Cook
10-27-2015, 06:47 AM
What I'm curious about is what else the investigation found out.

1) Where did he get the meat? Was he also stealing from a resident hunter who took a legal animal? If so he should get hammered for that and have to pay the RH restitution;
2) was he getting the meat from a poacher?
3) was he buying meat legally harvested (also against the law, even if not poaching);
4) was he getting the meat from FN hunters who feel they have a right to sell game (this claim has been made already in BC).

I'm going to ask the reporter if he knows. I'
d like to know the answers to those questions at a minimum.

I'm going with #4

bucket
10-27-2015, 10:11 AM
My first deer was processed in surrey and came back with a few purple pieces and a few bright red. I have never gone back there. Can't wait until I have somewhere to hang my own...

lovemywinchester
10-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Stu is a great butcher and a great guy to talk hunting with. He is without a doubt the best in the area. He has done a bunch of deer for me over the years. This is not good news it looks like he is paying the price. I will still use him if I kill a buck out that way though. After picking hairs off chops and crunchy shit in my burger from other local butchers it's a no brainer.

steveo
10-27-2015, 10:56 AM
I will agree that it is unfortunate that his offenses are now affecting his way of making a living but since he was using his business as a vehicle to commit the crimes I guess it is fitting. It will probably come down to people like yourself to give him the benefit of doubt in relation to the trust you have built with him which is paramount with a service like butchering.

malibual0
10-27-2015, 01:43 PM
I think some of the moose meat was mine. Still waiting to pick it up.

M.Dean
10-27-2015, 06:59 PM
I'm going with #4 Hell no, ain't number 4! It's easy to see it was them drug smok'in honkey paleface white guys sell'in deer and moose to get money for drugs! I'd bet there driv'in around all dam night in a stolen car, shoot'in every animal they see with there 6 million candle powered hand held rechargeable spot light! And there only take'n the animals that fall over dead right beside the road!Leave the rest to rot, they don't give a crap! Sure as hell Tim, it's them white drug smok'in welfare rats, again! They should ship every dam one of them pastie faced honkeys back to where ever they came from! Anyways, that's who I think's supply'in this guy with wild game meat to sell!

:twisted:

BigSlapper
10-28-2015, 01:45 AM
Stu is a great butcher and a great guy to talk hunting with. He is without a doubt the best in the area. He has done a bunch of deer for me over the years. This is not good news it looks like he is paying the price. I will still use him if I kill a buck out that way though. After picking hairs off chops and crunchy shit in my burger from other local butchers it's a no brainer. I too have used Stu's services over the years. I've found him to be an excellent butcher with reasonable pricing and have always been satisfied with what I pick up and the care taken. This is unfortunate news and disappointing for sure.

Edge
10-28-2015, 06:48 AM
THere was a butcher here South of Duncan who I took my meat to ONCE...when I asked where my filet was, cause it wasn't attached to my Tbones, he said "oh it's in there"...I then replied that it wasn't marked and did he grind my filet up in the hamburger ???? His response was....Aww...don't be like that...I never went to him again..my $.02

M.Dean
10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
THere was a butcher here South of Duncan who I took my meat to ONCE...when I asked where my filet was, cause it wasn't attached to my Tbones, he said "oh it's in there"...I then replied that it wasn't marked and did he grind my filet up in the hamburger ???? His response was....Aww...don't be like that...I never went to him again..my $.02 This butcher very well could have kept the tenderloin, I don't doubt some of them do. But, I cut my own animals, and one thing I found is it's real easy to "lose" the tenderloin, mainly with deer, if you don't take it out when your hanging the deer in a cooler, it dry's out and by the time you try to cut the rind, or the dried edges off, there's very little left? With a Moose or Elk etc, this doesn't happen that often, the tenderloin is way bigger so even after trimming there lots still there, and if the butcher is leaving the bone in for the T-bones you'll get it in the package. What I do now with Moose and Deer, is once we have it hanging up for skinning and cleaning, we simply grab the tenderloin with one hand, pull real hard and most times it will dam near come out, and if need be a few quick cuts and you have your very fresh tenderloin! Good Luck out there!

Looking_4_Jerky
10-28-2015, 07:23 AM
A former work colleague says he used Stu often and apparently he makes dynamite jerky. As I have to drive a ways out of town to get good jerky, Stu is probably the closest to me. Soooo, from a selfish perspective, I'll use his services. I'm not familiar with how it all went down, but sometimes there's more to the story than meets the eye, and this applies strongly to authority investigations too. Not saying he isn't guilty as hell, just saying really in the grand scheme of things if ignoring what is realistically a trivial offense compared to the sh!t that goes on out there means that I simplify things for myself, I'm fine with that. When I dealt with him in the past, he took ample time to make sure I was satisfied and had the info and answers I wanted before we ended our conversation. That's more than I can say for another cutter in north western Kamloops who basically kicked me out of his facilities (after an awkward and rude conversation) because I stopped in to see how things looked. That was when he first opened, haven't been back since, don't feel like I'm missing out as most I've talked to say the product s sub-par in any case. I'd use Stu over that d!ckface any day.

Sleep Robber
10-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Great butcher ?? So what !!, I'll never take an animal to him, I don't think I could look him at him without feeling pi$$ed off and calling him on it. Best for me to just keep clear.

j270wsm
10-28-2015, 10:34 AM
I don't know the guy or his business.......but as a group we continually bitch and complain about poachers. We need to continue to stand together and fight against any and all form of poaching. So why continue to support a business that is helping poachers?

Boycotting this business is the best way to continue fighting against poachers and their supporters

steveo
10-28-2015, 10:35 AM
With the high price of beef these days the incentive to " take a little of this and sell a little of that " will be even stronger.

Glenny
10-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Stu is a great butcher and a great guy to talk hunting with. He is without a doubt the best in the area. He has done a bunch of deer for me over the years. This is not good news it looks like he is paying the price. I will still use him if I kill a buck out that way though. After picking hairs off chops and crunchy shit in my burger from other local butchers it's a no brainer.

Seriously? Really?

M.Dean
10-28-2015, 03:58 PM
With the high price of beef these days the incentive to " take a little of this and sell a little of that " will be even stronger. I really wish I could dispute your claim, but it's the truth! And it's going to get a lot worse, when I see a beef roast priced at 87 dollars, and a T-Bone steak at 20 dollars, the low life of this world will soon hone in on the fact that they can make some money selling our Wildlife! And who better to help stop this problem than us, the Hunters, were the ones who are in the bush and driving the roads where the poaching takes place. As a example, you and your buddy are driving down the mountain where you've been hunting all day, and if your like me, you try to time it so you'll be close to the fields where there's always Deer near dark, or first light. So there you guys are, glassing the edges looking for that big buck, and low and behold, here comes a truck heading back "UP" the mountain, Jeez Bob, wonder what there doing? Well Tim, get back in the truck and lets go see what the hell there up too is the proper thing to do. Why the hell not? I think as long as your not 10 feet behind the guys, there's not a lot they can bitch about, and get there plate number, that way if you do find a gut pile the next day you've got something to give to the CO's? And if we do happen to hear gunshots at night, if possible take a quick drive and see if it's the guy down the road letting off a bear banger, or if it's some low life gutt'in out a doe, and, as long as you have a valid hunting license, it's legal for you and me to have a firearm with us, you know, just in case! This way at least we can say, we the honest hunters are trying to stop this problem of bloody Poachers!

hparrott
10-28-2015, 05:16 PM
I got about 1/2 of my 3x3 mule deer back from Johnston's in Chilliwack this year. I'll never know if I got another hunter's deer or if my meat was pinched. BUT I do know I'll never go back

walks with deer
10-28-2015, 05:29 PM
I would personally like to know a couple more details before rules judgment.....

Every year peoplease bring game to butchers and never pick up.

Whether they couldn't afford the bill or cause they just wanted antlers?

Who knows why then the butcher is supposed to donate this game and eat his labour....
that isn't fair either.

Not enough info to rule judgment.

rocksteady
10-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Another person trying to take advantage of the system to make a buck (no pun) ....

Way of the world...

shed-hunter1
10-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Seriously? Really?

yes he is a good butcher does a great job is more pricey but does the best work from my experiance

steveo
10-28-2015, 09:01 PM
I got about 1/2 of my 3x3 mule deer back from Johnston's in Chilliwack this year. I'll never know if I got another hunter's deer or if my meat was pinched. BUT I do know I'll never go back
A guy should get back his box of meat, box of trimmings/scraps and a box of bones from the carcass he brought in with weights on the boxes. It would be easy to add it up at a glance right there in the shop and compare to brought in weight. If there is any issues, it gets settled now.

Gateholio
10-28-2015, 09:17 PM

I've never taken wild game to a butcher but w take our lambs to Johnstons every year and they are very professional. They provide a sheet with hanging carcass weight, butchered weight, waste percentage etc.

bwerb
10-28-2015, 09:44 PM
That's awesome...and exactly what an honourable butcher would do.

I hate to make it political but it strikes me as the same as asking for financial reports from FN and Justin's government dismissing the request as "racist"...honestly. Let us know what we submitted and what we're getting back...how hard is it?

M.Dean
10-29-2015, 06:30 AM
If you shoot your deer through the front shoulders, you can expect the butcher to scrape dam near the whole front end. When I hear guys say "Ya, with this bullet I shoot everything through the shoulders, you can eat right up to the bullet hole" I have to laugh, maybe you like eating blood clots and broken bones, but I sure as hell don't! A butchers not going to spend 4 or 5 hours trimming all the crap and shit off your deer, if it's covered in hair or rocks and grass, it go's in the garbage. A butcher can't spend the time to clean up your animal, that's "Your" job, and in 99.99 percent of cases where a person thinks he's short when he picks up his meat, if you asked the butcher he could show you where it went, into the garbage! I helped a butcher years ago cut up a friends moose, and when we trimmed off the fat and blood shot stuff I asked him what they did with all the real crappy stuff that's cover in hair and rocks and mud etc, he said if the guys a real dick head, I put it in his sausage, that way he get's back every ounce of his meat!!! In a lot of cases you get back what you brought in of "Eatable meat"!

hparrott
10-29-2015, 09:46 AM
I've never taken wild game to a butcher but w take our lambs to Johnstons every year and they are very professional. They provide a sheet with hanging carcass weight, butchered weight, waste percentage etc.

My husband picked up my deer while I was out shooting my moose. He never saw the brute so when he picked up the meat he knew no different. There was nothing wrong with the meat on the deer I dropped off. A week later when I returned from my moose hunt I saw a single milk crate of meat and some pepperoni we had asked for in the freezer. My deer was close to 130 dressed and the dressed weight listed on the receipt was not correct. People can assume meat was lost due to where it was shot or whatever but that was not the case. I am sure some people have had good experiences at Johnston's just like I have had good experience with other butchers that people tell me to stay away from. However, I am missing about 1/2 my deer with no deer being tossed because of poor meat care and I believe I got the wrong deer because of the error in the listed dressed weight. That is my experience. When I got back from moose hunting we butchered the two moose we returned with. I'll never take an animal to a butcher ever again unless I absolutely have to because of hot temps etc., and if I want sausage or pepperoni I will take in a 25 lb bag of ground that I prepared myself to try to prevent getting ripped off. This year I learned my lesson and it totally sucks......

steveo
10-29-2015, 10:34 AM
My husband picked up my deer while I was out shooting my moose. He never saw the brute so when he picked up the meat he knew no different. There was nothing wrong with the meat on the deer I dropped off. A week later when I returned from my moose hunt I saw a single milk crate of meat and some pepperoni we had asked for in the freezer. My deer was close to 130 dressed and the dressed weight listed on the receipt was not correct. People can assume meat was lost due to where it was shot or whatever but that was not the case. I am sure some people have had good experiences at Johnston's just like I have had good experience with other butchers that people tell me to stay away from. However, I am missing about 1/2 my deer with no deer being tossed because of poor meat care and I believe I got the wrong deer because of the error in the listed dressed weight. That is my experience. When I got back from moose hunting we butchered the two moose we returned with. I'll never take an animal to a butcher ever again unless I absolutely have to because of hot temps etc., and if I want sausage or pepperoni I will take in a 25 lb bag of ground that I prepared myself to try to prevent getting ripped off. This year I learned my lesson and it totally sucks......If you mean 130 lbs on the butchers hook when you say field dressed you should roughly get back about 60 percent of the original weight which would be around 75 lbs. One small box does seem a little low for recovery on a normal butchers cut-to-yield especially if you had pepperoni in the mix. Did you question them about it?

hparrott
10-29-2015, 11:09 AM
Yup...130 dressed I meant. I was given no reason. My 70 lb dressed WT from September yielded more fresh cuts then this deer that I got back from Sumas meats. He is great in there. It's really a joke with what I got. I figured lesson learned and move on but clearly I'm still angry lol. Butchering our own moose was a lot of work but totally worth it. I'm glad I learned this lesson, as shitty as it is, with a mullie and not my moose.

ajeatoo
10-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Yup...130 dressed I meant. I was given no reason. My 70 lb dressed WT from September yielded more fresh cuts then this deer that I got back from Sumas meats. He is great in there. It's really a joke with what I got. I figured lesson learned and move on but clearly I'm still angry lol. Butchering our own moose was a lot of work but totally worth it. I'm glad I learned this lesson, as shitty as it is, with a mullie and not my moose.

Sumas Meats is awesome, we've never had anything but great service from them! I'm confused by your post, are you saying your bad experience came from Sumas or no?

hparrott
10-29-2015, 03:29 PM
"My 70 lb dressed WT from September yielded more fresh cuts then this deer that I got back from Sumas meats. He is great in there

...............Sumas meats is great.

ajeatoo
10-30-2015, 03:06 PM
"My 70 lb dressed WT from September yielded more fresh cuts then this deer that I got back from Sumas meats. He is great in there

...............Sumas meats is great.

Agreed Ullie is the best!!

Glenny
10-30-2015, 03:20 PM
yes he is a good butcher does a great job is more pricey but does the best work from my experiance\

Well if hes learned his lesson that should make him pretty honest now.