PDA

View Full Version : First trip out

J-Man
10-16-2015, 02:16 PM
So been out grouse and deer hunting but no waterfowl until yesterday. Normal day at work, but was bored so decided to leave a 4pm and head to the local top secret LML crown land area. Parked at about 4:30 and walked my ass off for a while to get into the reeds. Way to hot walking in waders and carrying two packs of decoys. Got out to my usual area and spooked a few hundred widgeon out on the water. Setup the decoys and setup a make shift blind. All good to go by 5:04 pm. Then nothing, started texting and facebooking, bit of calling and looking around. About 5:45 messaged my hunting buddy that nothing was flying, looked up as my spread and myself were buzzed by 3 ducks nice and low. Shit drop the phone and blast 2 come back calls, no dice they saw me goofing around. Ok time to pay attention now, wait a bit 2 more come in and buzz the tower. They pull a u-e and on my right I see a solo heading out to sea. Ok but WTF did the 2nd go, look left at the spread its hovering to land on top of my robo. Blam take about 8 foot above the robo on a hover, easy shot. Pick it up and back to waiting, few more 2/3 duck fly byes but out of effective range. Grab the phone again to text my buddy about the last shot. Just as I'm putting down the phone a solo is coming in hard, I just raise the gun when it lands in my spread. I pause for a second and say well whatever stand up and take it. The next group is a duo, they do the fly bye a bit high. Throw a come back they circle and check out the spread again, still going a bit fast. Come back again, they come around fast but low and start to dedicate right in front of the blind. Bang one stutters in flight, bang it falls but on a glide to the sea. Shit, it hits the water about 20 feet out. I run from the blind to the water, it starts swimming. Bang it falls over with a few kicks. Water is about knee deep, its hot and I'm out of ammo. I walk back drop the coat and grab 5 shells just in case something comes in while I'm on the retrieve. Start walking back to the floater, and a hawk comes in from no where and scoops it. I just stand there going well, I guess I should have grabbed it right away. Well its 6:40 I don't see anything else going on and I'm losing light time to pack up. Only saw 17 ducks, and 9 in shooting range and bagged 3. Better then spending that last hour at work.

Marinade
Soy Sauce 1/4 cup
Whorchester 1/4 cup
Olive Oil 2 tblsp
Garlic clove
Pepper
Chilli Sauce 1 tblsp
- Let sit for 15-20 min a side

Cook 6 min a side on medium high, Grilled Widgeon.

deltawaterfowler
10-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Less texting and more shooting!

Last year on the marsh same thing happened to my friend. The bird was in the water for no more than a minute before the bald eagle swooped in and grabbed our bird. Guess they gotta eat too!

Glenny
10-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Widgeon talken bout Willis? lol Sounds tasty. Nothing like shootn n a cooken your own food.

bandit
10-18-2015, 11:02 AM
ADHD and duck hunting is not a good combo Jman!