PDA

View Full Version : The one that got away

rides bike to work
10-18-2015, 09:15 PM
We all have these stories some of us way to many of them. You'll probably see a few buck bucks before you get a chance to actually shoot one.

I had such an occasion today.

Since the coho on the vedder is slow right now we decided to go for a good hike in the fog this morning. I had found a new two year old cut that has no road access and lots of sign in it that I new would be good to sneak in on.we split up and slowly made our way down hill through some nice big timber glassing every step.
As I came to the top of the cut and the rolls in the land made them selves visible I caught a glimps of the rear end of a deer about 200 yards down at the bottom of the cut. I kept my eye on him and finally his head came out from behind the tree and it was a buck. A big two point with a big body I took off my pack to use as a rest when I noticed another deer I looked with my binoculars and it was a large 4 point it was broadside but by the time I got set on my pack I found the large buck in my scope just in time to see them stroll into the timber. I found my self just shaking. A bit of buck fever with that sinking feeling you get as the big one gets away.

I wonder what to do next. They didn't notice me so I got in a better position and waited for them to hopefully come back out but after about 20 minutes I decided I better move down closer as there was another section of the clearing that wasnt visible that they might have moved into. So I slowly snuck closer glassing every step. I came to within 30 yards of where the deer disappeard and I heard it. Crash crash crash they where just inside the tree line and where probably frozen watching me the last 50 yards.

It didn't sound like they went to far down into the timber but it was pretty messy down there and doubted I'd be able to sneak on them in the bush after spooking them so I back off a bit watched for another 20 minutes then headed back up the hill with hopes of catching them out in the open another time.as I did need to be home by 11;00 to bring my boy to a birthday party.

This has haunted my thoughts all day about what I should have done different
1- after IDing it as a deer I should have taken a natural rest and found it in my scope. There was time to do this but taking off my pack then watching with my binos took my opportunity.
2- they weren't spooked I should have stayed put and kept an eye on the area they might have come back out.
3- should I have gone into the bush after them I don't know. It hasn't worked for me in the past but you never know when you'll get lucky.

i will get back there but the chance of seeing the same buck in the same clearing can't be that good.

Just another one to add to the list of The ones that got away.

Ps it will be much bigger tomorrow

Rayne
10-18-2015, 09:19 PM
I have hunted up that valley two years now and can't find a buck in the bush to save my life

Sofa King
10-18-2015, 09:27 PM
I've played tag with specific deer over whole seasons and even over years before.
more times than not, they always win.

walks with deer
10-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Should have softly said bahaybe yes maybe no.

adriaticum
10-18-2015, 10:57 PM
You should definitely tell me where this happened. I know this valley pretty good, I'll get him for you :mrgreen: