PDA

View Full Version : First Bull moose down!

chris26262
10-21-2015, 11:47 AM
So its taken me a long time to figure out (as easy as it is for some) how to put pictures on this site... but I finally did it. I think.

This year like the 4 previous years me and my hunting buddies headed north for moose early October. The last few years we have done really well up there. For my self had yet to have a great amazing encounter that the rest of the guys in camp seemed to come back at the end of the day and share around the fire. This year was my year! Fist night up there. Watched bulls beat brush. Bulls chasing other smaller bulls around the swamp and listening to bull s fight. The amazing noises these animals make. A old big bull grunt is different than a young bull bark (didnt know that) a cow calling can do a variety of noises and duration and frequency. It was a pretty awesome 7 day trip with ups and downs... Hunting.
So this one day a buddy and I are sitting calling one morning. Freezing our buts off. Fresh snow on the ground awesome! Howling wind... we decide to pick up and move to better cover. Hop on the quads and head down the trail. Hair pin turn, hair pin turn, hair pin turn MOOSE (30yrds)!!! This spike fork goes into a 4 wheel slide and we jam on the binders. Moose turns and heads back the way he came. My buddy does a cow call while I pull out my rifle. The moose is still on the trail. We didnt hear him take off up into the sticks.. so we wait a min, heart is pounding. (My first chance at a moose! i get to shoot) As we creep around the bend the moose is still standing there broad side. Ive got my rifle and the whole time we were working closer I was trying to get my rifle figured out. I was able to put a round in the chamber but my firing pin wouldnt set... I jack the round out and put another in.. still no pressure on the pin. F#$# my rifle trigger was frozen and wasnt allowing the pin to set... (the day before it had poured rain all day and I had taken my gun apart best i could to dry it and re oil it. not good enough i guess). It crushed me that I had my shot and blew it. Moose gone.
Anyway a day and bit goes by. I decide to sit in this old tree stand that over looks the swamp we like to hunt. Beautiful morning! lots of action could be heard in the swamp. Two pulls on the other side scrapping... I did a cow call and waited... now I hear them in a different area of the swamp. Do another cow call... wait a bit. then the bush ninja young bull pops out at 100yrs... The sun is in my eyes and im trying not to fall out of the stand while im reaching for my gun. Then a much bigger bull pops out and starts padding this smaller bull to get out of here. I m looking through my binos the sun is in my eyes and i cant barely tell any points cause I cant see... They crossed the creek and were gone.. That was awesome but a little disappointing to again be that close and not get a shot off... hunting! So some time goes by. I do a cow call. Nothing... I think about leaving the stand... but decide to stay and see what else is moving around. Did another cow call... bam! Bull coming in hot! head down grunting every step. comes down out of the willows and onto the gravel beach beside the creek. Ive got my bino s up (this time the sun wasnt as bad. ) Count 3 tri palm. count 3 again tri palm. rifle in my lap at this point. look the through the scope... TRIP PALM! BOOM BOOM BOOM! (75yrds) i was not going to let this guy get away. I couldnt believe i had thought about leaving the stand. and sticking it out pays off!
So got on the radio. called in the troops. built a quad trail to creeks edge. Waded across the creek. quartered up the moose and ferried the meat over to the waiting quads!

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/chris26262/IMG_3684_zpsytvuvlgm.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/chris26262/IMG_3734_zpsowdyp3cr.jpg
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/chris26262/IMG_3700_zpsou0vczdf.jpg

10-21-2015, 11:54 AM
lol you need a boat!
nice bull, congrats.

Philcott
10-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for sharing. Damn nice bull. Isn't it exciting when they reply and respond to your calling. My heart beats a little faster just thinking about it.

Congrats.

Nice pics too. Shows a beautiful spot for a moose to be hanging out in.

BCLogger
10-21-2015, 11:59 AM
nice moose indeed, but man, keep the gun pointed away from you when taking pics

coach
10-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Awesome bull! Looks like you've got some buck stories to tell as well..:p

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/chris26262/IMG_3700_zpsou0vczdf.jpg (http://s772.photobucket.com/user/chris26262/media/IMG_3700_zpsou0vczdf.jpg.html)

kennyj
10-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Great story. Sounds like an exciting hunt. Awesome first bull!
kenny

wideopenthrottle
10-21-2015, 01:52 PM
great story and beauty bull

Foxtail
10-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Real nice bull. Thanks for story. For your pics... Copy the img code by clicking it then just put the cursor in the reply box here like you are going to reply and hold the ctrl button and hit v and that will paste the img code. You don't have to "add img" or anything like that.

chris26262
10-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks for all the kudos and tip s on posting pictures!

Foxton Gundogs
10-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Excellent bull congrats.

Rob Chipman
10-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Nice bull! What region?

ydouask
10-21-2015, 05:01 PM
:D Hey, nice bull, congrats!

M.Dean
10-21-2015, 06:27 PM
And what a "First Bull" it is!!! Sounds like you guys are in moose heaven there, so I think I'd keep the location a real big secret! Congrats on a real nice Bull!

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Awesome bull!!! Congrats on your first!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers

SS

AlexPdHJ
10-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Amazing bull! Well done!!

Rattler
10-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Congrats on your bull. Great story, thanks for sharing.

250 sav
10-21-2015, 09:00 PM
nice bull thanks for posting

chris26262
10-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Holy smokes boys! Just had some amazing tasty steaks last night. Picked up the smokes and pep and ground! This is one tasty bull!

Frango
10-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Beauty ,Well done.

luckofthedraw
10-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Looks like you guys have found a beauty spot to hunt. Congrats on the nice animals.

lightmag
10-24-2015, 09:40 AM
gotta love hunting!!!!! great bull

guntech
10-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Such a pretty area...
Now get your rifle checked out... and use G96 Gun Treatment - a silicone based product good to 60 below.

HarryToolips
10-24-2015, 09:52 AM
Good story and a great bull, congrats!! Hey some nice muleys there also, if ya ever need a mule deer huntin partner leme know;-)

Weatherby Fan
10-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Such a pretty area...
Now get your rifle checked out... and use G96 Gun Treatment - a silicone based product good to 60 below.

Wow awesome Moose, Thanks for sharing.

As guntech says above, been using G96 for years and its awesome, rain,snow -30 never and issue, its an excellent product.

chris26262
10-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks fellas. I'll pick up some G96 for. Sure. It sure sucked having to watch that guy walk away.
All my mule deer success is do to the buddies I hunt with! It's great hunting with deer snobs. Cause I ll gladly shoot what they won't!