PDA

View Full Version : South slopes

mulieaddiction
10-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Hey im going hunting to try to get a deer this weekend why is it that i never see any deer on south facing slopes last year in rut i tryed hunting south facing slopes and nothint i dont understand still trying to find me a buck for many years

tinhorse
10-15-2015, 10:45 AM
South slopes are great in the spring as they get the first green up. This time of year the vegetation on them has baked over the summer and is usually has a lower nutrient value than the more shaded north east slopes. I guarantee there are deer on south slopes out there, you just haven't found them. But in your case look at the north sides.

mulieaddiction
10-15-2015, 10:59 AM
I hunt region 3 and 8 and everyone always talks about south slopes i dont see nothing every year i bust my ass hiking ridges slopes nothing

coach
10-15-2015, 11:30 AM
I hunt region 3 and 8 and everyone always talks about south slopes i dont see nothing every year i bust my ass hiking ridges slopes nothing

For what it's worth, see a lot more when I'm sitting than when I'm hiking..

Bugle M In
10-15-2015, 11:55 AM
I hear people saying hunt the north slopes during the rut.
I don't know, I guess where I hunt during the rut, there may be some truth to it.
But most of the deer I find on that hillside/mountain, seem to be on the west side.
But, the feed should be generally on the main south facing slopes, but as coach stated, some years
it may be to dry a summer, so they move elsewhere on the slopes.
And for alpine hunters of muley, I heard some say due to the wet summers of the past, that some deer
appear to not be returning to the alpine country, but staying lower down.....just saying what others have noticed in
previous threads.
Rut is coming, hope the snow does too!!, but I doubt it....
Just start looking for signs of the rut, scrapes and prints, and this may give you some sense of where the deer were coming from, or
hanging around, in the area you have been searching so far this season.
the best thing you can do is, if you believe you are in great deer country, is to hunt it often, so you get an idea of the area, and how the
deer use it.
It takes time, and effort, but it will give you all the "general" answers you are looking for.
Also, if there is snow, drive around the outskirt areas as well, to see where the deer are travelling from an to.
good luck...hope you get one!

mulieaddiction
10-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks guys im leaving tomorrow morning im only 23 so i hope to get a nice one but i good guess ill be okay with a small spike lol

Rayne
10-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Go find the tall old growth forest and walk slow.

Sofa King
10-15-2015, 03:11 PM
I've never really paid attention to slopes, and I sure don't concentrate on them.
just hike, go slow, watch everything closely, and cover as much ground as you can.
you can sit also, but that's a waste unless you've already located deer.
get out and wander, and prepared for anything at any moment.
morning and evening are the usual "hot times", but I've shot more animals during the midday hours than any.

blackford
10-15-2015, 04:02 PM
It's probably because you don't use any punctuation.....

Kidding.

Bugle M In
10-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Go find the tall old growth forest and walk slow.

Especially around the inner edges of newer clearcuts.
You'll notice pictures on this site of many successful (not all) hunters, where you can see tht they have taken a buck just on the fringes of
clearcuts, near the old growth stands, as deer go out to feed.
And others are successful just inside those cutblocks, as deer will bed and move thru the old growth.
Try and look for the spots in cutblocks that most people, when driving can't look into.
Seems deer have a natural habit of feeding, bedding etc in those secluded spots...
They seem to know they are safe there, and left unbothered much of the time.
Just my opinion.
Good luck...have fun

mulieaddiction
10-15-2015, 04:11 PM
**** punctuation lol and thanks guys ill give it a try and ya i always see pics of big bucks shot in big huge cutblocks and dont underatand why they would be out there but i guess they were on the tree line

rides bike to work
10-15-2015, 09:06 PM
If you can find a nice cut or set of cuts off of a fairly un used spur road slowly walk into them at first and last light and make sure you glass every step you take. During the other hours of the day walk slowly with the wind in your face in some open timber and hight of land. And luck helps luckily you have put the time in so it will happen soon enough

Backwoods
10-16-2015, 06:17 AM
I personally hunt the south slopes for sheds, they make great winter ranges for the deer, I have shot my last few deer in the end of Nov. On these south slopes when the deer are just moving into their winter range! Good luck buddy don't give up!

nelsonob1
10-16-2015, 07:09 AM
For what it's worth, see a lot more when I'm sitting than when I'm hiking..

x2

White tail much easier to find when sitting. Just find an area with fresh sign and then sit.

Stillhunting
10-16-2015, 07:11 AM
When you're around the height of land you can work different slopes and see how the deer use them at different times of day or year.

Lastcar
10-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Had a couple very experienced hunters tell me the shadows are a very common place to find them. So south facing slopes would be less inclined to have shadows if indeed that is something they prefer. Naturally shadows helps them "hide" lets them see all the glowing in the sun things they don't like in front of them.

I've done a piss poor job paying attention to which way the slopes are facing when I am out. But have found does bedded along tree lines the last few trips. Sometimes in the shadows or right on the treeline. Other times a few yards off the trees in what I'd say isn't an ideal spot for them. But I sure as hell am not a deer , so far from it for me to tell them what to do. Imagine typing with hooves? Jelvis, are you a deer? Cause if so I love your posts even more now!

Just hoping one of these times to see something poking up. And then actually be able to move close enough to take care of business.