PDA

View Full Version : GPS unit found on a quad trail

hparrott
10-14-2015, 07:59 AM
I found a hand held GPS in region 5-1 near where it borders 3-30. The unit has battery life so it couldn't have been lost too long ago. If you know of someone who was hunting in the area ask around to see if someon lost one or if you lost one, PM me to identify as I would like to get it back to its rightful owner. Cheers

boxhitch
10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Good on you for speaking up.
Reminds me how none of my gear has my name on, doh !

Gun Dog
10-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I just got back from there and have some friends who are still there hunting. pm sent.

Slinky Pickle
10-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Check and see if it has a waypoint named "Home". I know that mine does. :)

Gateholio
10-15-2015, 08:03 AM
I lost one in that area although I doubt it's mine. It was a Garmin erred summit. Kinda grey/olive in color

kevan
10-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Thats the same area where our cabin is and we have found a few cell phones, managed to get them back to their owners.

hparrott
10-15-2015, 08:54 AM
I lost one in that area although I doubt it's mine. It was a Garmin erred summit. Kinda grey/olive in color

Sorry it isn't the same one but I hope you get yours back

skibum
10-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Some have an option to input contact information when they are first turned on - try booting it up and watch to see if the owner did that

Steeleco
10-15-2015, 10:05 AM
This is the reason I have my name and cell number on my home screen. Matters not what waypoints I have.

Good for you in doing the right thing! Faith in humanity restored even for just a little while LOL

scotty30-06
10-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Yea man great on ya

Daybreak
10-15-2015, 06:21 PM
The unit will have a serial number. You should be able to provide the manufacturer that number with an explanation of how you found it and would like to see it back in its owners hands. As far as I know, part of getting the maximum benefit from these units and updating them requires registering with the manufacturer. I know my Garmin serial number can be linked to my email.

Yours is a great gesture and I think the manufacturer would like to get on board in returning it.

Clint_S
10-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Gawd I need threads like this to keep my faith in human nature flickering.
Hope you find it's owner.

blackford
10-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Good on ya for doing this. I am more than willing to bet that a typical person would dust it off and say "sweet a new gps"

J_T
10-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Gawd I need threads like this to keep my faith in human nature flickering.
Hope you find it's owner.A guy found my wife once. Returned her slightly used but no worse for the wear. Does that also build faith in human nature?

brownmancheng
10-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Was it a small orange gps? I think it was Magellan. My cousin lost his recently

Clint_S
10-16-2015, 02:40 PM
A guy found my wife once. Returned her slightly used but no worse for the wear. Does that also build faith in human nature?

:razz::razz:

hparrott
10-16-2015, 06:20 PM
So I have noted there is no owner information stored in the GPS, no Waypoints saved and no favourites. It seems the GPS was not really not used at all to its full potential. It was never updated and it was not registered. If anyone happens to hear of someone having a shit*y trip after losing their GPS over the next while, again give me a shout. I had a few people contact me about lost GPS units in areas no where near where this was found, and I hope I can get this back to the right person. I'll say it was south of Watch lake just to be more specific because it might help to ring a bell for people who know of others who may have been in the area. Until the time when it is claimed, it will sit on my shelf.......

coyotebc
10-16-2015, 10:47 PM
On my 3 garmin I have my name and phone number come up on the startup screen
As long as the unit has power you have the information

troutseeker
10-17-2015, 04:05 AM
So no big buck and moose waypoints in there, eh?

hparrott
10-17-2015, 05:13 AM
On my 3 garmin I have my name and phone number come up on the startup screen
As long as the unit has power you have the information

This unit does not have that information in it

Rob Chipman
10-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Hey, if it looks good I think it's mine. For the life of me I can't understand how it got from 3-31 all the way up to 5-1, but life's a mystery! Anyway, I hope you find it's real owner. Good on you for looking.