PDA

View Full Version : Galvinized stove pipe ok for wall tent or poisonous

Ruch13
10-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Anyone know if galvy stove pipe is ok, or is it poisoness should I use something else ? thanks

dougan
10-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Can't see why it would be good. Nasty shart that stuff

one-shot-wonder
10-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Used 4" on a recent northern hunt....survived just fine, no smell inside the tent.

Daybreak
10-14-2015, 09:07 PM
I researched it and it only gives off the harmful gases at something like 1650 degrees F. Your stove pipe should not reach that temp. It can be serious problem for welders if they are not outfitted with proper ventilation and breathing gear.

You can google welding galvanized and it brings up lots of information. I did "season" all my pipes and stove really well before using in the tent. People have been using it for years and I don't know of any illnesses linked to galvanized stovepipes or manufacturers warnings.

.264winmag
10-14-2015, 09:12 PM
I run the galvanized.
Wait, what were we talking about?

lip_ripper00
10-14-2015, 09:17 PM
I use it out side the tent, proper black chimney pipe in side. Cyanide os the gas given off and I can get the pipes glowing red well above 950 degrees.

Daybreak
10-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Double checked. Danger is at 1652 degrees f. At that temp the zinc coating literally vaporizes and becomes zinc oxide which could cause metal fume sickness. Not an issue for wood stoves.

Ambush
10-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Black pipe inside and galvanized outside. The black pipe is a heavier gauge, so withstands the heat near the fire box better.

Galvanized "vent" pipe is not made to the same heat rating and can give off dangerous fumes. But it is way cheaper and easier to find.

375shooter
10-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I've used it in my wall tent. I never noticed any type of harmful fumes, and I'm sensitive to that sort of thing.

boxhitch
10-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Stove manufacturers sell it with their stoves , wonder why ?

Ruch13
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Still unsure whether to use it. Thanks for the replys

Riverratz
10-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Have used galvanized for the past three years with no issues.
Have added a couple of pieces of black pipe to increase the height, ........ mainly cause I couldn't find galvanized at the store I was in and couldn't be bothered to look elsewhere.
Galvanized gets rusty and cruddy looking after a year or two whereas the black pipe doesn't, it just keeps looking black and no rust.
Pipe is cheap in the big picture, eventually I'll replace it all with black.

dargis
10-15-2015, 11:58 PM
Put the stove outside and light a nice hot fire and you should be able to burn the galvanizing off of the pipe. I just did my new chimney this way yesterday.

M.Dean
10-16-2015, 05:51 AM
Put the stove outside and light a nice hot fire and you should be able to burn the galvanizing off of the pipe. I just did my new chimney this way yesterday. I agree, I'd stuff news paper into the pipe and light it so it burns off any crap on the pipe, or you could take a small butane torch to it also. Good luck on your trip.

nelsonob1
10-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Don't use galv pipe where it connects to the stove. Those that do, if you take a look at your pipe you will see that the galv has evaporated off. The fumes are very harmful, even in small quantities when trapped in a small poorly ventilated space such as a tent.

boxhitch
10-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Just follow the instructions that come with the stove and pipe , it is safe.
FIRST BURN, CURING YOUR STOVE - It is a good idea to set stove up outside for the first burn, because the paint and galvanized pipe will smoke and stink. If you want to do your first burn in your tent, allow a couple hours time before occupying so smoke will clear. It is best to leave water heater off while curing stove paint. Build an average size fire and load stove well. Set damper on door about 1/2 open and let burn. Stove should be cured after about 1 hour.
Buying the pipe that is tapered and fits inside itself for transport is worth every dollar spent.

Beaufortranger
10-16-2015, 09:06 AM
At the very least buy two 18" sections of black stovepipe for right at the stove then you can use any shite you want from there up. Seriously they were 6.99 a section at back country in ft St john yesterday.

tyreguy
10-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Just buy the correct pipe and you have nothing to worry about, put a damper in too while you're at it.

Edzzed
10-17-2015, 03:37 PM
What about getting some 4 or 5 inch muffler piping.

Daybreak
10-17-2015, 03:51 PM
The galvanized stove pipe is perfectly safe to use with a woodstove unless you plan on welding on it in your tent. The critical temp is 1600 + degree F. At that temperature the zinc coating (galvanized) vaporizes and combines with O2 to form zinc oxide. Extensive breathing of the zinc oxide may lead to what is called metal fume fever which is not good. Some people are effected more than others. Even if it did manage to vaporize it would be a one time deal and poof...gone. Season your stove and pipework and sleep well.

Accurate and factual information can be found on the internet. Problem is the reliable information is mostly found in PDF files and I don't know how to copy and paste a PDF. Someone mentioned cyanide gas being released from galvanized stove pipes. I would like to see a link that might verify that. Cyanide gas is stone cold deadly.

All this hubbub is just an old wives tale. Don't weld the stuff and it poses no danger. I've being using it for years without a single issue. Benefit of the galvanized is it's light weight and low cost.