PDA

View Full Version : Princeton or tunkwa

Shikari300WSM
10-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Hey everyone, hope the seasons treating well.

I've had some success this year, (stories will be posted later) however I'm looking to fill a mule deer tag and am wondering what everyone thinks would be better. Of course it's hunting not shooting and both are good areas. I've never hunted tunkwa but heard good things about it. I've hunted Princeton, hunted hard last year and got a small buck last year, this year hunted one morning up China creek and saw a buck but couldn't get in bow range (back in September)

Would it be worth checking out tunkwa or would you guys stick to somewhere you know

Thanks everyone!

doubled
10-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Tunkwa is a zoo. Princeton is not much better but you can find some land if you hike off the roads and trails.

BigD_83
10-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Tunkwa is a zoo. Princeton is not much better but you can find some land if you hike off the roads and trails.

Zoo? As in there are so many mules walking around you think you are in one?

Or the more negative meaning?

JIL_24/7
10-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I have found that it doesn't really matter how many people are in a given area unless you are determined to hunt like 90% of them. I have had great success in both Tunkwa and Princeton. I just got a buck in Princeton last week in fact. I have had my success off the road though, and most of the time not even that far off the road. It simply requires a little leg work and you will be where most hunters in this day and age never are. There are so many blind corners and depressions in the land that there are whole areas within ear shot of the road that animals walk through undetected by hundreds of hunters. Personally, I would choose Princeton because I believe it is a bigger area with a bit more possibility to get away from the crowds which really is my only complaint about lots of hunters. I go to the bush in large part to be alone. Lots of hunters messes that part up, but it doesn't seem to have horrible effects on my success. Just my .02

Muliechaser
10-19-2015, 03:57 PM

Being a zoo is a good thing . Your righytAll it takes is getting off the road a bit and your usually into animals! Almost everytime ..and to the OP. by usually i mean being that your not clumbsy ,move to fast etc. its usually good every were.. being that theres feed and or ladys during late season . Sometimes it takes years to figure out how to hunt and start bagging deer every year . Dont let not seeing anything dash your hopes ! Learn and learn some more if your really into it you will succeed . Period.

Mc

Weatherby Fan
10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
I would say the Princeton area also, but I'm sure if you get out of the truck either place would b fine.

Coachman
10-19-2015, 04:40 PM
I know you said muley, but Tunkwa will give you a maybe chance for a Whitetail too. More options always better than less.

Its been alot colder around Tunkwa too.

doubled
10-19-2015, 04:44 PM
Tunkwa seems to have a lot more ATVs, motorbikes, etc due to the extensive trail network. Just giving the guy a heads up.

swampdonkey
10-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I know you said muley, but Tunkwa will give you a maybe chance for a Whitetail too. More options always better than less.

Its been alot colder around Tunkwa too.
Hasn't been that cold .Hardly below zero at night the past week . + 8 sunday morning at 5000 ft . [Princeton and tunkwa are almost same elavation. Get up into the hills and its even higher . I like both areas .

Shikari300WSM
10-19-2015, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm thinking Princeton would be better too. Leave tunkwa for a spring scout to determine next year's hunting location. Hopefully the rut will start to kick in the last weekend of october

va7bkl
10-20-2015, 09:34 AM
I used to hunt tunkwa exclusively for my first 3 years as a hunter. Went up for a few long weekends each year to hunt, plus I'd do a couple pre season scouting trips. I never got a buck from there. Only ever saw 3 in all the time i spent there...missed one (thats when I learned I can make a 200yd shot from a croutched position lol) and didn't get a shot at the other 2 because of rookie mistakes. Went to princeton for a week and got a buck my first trip there...been going to princeton ever since. Over the next 3 years I've got a buck in 2 of them. Last weekend being the last one...but I tell you, all weekend I only saw 1 deer (the one I shot). They are really hard to find right now in princeton, and I do a fair bit of walking. Even my trail cams are getting way less pictures than 2 weeks ago. Probably because all the vegitation in the cut blocks has died from frost and its been warm during the daytime.

I like Tunkwa Lake and the guys at the Tunkwa Lake Lodge are great, especially Richard. I was just never a successful hunter there, and I think there are just as many whitetails in Princeton.

Goodluck.