PDA

View Full Version : Came across this last weekend....

Rich_D
10-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Found this on the side of a pull-out last weekend. I called R.A.P.P. and reported what I had found and the guy on the other end of the phone couldn't figure out why I was calling it in. He took my details, Ph#, Address, Name, etc but no one has followed up.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/CyaN1de_01/12D5F045-9AA3-4B1F-8F28-246654A19B62.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj311/CyaN1de_01/425860E3-A5E2-4DD2-BE82-51C74C32CC2C.jpg

There is at least 4 full deer quarters rotting in this bag. I did not go digging through the rest of the bag as it was full of flies and smelled horrible.

I do not understand why someone would go through the trouble of gutting, skinning and quartering an animal just to throw 90% of it away?!?!?

Wentrot
10-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Might have spoiled on them before they got rid of it?

The Dawg
10-16-2015, 11:52 AM
My guess is it spoiled before cutting/cooling properly

Seeker
10-16-2015, 12:14 PM
It still amazes me what some will feel is adequate temperatures to hang meat for extended time periods. Especially with bone in. I was out in the Big White area on the long weekend and drove past numerous camps with animals hanging in the trees. The day time temps were well into the teens and I for one would be quite uncomfortable hanging any meat in those temperatures. I have asked my local butcher about early season hunting and his advice was "if its hot get it into the cooler ASAP". What temperature justifies hot is up for debate. Butcher said the most important part was to get that initial cool as quickly as possible and make sure it cools right through. He mentioned to make sure if we are in doubt to debone it and get to the cooler. I would be comfortable hanging an animal if the temps approached 0 at nights and did not get over 7-8 degrees daytime, but beyond that, I would be getting concerned.

That meat looks very poorly cared for, so I am guessing the previous posters are right in their assumptions. I would be embarassd to show anyone my deer if it look even remotely like that.

blackbart
10-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Looks like they took great pride in cleanliness. F*ing ignorant slobs. Even if the meat didn't spoil who would want to eat that????

rocksteady
10-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, maybe it was a brand new hunter who did not have a mentor to show them the ropes, as far as skinning, meat care and how to avoid spoilage.

rifleman
10-16-2015, 01:16 PM
well they sure screwed up, what a waste... hope they see this and can learn from it so they never do it again..

paulo
10-16-2015, 01:19 PM
I must agree with Seeker. I would add I never hang anything for more than a day over 5 degrees. Optimum is 1 or 2 degrees daytime. I think a carcass can take at least 5 nights of up to -3 before starting to freeze. Not 100% sure about that and have never had to test it. I'm usually home within two nights of bagging something.

budismyhorse
10-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Not an issue for COs.....they have better things to deal with.

Also shows the lack of savvy as a hunter the fella who dumped that meat has. Dumping the plastic as well is an extra point for being just a straight up asshole.

markomoose
10-16-2015, 02:14 PM
I just got back today out west of P.G.It was a friken gong show out there but we had fun.+12 to +15 everyday.That was one of the earliest hunts i've been on in years.I generally don't take my hunts till end of oct/nov because i'm not going to take the chance of spoilage.Too much time and money invested to throw it away.

Jelvis
10-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Never use plastic to put wild game in when warm, bone sour folks, lots of carcasses at the dump too, went bad on em, warm days and nights for a week and Bambo.
Never wrap plastic around any fresh warm raw meat.

dakoda62
10-16-2015, 02:41 PM
If it was wrapped in plastic just after skinning then it more than likely spoiled. NEVER wrap meat in plastic.

Glenny
10-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Prolly had to go get a vehicle and...............

scallywag
10-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Where was this?

Timbow
10-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Sad to see but shit happens and without knowing the history behind this, it difficult to judge. At least the plastic could have been removed as I'm sure something will try to eat it with it being stained with blood.

scotty30-06
10-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Game bags are the only way to go...no plastic

Rich_D
10-16-2015, 05:28 PM
This was up around Lac Le Jeune Rd. CO just called and left a message. They did go out and take a look but said not a lot of evidence left but they have put the word out.

As far as it being a new hunter I doubt it. Probably someone that was camped up there and had it go bad while they were there. Just a guess on my part. Could just as easily be a local that had it go bad at home and took it out and dumped it.

Just seems a waste to me when someone else could have shot that deer and used the meat.

Onesock
10-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Why didnt they skin it?

Jelvis
10-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Better to put the spoiled meat out in the wild country to feed the animals then to feed the City rats at the dump.
Walking the halls of Karma.
Jel -- Just saying what I think is right, not expecting all to do the same.

Daybreak
10-16-2015, 08:22 PM
The plastic wrap makes me wonder. If the meat was spoiled already, I can't see anyone wrapping it in plastic simply to throw it away.

This leads me to think, as others have suggested , that they either didn't know what they were doing and put the meat in plastic after the harvest or...

The meat was being transported concealed in a vehicle and was dumped for fear of being caught poaching. The condition of the meat and care in handling it suggests it may have been done by amateurs in a big hurry.

A find like the OP's just makes me suspicious.

Sofa King
10-16-2015, 08:29 PM
sooo, the CO's didn't want this reported?
they want all our help, then they don't want to hear half of it???

walks with deer
10-16-2015, 08:32 PM
I walk guess someone came home from the long weekend took to butcher he was full they didn't know what to do... I would guess extreme green hunter or poacher being quartered.
I always wonder how many muley does die in whitetail do season due to excited inexperiance.

Xenomorph
10-16-2015, 09:58 PM
What a waste. That's one of the reasons why I'm building a refrigerated trailer to tow with the Jeep. When I'm alone it's easy in/out. When I'll be with friends or going for a moose/grizz then at least we can make sure the meat stays fresh and cool.

What a job on the skinning too. I show up like this to my wife she'll ****ing smack me with it.

walks with deer
10-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Ya same person says I don't like game me.... cause someone didn't care for it dummies

Rich_D
10-17-2015, 10:03 PM
What a waste. That's one of the reasons why I'm building a refrigerated trailer to tow with the Jeep. When I'm alone it's easy in/out. When I'll be with friends or going for a moose/grizz then at least we can make sure the meat stays fresh and cool.

What a job on the skinning too. I show up like this to my wife she'll ****ing smack me with it.

My wife said "ewww hairy meat" When she saw the picture. She knows how anal I am about getting all the hair off.

walks with deer
10-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Hairy meat anal and your wife all in the same paragraph. ..

Where is this going.

Steve W
10-19-2015, 08:26 PM
sooo, the CO's didn't want this reported?
they want all our help, then they don't want to hear half of it???

When you call the RAPP line you don't talk to a CO. You're talking to someone at the Call Center in Victoria who then forwards the information to the closest office. Thousands of calla year are dealt with this way. Did you read post #17. The CO got back to him the next day after they went out and looked at the meat.

Xenomorph
10-20-2015, 12:17 AM
My wife said "ewww hairy meat" When she saw the picture. She knows how anal I am about getting all the hair off.

Yup, take your time, respect the animal and do a thorough job. It's a waste otherwise. If you're heading in and set to camp for a long time dig a cache or put the deer in a creek and cover with some boulders. Anyway, waste of good meat. Might have been better if they'd smoke it a little, not sure how long they kept it out.

Poacher or new hunter?!? Doesn't really matter, just a waste at this point.

Hairy meat anal and your wife all in the same paragraph. ..

Where is this going.

Shall we grab some popcorn?!?