PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 whitey advice

hotshot
10-18-2015, 10:39 PM
Hey y'all, planning to take a friend east of osoyoos for his first ever deer and my first time out that way and was hoping to get some advice on where to camp. Don't want to go past Christina lake and can bring a quad if recommended but like to hike. Buck or doe doesn't matter, just would like some success. Any spots are greatly appreciated, either way it will be cool to check out a new area for us.

Thanks

bpeters
10-19-2015, 08:32 AM
the key is to sit for sure you cannot hunt whitetails in region 8 from a quad, buck or doe

Charlie76
10-20-2015, 02:14 AM
Hi there, I am also looking for a great area for Whitetail in region 8 or 3 ... have not had any success yet but lots told me there are plenty of them there any suggestion from you pro hunters? please indicate the area name and the MU number so i can plug it on the GPS. Any Buck season close to end so if i can get either Whitetail or blacktail deer that would be nice. I might go this weekend but looking for some advice and how much is the success rate ??

thanks.

Gr8 white hunter
10-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Get in your car,truck and go hunting do the foot work like everyone else.It's called HUNTING.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Hi there, I am also looking for a great area for Whitetail in region 8 or 3 ... have not had any success yet but lots told me there are plenty of them there any suggestion from you pro hunters? please indicate the area name and the MU number so i can plug it on the GPS. Any Buck season close to end so if i can get either Whitetail or blacktail deer that would be nice. I might go this weekend but looking for some advice and how much is the success rate ??

thanks.

this is hilarious you are openly asking for gps coordinates haha man that is funny shit

Marlowethelazydog
10-20-2015, 07:22 AM
this is hilarious you are openly asking for gps coordinates haha man that is funny shit

He didn't ask for GPS co-ords. He asked for the MU#. What is wrong with that? I did PM Charlie an area I hunt that is lousy with WT deer.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Good for you, I hope he doesn't shoot one

Marlowethelazydog
10-20-2015, 07:41 AM

Why be like that? Listen, if he is new to hunting or new to the area why wouldn't we help out? I admit I could be missing something here. But I think with something like only 66 new hunters for every 100 hunters that stop hunting we should help our fellow hunters out. Its not like he is asking what tree in the forest to hide behind to shoot his deer, guy asked for a management unit. It is not like WT are scarce around here anyway. I bump into dozens of harvestable WT each season.

kgs
10-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Its been a long time since I have seen a comment that irritates me like this one. A hunter was simply asking for help that's all and someone wishes him bad luck. Not a very nice thing to do in my opinion.

slowjo
10-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Hey y'all, planning to take a friend east of osoyoos for his first ever deer and my first time out that way and was hoping to get some advice on where to camp. Don't want to go past Christina lake and can bring a quad if recommended but like to hike. Buck or doe doesn't matter, just would like some success. Any spots are greatly appreciated, either way it will be cool to check out a new area for us.

Thanks

Good pay camping is very limited and expensive. There are not a lot of free forestry sites either. most, if not all of the provincial parks are closed. there is a lot of private land, so obey signage and respect property. osoyoos to christina is a massive area, 3 m.u.'s, so check out google earth and do some internet searches for camping near where you want to go. i usually camp on logging road pullouts or dead ends. when its cold i like to bring a camper and plug in at one of the pay campgrounds near hwy 3.

Busterbrown
10-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Hotshots original post stated he was looking for a new area to hunt with a first time deer hunter, why not help them out with some advise. Nothing will get a first timer hooked on hunting quicker than a successful hunt .. I am sure he would appreciate the help. If I had any information for him I would be more than happy to help .. many on this site have helped me in the past

Iron Glove
10-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Hotshots original post stated he was looking for a new area to hunt with a first time deer hunter, why not help them out with some advise. Nothing will get a first timer hooked on hunting quicker than a successful hunt .. I am sure he would appreciate the help. If I had any information for him I would be more than happy to help .. many on this site have helped me in the past

Very well said.
I lucked out on my first ever deer hunt and got a mulie 5 minutes away from our cabin.
Was hooked on hunting forever.
The down side was that I figured "this was easy" and I expected the same results every year. :sad:
Took Son-In-Law out on the Long Weekend for his first hunting experience and he got his first "kill."
Just a rabbit but he's now hooked - chalk up another guy who will be a hunter for the rest of his life.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Its been a long time since I have seen a comment that irritates me like this one. A hunter was simply asking for help that's all and someone wishes him bad luck. Not a very nice thing to do in my opinion.

Ok well shit, he posted something that I found irritating. just because he is a hunter doesn't mean I have to wish him luck. There are a lot of hunters that I hope don't shoot something. This whole every hunter has to kiss ass to every other hunter thing is ridiculous. This is an open forum where I am free to post what I want as long as it doesn't harm anyone so to kind sir I say gfy

GoatGuy
10-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Ok well shit, he posted something that I found irritating. just because he is a hunter doesn't mean I have to wish him luck. There are a lot of hunters that I hope don't shoot something. This whole every hunter has to kiss ass to every other hunter thing is ridiculous. This is an open forum where I am free to post what I want as long as it doesn't harm anyone so to kind sir I say gfy

Interesting perspective.

Always good to consider what anti-hunters 'hope for' and 'think about' when reflecting about how one feels about their fellow hunters.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Yes every anti hunter scours these forums looking for the slightest bit of arguing between two hunters. Then they know they have us right where they want us.

Ricky Bobby
10-20-2015, 11:46 AM

Funny... I now hope you never fill another tag.

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Funny... I now hope you never fill another tag.

see now we are talking! This guy knows what's up! But I probably will still kill something.

Fisher-Dude
10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes every anti hunter scours these forums looking for the slightest bit of arguing between two hunters. Then they know they have us right where they want us.

I don't think you get what GG was telling you.

Let's simplify it: an anti-hunter hopes the guy doesn't shoot a deer. You're hoping the same thing.

Is that more clear?

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Oh ok ya now I get it. I am an anti hunter. well I am an anti ask for gps coordinates hunter. You guys get so worked up about stuff it's pretty funny. You are like a bunch of hitlers if I don't agree with everything you say all of a sudden I am against hunting?! Thanks for clearing that up FD.

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Oh ok ya now I get it. I am an anti hunter. well I am an anti ask for gps coordinates hunter. You guys get so worked up about stuff it's pretty funny. You are like a bunch of hitlers if I don't agree with everything you say all of a sudden I am against hunting?! Thanks for clearing that up FD.

Fisherdude is more like Mike Keenan :shock:

Iron Glove
10-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Fisherdude is more like Mike Keenan :shock:

Nah, FD knows nothing about hockey. :wink:
But he sure knows more about hunting than Keenan. :-o

Fisher-Dude
10-20-2015, 01:32 PM

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/rywsjd8n6dnwxu8pykyo.png

Marlowethelazydog
10-20-2015, 02:47 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/rywsjd8n6dnwxu8pykyo.png

Perfect :)

Ubertuber
10-20-2015, 03:31 PM
What's funny is the lack of reading comprehension. Charlie didn't 'openly ask for GPS coordinates', just area and MU. Funny stuff.
I'm sure Charlie was joking a bit as well.

shuswapbear
10-20-2015, 04:22 PM
He's asking for advice for an area to hunt in, not the exact location of someone's gold claim.

tuner
10-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Try the grandby area around grand forks, there are whitetails a plenty (although it seems not as abundant as days gone by) there is also no shortage of area to camp at, it does tend to be busy though,so be forewarned.Good luck, and happy hunting.

wiggy
10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Head up the Christian Valley. Hike up any of the drainages on the east side. The deer are there. If you really want to get into it and have a better chance of success and actually a great experience pack a tent and bag and go back into some of those back hills and poke around. Once you get into a spot that has lots of sign. Sitting still is a very good idea. Good luck. I hope you kill a cranker but hope you enjoy the experience even more. I love hiking around with a bag and tent and sleeping where ever I end up. Never see anyone for the most part and get to see lots of life. You don't need to pack a ton of weight. Enough stuff for a couple nights.

hotshot
10-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Wow this turned ugly fast! Thanks for the advice and pm's, plan to head to rock creek due to some advice and reduced driving time.

But no thanks to monasheemountainman, ya grouch.

Weatherby Fan
10-20-2015, 09:33 PM
He's asking for advice for an area to hunt in, not the exact location of someone's gold claim.

Wow this turned ugly fast! Thanks for the advice and pm's, plan to head to rock creek due to some advice and reduced driving time.

Haha lmao good one, good luck on your hunt.
WF

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 10:00 PM

ok bud, I'm sorry. I'll admit I was being a dick. There I said it. You are on the right track hunting near rock creek you will see whitetail, and mule deer too. Good luck I HOPE you shoot something��������

REMINGTON JIM
10-20-2015, 10:24 PM
BEN ! :rolleyes: lol RJ

jconn
10-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Is there a map that shows public land near rock creek? I downloaded the discoverbc google maps file and it looks like it's all private land?

monasheemountainman
10-20-2015, 10:42 PM
If coming from hway 33 I would stop somewhere along the way and hunt near the river. Just watch out for pot fields and hillabillies

Charlie76
10-21-2015, 01:54 AM
kgs thanks man for your input I really appreciated , it shows me that you really like to help out which is a great ethic, but there is one thing that i can tell you about those people who don't like to help or share some info which .... selfish ignorant people, so I was asking for MU# dumb ass for those who said I was asking for GPS co-ord, maybe if I start talking to you in Russian you would understand better, you said ( I hope he does not shoot one ). what kind of response is that !!! , i believe lousy cheap people like http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=26499&dateline=1341272273 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?26499-monasheemountainman) monasheemountainman.
would give such answer to other hunters. man excuse me here but you made me say it because you are really a scumbag.

(http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?26499-monasheemountainman)

butthead
10-21-2015, 05:49 AM
the key is to sit for sure you cannot hunt whitetails in region 8 from a quad, buck or doe

what do you mean when u say this
you cannot hunt whitetails in region 8 from a quad, buck or doe
is that something in the regs. if so please post page #

monasheemountainman
10-21-2015, 06:06 AM
You can't shoot one off a quad but you can hunt on a quad as long as your magazine is not loaded in your rifle. Just like road hunting in a truck, can't shoot out the window

frase
10-21-2015, 06:48 AM
what do you mean when u say this
you cannot hunt whitetails in region 8 from a quad, buck or doe
is that something in the regs. if so please post page #

It seems to me that butthead is simply suggesting that you are better to sit when hunting whitetails (boths bucks and does)as opposed to hunting them from a quad.

Gun Dog
10-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Wow this turned ugly fast! Thanks for the advice and pm's, plan to head to rock creek due to some advice and reduced driving time.We used to camp at Trapping Creek Demonstration Site. About 5 min off Hwy 33 on Trapping Creek FSR. There's a pit toilet and room for 3 campers/trailers. Haven't been there in 10 years so who knows if it's still there. The FSR is just North of Beaverdell.

boblly1
10-21-2015, 08:21 AM
just got back home on the 20th of October from 8-14 with success real good white tail numbers lots of mulies but didn't see a shooter buck in range all kinds of camping spots along kettle fsr good provincial sites lots of room to hike clear cut or timber but I disagree that you cant get a whitie from road because we did happen onto a small buck coming back to camp one afternoon good luck and remember mulies must 4 point or larger in the Christian valley

wideopenthrottle
10-21-2015, 12:51 PM
go up to Taurus lakes for some mule... stay lower for WT...or at least that is how it was about 6 years ago when I last hunted there...maybe WT are pushing mules higher now?

REMINGTON JIM
10-22-2015, 12:57 PM
If coming from hway 33 I would stop somewhere along the way and hunt near the river. Just watch out for pot fields and hillabillies

LMAO ! :wink: RJ

coach
10-22-2015, 02:36 PM
go up to Taurus

X2.. I've experienced some hot action by nosing along the finger ridge where clay and Taurus intersect. Make sure you're equipped with good rubber though as that area can get down right slippery when conditions are wet.