PDA

View Full Version : InReach SE

Wagonmaster
10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Don't want to start another repetitive thread about InReach, Spot etc. but thought I would report that I bought an InReach SE in August and have tested it on the Island and up northwest of Williams Lake and so far it has performed flawlessly. Not cheap, but if it even once gets myself or buds out of a jam it will be worth it. Never saw another vehicle in four days on our Interior trip, so it did provide a certain amount of comfort knowing we had a decent chance of securing assistance if needed. Maybe I'm getting old .

ajeatoo
10-16-2015, 03:05 PM
We have an InReach Explorer it's good I agree, having that extra safety net and the gps and bread trail has helped my husband find his way back in the pitch black after a hunt on many occasions, helped him find and save a lost hunter in -40 who was disoriented up north once too. The only gripe we have is it tends to suddenly just stop tracking of its own violation. Really rather annoying to have to stop and check it to see if it is still doing what it is set for. But still worth the money in our books!

Wagonmaster
10-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Haven't used it for tracking, just to text someone at home to let them know where we are; coordinates are always included in the text. They text back to acknowledge. If lost or broken down, just fire off a text or email. I have a hand held GPS that allows me to find my way back to camp or a parked truck.

ajeatoo
10-16-2015, 05:29 PM
He uses it for tracking but I also follow from home when I'm not out there with him. He's on a moose hunt right now in 7-07 and its quit tracking several times now. Texts have been extremely slow at times also when tracking stops. I like to be able to follow from home every now and then, makes me feel like I'm still part of it from a distance. This trip is a guys only trip hence why I'm not there. So in good faith I'm canning a bunch of meat from our freezers to make room for the moose I'm sure he will bring back! :razz:

boxhitch
10-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Not cheap, but if it even once gets myself or buds out of a jam What are the rates ? never paid attention before. Met a hunter this fall in the Yukon that was carrying on a business transaction in Texas , used the unit for 30-40 times a day for 5 days straight.

Rob Chipman
10-17-2015, 12:56 PM
I haven't used mine for tracking but it's great for texts. Allows me to spend more time out of cel coverage areas without compromising work. $39/month, I think, and you ahve the option of turning the plan off for extended periods. Like it!

Wagonmaster
10-18-2015, 05:47 PM
I went for the least expensive plan - $16.95 per month and 95 cents per text. If you are using the tracking feature, it's 25 cents per track, so even if you set your tracking for once per hour that can add up. Hence that is why I don't use it. If you sign up for $30, 50, or 70 per month, a lot of the tracking and lots of texts are included. Those monthly fees are more than I want to pay. The guy using it 30 or 40 times a day would undoubtedly have the most expensive plan with unlimited texting. The various subscription plans are all explained on their site.

ajeatoo
10-18-2015, 07:01 PM
We have the unlimited plan during hunting season, and lower it in the off season. It has paid for itself many times being able to track and communicate. We are self employed so when he is away on long trips he needs to be able to get in touch for business reasons. And we just went with the unlimited because we don't have to worry about / think about how many tracks or texts have been sent. Bottom line when I'm doing payroll, payables or invoicing and we have a few jobs on the go we can't afford not to pay the fees when we need to. Part of the price of hunting, we just factor it in.
We also use the marine part of it too in the summer when we are on the boat, so for us it's not just a hunting accessory.

Stresd
10-19-2015, 08:09 AM
Got my SE this year as well. Awesome unit compared to my old Spot. Also run the unlimited plan for the last two months As my SE has had real heavy use with the sheep Moose and Deer hunts with not a single hicup. 2 week trip in Sept into the Yukon. Sitting on dash of truck during trip up and down allowed any of our friends/family/wives to contact us at any time via Phone text or E-mail. Noticed that Janet now has the Inreach SE in Alpine Aviations planes and uses her personel one at the base all the time. Lent/transferred mine over to my Cuz for his 14 day sheep hunt. As a long time Spot user Cuz also ran his spot as a backup. He (AND HIS WIFE) are now believer converts to the Inreach SE, and will be selling his spot. Only downside to the Inreach for me is the small dedicated 2,450 mah battery setup. (Spots system is better far as I am concerned) So For the long trips I carry a very small compact, (5"x2.3/4"x7/8") (11 oz) 50,000 mah battery backup to recharge the SE and phone when I'm back in the bush for an extended time. Can be had for about 35 bucks