PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting with dogs

VanIsle
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Moose video (http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Skipper/dog_decoy.wmv)

Pete

mark
05-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow, pretty cool!

Woodrow
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
moose really put the brakes on, good thing for for the camera guy, funny video thou, yappy dog I dont blame the moose for trying to run it down!

livingston
05-07-2007, 07:12 PM
If I was the moose I think I would have turned and ran too, that hunter looked like something out of the movie "Deliverance":lol:

I am always amazed at the size and power of a moose.

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
moose really put the brakes on, good thing for for the camera guy, funny video thou, yappy dog I dont blame the moose for trying to run it down!

That is exactly what the Norwegian Elkhounds are bred to do. In Europe, moose are called "elk". That dog is doing what he is supposed to do, bring the moose in to his master.

Woody, you need conselling for your inherant hatred of dogs! :)

7mmag
05-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I used to have an elk hound, they’re totally fearless. Mine loved to scrap the lone wolfs around the mining camps that we stayed at with my Dad, but they make a bad bear dog as they always chase the bear towards you. They make a good pet, but they’re quit protective

Woodrow
05-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Dont forget I hate cats too

Woody, you need conselling for your inherant hatred of dogs! :)[/quote]

boxhitch
05-08-2007, 07:36 AM
but they make a bad bear dog as they always chase the bear towards you.
or a good bear dog, if you are ready for it. :)

steepNdeep
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Cool vid! Here's another one, where they kill the moose. The dog drives the moose right to the hunter, who's waiting on a ridge... amazing work by the dog!

Hunting big game with a dog is legal in Scandinavian countries and even mandatory in some (for tracking wounded game). They have very short seasons (~5-10 days) and thick forests, which make it extremely difficult without a dog... They use several breeds, including Laikas, Elghunds, and Kareilians... 8)

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa12/steepNdeep/?action=view&current=elkhound-moose-calf.flv