PDA

View Full Version : hunting and fog

chillyjar
10-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Was out last weekend over the coq. at first light. Made our way to a spot I've been to before and visibility is at about 30ft. Just wondering what the general consensus is on what to do.

1. Keep moving up or down until things clear up. Although don't know country that well. Call it a scouting trip.
2. Wait it out, because I know the country

Just looking on for some opinions on what I should do next time.

We kept moving to try and get out of it. Found some nice area with not a whole lot of visible sign, did a lot of hiking. The fog eventually moved into there though. later that evening we went back to the spot ive seen deer before and come across 6 does. Have to say though it was fairly frustrating to wake up early get to a spot I think is should be good and bamm, can hardly see the trees in front of you. Is there a website or somewhere to check for fog/visibility forecast?

thanks

BgBlkDg
10-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Spent four days in the Kootenays, on some of the worst old roads with driving rain, heavy fog and 10ft. visibility. My 2014 modded Taco performed like a champ, but, some of it was bloody hairy and zero game was seen.

I did encounter a lovely sow Grizzly and two yearlings, silvertips, and had a good sight of them as they booked out of there up a road.

Elkchaser
10-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Drive BC weather stations and road cams can help depending where your headed.

MichelD
10-22-2015, 06:05 PM
I've had numerous potentially good hunts ruined by fog.

TreeStandMan
10-22-2015, 06:17 PM
I have no idea if it's true, but an oldtimer told me that when it's foggy it's a good time to hunt mule deer cut blocks and clearings because the animals feel like they have cover. The idea is that if you're sitting there quietly you can tag out if things lift a little.

Again, this is received wisdom, but it might be worth trying.

Sofa King
10-22-2015, 06:17 PM
pennask summit/ Brenda mines area can be brutal sometimes, actually quite often starting about now.
and there's a band right through the area that gets that same fog system.
I've done the same before, knew my spot well, found the route the bucks were using, good sign and fresh rubs, even set up my blind the day before on a knoll with a good view of the area.
hike in to it in the dark before first light, only to have the entire area just blanketed in heavy, thick fog.
couldn't see anything.
even worse feeling was hearing the bucks coming through on their path, even stopping and thrashing the same rubs, and all would have been in perfect view, except for the fog.

Ourea
10-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Fog is a variable that has lead to the death of many a good buck.
If you are hunting deer into the rut do not let fog discourage you.
Granted, knowing the area is important if you're going to still hunt under these conditions.

Think about it, ..... fog is a blanket....it covers and desensitizes a deer's sensory perception.
Sight, sound and scent are greatly reduced.
Advantage hunter.
Disadvantage deer.
Key is you need to know ur area and the inventory.

brian
10-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Fog is awesome to still hunt in. Brutal to spot and stalk.

Ourea
10-22-2015, 09:16 PM
even worse feeling was hearing the bucks coming through on their path, even stopping and thrashing the same rubs, and all would have been in perfect view, except for the fog.

Ur comment has me curious.

If fog gives you, as a hunter, all the advantages over a deer's ability to detect, and you knew and heard their location .....even hearing bucks thrashing no less!......why didn't you take advantage of ur situation......of ur advantage?
Hunter's dream there chief!!
Why wouldn't you knowing their ability to detect is all but mitigated.?

Why did you sit back?

Fog/rain/heavy humidity ...is the only time I will disregard the Cardinal rules of stalking game at close range and play my advantage.

Hope you at least got pictures of their tracks and poop...as always!

I hope you get a good buck one day.
Doubt that anyone will be happier for you than me.

bc_buckshot
10-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Just think about it and don't let fog fool you. If you can't see, deer can't see. They will be a little
more alert to sound in case of predators. They will tend to move a little lower than the fog which makes you wanna think two steps ahead and move just under the fog line while it moves up or over. Once you sit there you wil see there legs and give you time for a shot. Once in the clear boom bang flop. Worked well for me.

hoochie
10-23-2015, 01:33 AM
I call Mule deer "Grey ghosts"
in the fog, you look and see nothing, take a few more steps and see a deer come out of the fog like a ghost in the mist.... its awesome

Steelpulse
10-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Forsure agree with all previous comments, any weather that is nasty and or extreme is a great time to hunt using caution on the extreme weather my favourite is very windy but havent had the chance to hunt dense fog many times howeverbi imagine its probably great still hunting in well known buck haunts

jeff341
10-25-2015, 12:06 PM
We should go back again chillyjar.....

HarryToolips
10-25-2015, 04:19 PM
My first buck ever was shot in heavy fog, it was amazing how many mule deer were movin around...

Sofa King
10-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Ur comment has me curious.

If fog gives you, as a hunter, all the advantages over a deer's ability to detect, and you knew and heard their location .....even hearing bucks thrashing no less!......why didn't you take advantage of ur situation......of ur advantage?
Hunter's dream there chief!!
Why wouldn't you knowing their ability to detect is all but mitigated.?

Why did you sit back?

Fog/rain/heavy humidity ...is the only time I will disregard the Cardinal rules of stalking game at close range and play my advantage.

Hope you at least got pictures of their tracks and poop...as always!

I hope you get a good buck one day.
Doubt that anyone will be happier for you than me.

I was up high on a vantage point set up inside my blind.
and if I could hear them walking about, I'm pretty sure they would hear me crashing around blindly because the fog was as thick as pea soup.
and is it really safe to be firing a gun into thick fog that you can't see anything in?
what if another hunter was behind them?
oh don't worry, I've shot plenty of good bucks, no problems there.
I pass on way more than I shoot.

wiggy
10-25-2015, 06:36 PM
A while ago like over 30 years lol. Us young guns were out hunting bighorns in the high rocks with 2 oldtimers lol.
Fog rolled in like peasoup first thing in the morn. One of he old boys said no mas and headed back
Us young guns kept climbing. Cold and wet which was quite normal back then we hiked right through the clouds.
Came out of the fog and into bright sunshine Mountain peaks as far as you could see covered in snow. Pretty awesome. Had our lunch up here O Henry specials in soaking wet cotton
t shirts letting our outer ware dry in the hot sun.
Well the other old timer hiked into a divide between both sides of the mountain and sat in the middle getting soaked. After a couple of hours he heard something moving in the rocks.
He walked towards the sound. At 50 yrds a 185 bighorn walked right out of the fog and into his trophy room

Ourea
10-25-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't know how to answer or pass comment on ur confusing assessment/possible reaction to ur situation.

The point is that game is "numbed" in fog.
As stated by others, you can get away with murder in these conditions so take full advantage of it if you know your location well.

Hear you crashing down?
Tip.....don't crash down....simply move in.
A lot of hunters hike for hrs in the dark without much audible impact so why would a bit of fog be a major impediment??
Its the perfect cover.

And Dualie, do you think that anyone would, "fire into thick fog that you can't see anything in?"
Again...im confused with ur comments.

So, back to the point of the OP's question, who was asking for opinion on hunting in foggy conditions.......
Most with experience said take advantage of fog as it is a proven advantage in concealment.
You elected to sit and your hands and simply told a story about when u were faced with those conditions.
I think the OP was looking for "advice" on this topic....... not a story of passivity when faced with these conditions.

Sorry, but I struggle with the relevance of some of your comments that are not directly related to answering a specific question that someone has asked.