PDA

View Full Version : Interior Mountain Goat Winter Ranges

cjvb
10-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Hey!

I'm wondering if some of you more knowledgeable guys can help me out. This year is my first time hunting mountain goats and I have a LEH draw for a portion of 4-25. The draw area is about 5 hours from where I live, but I have been able to make a few weekend trips and so far the research of that particular area has really paid off - I've found them critters every time! Each time I've climbed the 1500+m to get to where they are I've either encountered a segment of unpassable terrain preventing a good shot, or the goats have been hanging out on ledges where retrieval would be impossible or the fall would destroy them. The terrain is incredibly steep and the mountains are all about 3000m.
For anyone familiar with that 4-25, 4-35, 4-24 area (geography seems quite similar in those MUs), what I'm wondering is how much lower the goats would likely come down in mid-late November when snowfall in the mountain tops is accumulating and their upper range food sources are becoming more scarce? (Assuming that this fall/winter weather will be similar to the past few years...)

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

GoatGuy
10-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Right now they will follow the snowline up and down. Sometimes they will head right down depending on the snowline.

November the billies will be stuck to the nannies.

Which sub zone is your draw?