PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with my dad's rifle

Golddust
10-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I want to take my dad's rifle out deer hunting as I don't myself own a gun adn my dad won't be with me. What is the etiquette for going out with another person's rifle? If this isn't the right area for this or its already been asked I appologise, but I tried searching adn I couldn't find anything

Cheers guys

ACE
10-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Have you taken any of the hunter training programs, and you may need a possession permit. Others here will know more of the legalities than me .....
Enjoy using your father's rifle ...... the only etiquette is to think of your Dad .....

Sofa King
10-18-2015, 10:24 PM
treat it well.
clean it well when you are done.
and have a good story to tell him after the hunt.

and you might want to take some practice shots with it before your actual hunt.

Foxton Gundogs
10-18-2015, 10:36 PM
In 1954 my dad hand built an old p14 into a very nice hunting rifle, Dad's gone now but still lives in his rifle, I take it out every year and enjoy his "company" all over again. Respect your dad's rifle think of him often and dedicate your kill to him. Good luck

Gateholio
10-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Make sure you have a PAL and a BCHL, ask your dad's permission first and don't damage it.

Golddust
10-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Thank you all for your responses, I appreciated it.

yes I have my PAL and BCHL. I was just up with him earlier in september hunting but I want ot go out alone. He said I can use his rifle but thought there might be some sort of permit that I'd need ot have on me since the gun isn't registered in my name?

greasysidedown
10-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Registration was done away with a couple years ago. [Harper]

Golddust
10-19-2015, 02:30 AM
Ok cool, again thanks.

so just to make it perfectly clear I can take my dad's rifle out (transported locked up and separate form the ammo of course) and that would be completely legal?

skuntor
10-19-2015, 04:54 AM
so just to make it perfectly clear I can take my dad's rifle out (transported locked up and separate form the ammo of course) and that would be completely legal?

Yes to the above. But does not need to be locked during transport. Only needs to be unloaded. Some people decide to remove bolt or to lock during transportation to avoid potential conflict with LEO.

Ride Red
10-19-2015, 06:10 AM
All the info above is what you need. Bring the rifle back in the same or better condition and I'm sure you'll be able to use it again. Good luck.

Golddust
10-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys! much appreciated for all of the help! I'll be sure to treat the rifle well, I always treat others' things better than my own :razz: