PDA

View Full Version : 12ga or 20ga for Upland birds and ducks?

ajr5406
10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
Never hunted birds, but would like to get a shotgun that I can use for both upland birds and ducks etc. If a guy was just going to buy one shotgun to cover most bases (and yes, I know thats like saying I will buy one fly rod for all fly fishing), what would you get - a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?

adriaticum
10-15-2015, 04:35 PM
I vote for 12 ga. It's the most versatile

ruger#1
10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
I like my 20g it is a much lighter gun, Get it in 3" magnum if you get one. The fly rods I use the most are 3wt. I do not like packing heavy.

roughcountry
10-15-2015, 05:59 PM
My vote is 12 ga ......

Marlowethelazydog
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
I hunt upland August through april (remember snowshoe). Get a 20 gauge if weight is an issue, get a 12 if not. Essentially, both have almost identical penetration and speed 20 just has less shot. FWIW don't wack upland birds with a 3" 20 gauge - you will ruin meat and actually get a lousy pattern. 2.75 is fine for all upland game. Both will kill waterfowl dead, just on requires you to shoot straighter than the other. Frankly I hunt with only enough gauge for the animal. If you want something to shoot chickens with road hunting it doesn't matter what you get. I you want to do honest to god upland hunting that means walking and you will want a light gun. August through October I carry a 410 bore double and kill bunnies, quail and grouse in very high numbers. I switch to a 20 when the shots get longer. I use a proper goose gun for waterfowl.

caddisguy
10-15-2015, 06:26 PM
I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.

Marlowethelazydog
10-15-2015, 07:20 PM
I would go for the 12ga. If you're on foot whacking birds/bunnies and run into problems with yogi you'll have it covered. Or maybe a big buck walks out... 20ga slug might to the job but I'd rather have a 12ga for the occasion.

Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.

huntingfamily
10-15-2015, 07:28 PM
I would recommend a 12 gauge as well. It will give you more versatility with what you decide to hunt.

speycaster
10-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Go big or go home, 10 gauge all the way. :mrgreen:

Jedcote50
10-15-2015, 08:09 PM
If you are just starting out get a cheap ($400- $500) 12 ga. O/U or SxS, they're more versatile (greater choice of cheaper ammo) and can have a generous shot pattern suitable for upland or fowl. They can be used on big game and it's always a good idea to carry a couple of slugs or 00 buckshot if you wander around bear territory. Lots of entertainment factor in the off season dusting clays and you don't have to treat them nice . I don't like the rattlin' noise with a pump or auto. Once you established if it's your "thing" then you can get fancy and get yourself a 20 or even the princess 28 ga.. Personally I use a 410 SxS for chickens, unless it late season blues and then I need something with more pellets. And by the way, I find for a fly pole I love the 5 wt for interior lakes, enough back bone to punch into the wind and wrestle with the occasional big one while supple enough to let a pan fry feel like he's worth the effort.

Everett
10-15-2015, 08:26 PM
If I was to have only one shotgun it would be a sxs 12 guage 28 inch barrel with fixed chokes Full and Modified. Or if I was a pump guy a rem 870 with a 28 inch barrel with interchangeable chokes.

caddisguy
10-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Ugh, both hit as hard. 20 gauge is actually very similar to a 45/70 for short range ballistics.12 just makes a slightly different sized hole.

Don't "Ugh" me unless you are saying you would be indifferent to having a 12 gauge versus a 20 gauge when dealing with an aggressive bear. And if you want to shoot 00 buck... how do those 20 gauge shells work out for ya?

A fly hits a windshield just as hard as the windshield hits it. Physics man :) A 12 gauge is more versatile and has more potential for takedown power, period.

Marlowethelazydog
10-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Don't "Ugh" me unless you are saying you would be indifferent to having a 12 gauge versus a 20 gauge when dealing with an aggressive bear. And if you want to shoot 00 buck... how do those 20 gauge shells work out for ya?

A fly hits a windshield just as hard as the windshield hits it. Physics man :) A 12 gauge is more versatile and has more potential for takedown power, period.

How is a 12 g more versatile? Except a 410 all gauges launch at the same velocity just different shot density. 20 gauge is the preferred deer slug among those that slug hunt not 12 because of exactly the same fps and terminal potential but with less damage to the meat. I have shot 00 buck through a 20 gauge with very lethal results. So they work just dandy. Just ' cause a 12 is louder doesn't mean it is "better". That's a rooky mistake. Plus the OP is more about upland hunting not "what gauge is best in case I am attacked by a bear". Hate to to tell ya pal bird shot from any shotgun at close range will mess a target up bad. I stick by my " ugh". I do apologize to the OP for drifting.

caddisguy
10-16-2015, 07:41 AM
How is a 12 g more versatile? Except a 410 all gauges launch at the same velocity just different shot density. 20 gauge is the preferred deer slug among those that slug hunt not 12 because of exactly the same fps and terminal potential but with less damage to the meat. I have shot 00 buck through a 20 gauge with very lethal results. So they work just dandy. Just ' cause a 12 is louder doesn't mean it is "better". That's a rooky mistake. Plus the OP is more about upland hunting not "what gauge is best in case I am attacked by a bear". Hate to to tell ya pal bird shot from any shotgun at close range will mess a target up bad. I stick by my " ugh". I do apologize to the OP for drifting.

12ga is more versatile for birds because shot density and shot stringing allows to be more effective at a longer distance. You are likely to miss more often beyond 40 yards with a 20ga. The fact it doubles as a defense gun with more stopping power is something the OP might want to consider. There is no rule against having a couple rounds with slugs or 00 on your waist.

I do enjoy 410's and 20ga because they are weigh less and there is less meat damage if you shoot too close at a close range. That said I know my pattern well enough that I rarely end up with many pellets in the meat. 410 is my absolute favorite for grouse at close range but I rarely use it because that is a specific application. I don't like packing a bunch of guns so I usually take the 12ga. When I don't, I often wish I did.

Lets stick to actual pros and cons rather than statements like "just because one is louder doesn't make it better". That is not very helpful. Obviously there are more differences than sound, otherwise they wouldn't be on the shelf and there is likely a reason most replies suggested 12ga for someone who only wants one shotgun. And check the attitude at the door, this isn't the politics section :)

Glenny
10-16-2015, 09:05 AM
I would say 12 is better for both. I think 20 gauge may be a little light with steel shot n all for ducktheathon.

10-16-2015, 09:13 AM
I bought a 12ga for my first shotgun. i come from Extensive Upland back ground but i wanted something that did ducks because i was 40 minutes away from Seaducks... if i did not live there that close to the chuck i would have gone 20ga because i love my upland.... and a 20 will do the "incidental duck trip" i had zero intention of deer with it.... though my Great uncle has wacked hundreds of deer with cut shells from a 20 and and slugs...

my vote.... if you are thinking more upland, out if the two choices id go 20Ga.... if you plan on doing more ducks then upland and have a place to shoot ducks a 12 minght be a better bet.....
forget about defense.....

FirePower
10-16-2015, 09:53 AM
If you want to use the same gun for upland and waterfouw go with a 12 in what ever configeration fits you the best. If you want an excuse to have more scatterguns then a nice sxs 20 for grouse quail and partridge, a nice 12 O/U for phesant and jump shooting ducks and a Beretta, Winchester or Benelli auto loader for alround waterfowl.

1/2 slam
10-17-2015, 09:18 AM
I don't hunt waterfowl, upland only. I use an over and under 16 ga. Love it

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2015, 01:04 PM
I love my old Fox double for smaller upland but for an all round shotgun I would suggest an O/U 3" 12 ga. I have used my Red Label for everything from quail to geese, it kills chit just fine.

yamadirt 426
10-18-2015, 05:19 PM
I love my 870 20ga jr model. get good with your gun and you can whack 40yd birds no problem. I use it everywhere. Up land, farm land, sea side. shot everything except 00 buck out of it. Short quick and light and deadly. Not saying which is better because that is a never ending argument . All im saying is I love it. But im not a fan of the price of a box of shells.

Marlowethelazydog
10-19-2015, 05:41 AM
I don't hunt waterfowl, upland only. I use an over and under 16 ga. Love it

I bet that is a purdy gun. I am seriously considering a nice used 16 double or if j can't find o e the browning bps - the stock is scaled to the gauge.

1/2 slam
10-20-2015, 10:49 PM
I bet that is a purdy gun. I am seriously considering a nice used 16 double or if j can't find o e the browning bps - the stock is scaled to the gauge.

Keep an eye out for a Cortona, Verona or a FAIR. The are all Rizzinis. Italian made and nice guns.

ACB
11-02-2015, 08:52 AM
If your worried about weight, Benelli make's the Ultra Lite. I think it comes in at about 6.5 LBS. in 12ga. semi auto loader also in 20 and 28ga. A bit pricey at just over 2 grand but pick on up and it will be hard to put it done.

ajr5406
08-19-2016, 10:21 AM
I love my old Fox double for smaller upland but for an all round shotgun I would suggest an O/U 3" 12 ga. I have used my Red Label for everything from quail to geese, it kills chit just fine.

Ive been looking around an the Ruger Red Label's are hard to find. Are they still making them?

Surrey Boy
08-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Both will work for everything, but I suggest 12ga.

BgBlkDg
08-19-2016, 06:38 PM
If your worried about weight, Benelli make's the Ultra Lite. I think it comes in at about 6.5 LBS. in 12ga. semi auto loader also in 20 and 28ga. A bit pricey at just over 2 grand but pick on up and it will be hard to put it done.

I am seriously considering one in 20 for my *geezer grouser* on Blues and Ruffs, at home in the Kootenays.

scoutlt1
08-19-2016, 06:40 PM
I am seriously considering one in 20 for my *geezer grouser* on Blues and Ruffs, at home in the Kootenays.

Don't you already have enough guns BBD?? ;)

250 sav
08-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Mostly upland I would go 20
Mostly waterfowl I would go12

BgBlkDg
08-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Don't you already have enough guns BBD?? ;)

I AM *trying* to quit.......... ;)

Sasquatch
08-20-2016, 10:29 AM
I prefer a 20 for upland and a 12 for ducks, but for simplicity sake I just use 12s for both, with different loads.

Check the prices for shells before you decide, you may be surprised to see how much more 20 gauge shells are than 12s.

lenardobc
08-20-2016, 11:01 AM
I vote 20g for upland.

Singleshotneeded
08-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Never hunted birds, but would like to get a shotgun that I can use for both upland birds and ducks etc. If a guy was just going to buy one shotgun to cover most bases (and yes, I know thats like saying I will buy one fly rod for all fly fishing), what would you get - a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge?

IF the 20 gauge version of the shotgun you're looking at buying is lighter and handles better than the 12 gauge version, then get the 20 gauge...especially if you'll be carrying it a lot. If there's very little or no difference, then get the 12 gauge. You can get light loads for the 12 and move up from there until you're happy, and you'll find that most stores carry a much larger variety of loads for the 12 versus the 20 as it's "the standard".

Brno22F
08-21-2016, 07:00 PM

Either will work. For water fowling, I always use 12 ga. When hunting grouse, I prefer a 20 ga SxS but often carry an old Rem 870 with a 20 inch barrel with no choke.
Remember the Royal Canadian Air Farce and Colonel Stacey with his "Chicken Cannon"? My kids nicknamed the 870 after that hilarious Air Farce skit. It literally rains grouse when I am on my game with that old Remington. I use standard trap loads of 1 +1/8 oz of #7+1/2 or #8 shot. In the 20 ga I use 7/8 oz of the same shot sizes. Both the SxS and the 870 are fixed choke guns. As mentioned, the 870 is cylinder choke and the SxS is choked Skeet and Skeet.

If I chase ducks or geese or shoot a round of trap or 2, the 870 gets a barrel swap to a 28 inch vent rib with full choke. Sometimes I carry the 870 at work with a slug barrel with sights just in case I run into Yogi.

The 12 ga 870 is the more versatile gun in my opinion. The 20 ga is wonderful to carry but, due to choke, not my choice as a waterfowl gun.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-21-2016, 08:19 PM
I was in the same boat as original poster last year ... upland was done with my 22 .. never really did alot of Fouling ...

I found an old CIL 12 gauge for cheap ... Basically its a Mossburg 500 Clone .
its old and beaten but I love it ... shoots great and for how much I am really into scattergun and fouling (Not alot just dipping my toe into that pool ) the Shot brand ammo at some sport "wholesale"r place for like 12 or 13 bucks a box ... works great

J-Man
09-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Buy a 12g, then later buy a 20g - no one buys just one shotgun. You might start with one, but that doesn't last long.

spaghetti
09-14-2016, 05:26 PM
I personally use a Beretta 12 gauge. My brother spent 2 years in Churchill Manitoba, which is basically goose heaven. He said the locals up there all use 20 gauge with 3" magnum and had no problem keeping up to his 12 gauge Browning. My 2 cents worth.

jburgundy
09-14-2016, 11:07 PM
If you want to seriously get into waterfowl hunting, you'll need a 12 gauge. On a sunny day with no wind, both will do just fine, but that's not when ducks fly before before legal light cutoff. No, when the ducks are flying it will be raining and the wind will be howling, so under these conditions having the extra amount of shot makes a big difference.
Gun: Benelli Supernova Pump (Semi if you can afford it) - these guns survive anything you put them through
Ammo: During good weather, almost anything will do, but for those prime duck days I have had good success with #2 shot Heavy Steel - seems to hold true better in the wind and rain.

This being said, of all my duck hunting buddies we all have different guns and all prefer an array of different ammo and chokes - so once you make your choice on a gun, buy a box of a bunch of different types of shells, get out and have fun!

selvir
10-29-2016, 10:34 PM
Buy once, cry once...the 3B i trust the most are: Benelli Black Eagle 2 , Browning A5, Beretta A400 Xtreme
in 3.5" 12 gauge semi auto possibly with 30" barrel and u good for anything that comes your way...
those are the only 3 brands i'll buy be it shotgun or rifle...

Surrey Boy
10-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Buy once, cry once...the 3B i trust the most are: Benelli Black Eagle 2 , Browning A5, Beretta A400 Xtreme
in 3.5" 12 gauge semi auto possibly with 30" barrel and u good for anything that comes your way...
those are the only 3 brands i'll buy be it shotgun or rifle...

Remington, Savage, Mossberg for those of us who know what we're paying for.

selvir
11-03-2016, 06:19 PM
We all know different things :)

selvir
11-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Remington, Savage, Mossberg for those of us who know what we're paying for.

We all know different things :)

Chuck
11-23-2016, 01:02 PM
I like my 20g it is a much lighter gun, Get it in 3" magnum if you get one. The fly rods I use the most are 3wt. I do not like packing heavy.

I agree! This is the logic I'd use. However if money is no object, then by all means have one of each.

adriaticum
11-23-2016, 01:47 PM
So what did you end up getting in the end?

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 09:02 AM
So what did you end up getting in the end?

Nothing yet... Im leaning towards a 12ga O/U, but I need to save my pennies...

boxhitch
11-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Best bang for your buck would be in a side by side. Some real bargains for some quality pieces. They worked well enough for a hundred years until the flavour changed.
Some beautiful wood can be had for a song.

shortrange
11-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Ever thought about 410? Great for grouse, not sure about ducks since I don't hunt them. Useful for rabbits, too. Guns and ammo are crazy cheap and they are light to carry even with long barrels.

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Best bang for your buck would be in a side by side. Some real bargains for some quality pieces. They worked well enough for a hundred years until the flavour changed.
Some beautiful wood can be had for a song.

Interesting! I'd certainly love a side by side... Where should I look for a bargain?

I don't need anything fancy, it would be my first shotgun, so something that I can just have some fun with and not have to worry too much about in the bush would be nice.

adriaticum
11-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Interesting! I'd certainly love a side by side... Where should I look for a bargain?

I don't need anything fancy, it would be my first shotgun, so something that I can just have some fun with and not have to worry too much about in the bush would be nice.

Christmas is coming and sales will follow.
Watch all the sales or someone unloading one used.
If you're not stuck on tradition a good semi auto is the best. It will do everything. But you won't look cool with a broken shotgun over your shoulder lol

boxhitch
11-26-2016, 06:34 PM
....so something that I can just have some fun with and not have to worry too much about in the bush would be nice.$2-500 shoild get you into something to last a lifetime. If you change up later , they make a nice wall hanger. Its going to be blued and wood so some care is needed.

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 07:04 PM
$2-500 shoild get you into something to last a lifetime. If you change up later , they make a nice wall hanger. Its going to be blued and wood so some care is needed.

Nice, that would be sweet. Any brands to look at?

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Christmas is coming and sales will follow.
Watch all the sales or someone unloading one used.
If you're not stuck on tradition a good semi auto is the best. It will do everything. But you won't look cool with a broken shotgun over your shoulder lol

Good point... I do like the simplicity and tradition of the double barrels for some reason. I also like bamboo Spey rods, so maybe it's just me ��

adriaticum
11-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Good point... I do like the simplicity and tradition of the double barrels for some reason. I also like bamboo Spey rods, so maybe it's just me ��

I scored this Russian beauty a couple of years ago right here on HBC.
Keep your eyes open always.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2014-08-10_18_50_21.jpg

ajr5406
11-26-2016, 09:22 PM
I scored this Russian beauty a couple of years ago right here on HBC.
Keep your eyes open always.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2014-08-10_18_50_21.jpg

Very nice. Yeah, something like that would be ideal

Steve W
11-27-2016, 07:38 PM
For the past three years I've been shooting a Weatherby PA-08 12ga. I have the synthetic combo both the rifled slug barrel and a longer field barrel. I believe that combination only comes in 12ga, but you can get just the PA-08 synthetic with the field barrel only in 20ga. I like this shotgun as it's a dependable, low maintenance basic shotgun. Not a budget breaker either. This waterfowl season I've shot it weather as cold as -12 and it just keeps grinding out the shots. Very decent shotgun. You can also get a 20ga in some of their other models two.