PDA

View Full Version : newbie bowhunter

Dlo11
10-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Any tips for a newbie bowhunter actually hunter in general. Going to red lake this weekend.

HarryToolips
10-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Have fun is number one AFTER staying safe...hike around and you'll learn lots...bring a compass and learn how to navigate with it and a map, you can even use the sun, see solar-watch method..tell people where your going, and when you'll be back, do you have a partner?? What region you going??

HarryToolips
10-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Sorry I should say where is red lake??

OutsyderBC
10-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Park and walk!

I got my first this year so my buck tag is cut but I got a doe draw so it has afforded me some extra scouting time during hunting season.

It has been fascinating watching deer as vehicles pass. I have seen enough to plan my Bowhunting around putting some wear on my boots and I will be buying a blind and stand for next fall!

My buddy got a really nice buck up there recently, good luck, and yes, be safe!

Foxtail
10-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Go slow and quiet. If you think you are going too slow... Go slower. Find sign and go slow. Every few steps your sight lines change... Stop and use your binos to look through the trees. Odds are the deer will spot you before you spot them. What you have to do is use the trees to your advantage. See them and use the trees to make your way in range.

300H&H
10-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Go slow and quiet. If you think you are going too slow... Go slower. Find sign and go slow. Every few steps your sight lines change... Stop and use your binos to look through the trees. Odds are the deer will spot you before you spot them. What you have to do is use the trees to your advantage. See them and use the trees to make your way in range.

That advice there has led me to be a better hunter and far more successful.
And I will add, keep the wind in your face. Or at least be mindful of its direction.

Dlo11
10-19-2015, 10:53 PM
red lake is in 3-29 no partner but i'm actually goin to be there for a fishing trip. so theres 6 of us there and my brother in law may tag along for one of the evenings. Just looking to gain some experience i'm mostly fishing but plan on hunting afternoons.

Bear_Down
10-19-2015, 11:29 PM
find a well used game trail between bedding site and water/food. set up on it at least an hour before animals start moving. and watch the wind. Low. Slow and wind.

Dlo11
10-19-2015, 11:57 PM
thanks everyone hopefully a good experience ahead of me

Bear_Down
10-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Pre season scouting is also invaluable. Get to high ground and scout.