PDA

View Full Version : New Hunter in Prince George

HoneyBadger
10-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Hello! I just got my PAL, CORE, and hunting license this year and I'm fairly new to the area. I moved here last Sept. to take the forestry program at CNC and I really like getting out and exploring the massive amounts of beautiful land at my doorstep. I enjoy hiking, fishing, and camping and so I figured hunting would be a pretty natural fit. I've been out a few times so far this season and have managed to get two ruffed grouse and just this morning I got my first hare! I've been mainly driving FSRs and old cutblock roads, but have had the better luck walking older brushed in roads and skid trails.

Is there anyone in the PG area willing to teach a new hunter a few tricks of the trade? I'm mainly interested in upland game and waterfowl since I'm so new, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at deer if given the opportunity.

I'm a 27 year old male, fairly fit (not running marathons but can still manage 10km+ day-hikes without too much complaining :smile:!), I've got my own vehicle, chest waders, and general camping/orienteering gear, but no boat or dog. I've got a 12ga pump, .22 semi-auto, and .308 bolt.

Even if you aren't in the PG area I'd still love to hear any and all tips or comments anyone has. Thanks!!

Stu

albravo2
10-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Stu,

You're well covered with that arsenal, from ducks to moose. And you're living in one of the best places in BC. I went to CNC a few hundred years ago.

There is a real active club in Prince George, with some great people. I think DeadDog (DDog maybe?) is the username of one of the key guys. If you can go that 10k with a moose hind quarter on your back you might enjoy a hunt with him if you get invited.

Have fun. Its been a pretty long time since I lived there but PM if you need anything.

The Dawg
10-20-2015, 11:12 PM
Spruce City Wildlife Association.

We just had a meeting tonight actually.

https://www.facebook.com/SpruceCityWildlifeAssociation

Come down to a meeting- youll get a chance to see what we are all about, and meet a few of the members.

HoneyBadger
10-23-2015, 07:46 AM
albravo2 - Thanks!

The Dawg - Thanks for the info. I actually took my CORE course in the hatchery building! I just had a few questions though:

With the completion of my CORE BCWF is offering 50% off my first year of membership. Is there a difference between that and the SCWA?

I see on the SCWA website that "Membership applications we receive within 2 months prior to December 31 will not be submitted to BCWA until January to ensure a full year membership" Does that mean if I send in my application after October 31st I won't actually be a member until January 1st?

Lastly, on the SCWA membership form there is a checkbox for "Patrol Member". What does that mean?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Stu

moosinaround
10-23-2015, 11:47 AM
You get a job in the bush Stu? That's the best scouting you can do, scout and get paid for it. You will see all kinds of interesting critters!! Keep all your industry maps if you can, mark GPS spots, keep a journal of what you seen and where, time of day, year, and what the critter was doing, bedded, grazing, etc! I am a forest tech, not in the industry anymore, but still use my old Intel to find the critters! PM me questions if ya got any! Moosin

HoneyBadger
10-25-2015, 09:25 AM
moosinaround - Thanks for the tips! Ya I spent most of my summer doing block layout and will likely be doing the same thing this one coming up. I kept most of my daily block maps but also managed to snag a few 3'x4' harvesting plan maps of the operating areas surrounding PG. It's really nice to be driving down the FSR's and actually know where/what all those little offshoots lead to (and whether or not they have been deactivated) :smile:!