PDA

View Full Version : Need to get meat in the freezer

sapper
10-13-2015, 09:34 PM
I spent the first 2 weekends of October in MU 8-6 & 8-8 seeing lots of muley does but not a single buck and this weekend also no white-tailed does. I only care about finding bucks because they are the meat presently available. However they don't seem available, as in none of them are showing themselves.
I had planned on heading out again the weekend of the 23rd to the same area but am now debating between either a different area in search of a white-tailed doe or waiting until later in the season and sticking with the search for a buck.
I can only really afford one more weekend away so, after an unsuccessful meat season last year what are people's opinions on how best I might get some meat in the freezer now?

Wentrot
10-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Dedicate some time locally to hunting if you can only afford one more weekend outing. Plenty of hunting to do close to home on the cheap!

HarryToolips
10-13-2015, 10:03 PM
I don't know so much about 8-6, but 8-8 sees a lot of pressure..there's still good amounts of deer around, but by now many have gone nocturnal or just stay on trails etc and away from roads...still hunt or sit where Ya find decent sign and slow down and be patient..don't stress about not gettin anything anyway, many hunters go years without shooting anything, it's the fun and experience that make it worth being out..if Ya need to put something in the freezer buy half a cow, cheaper than hunting..

moosinaround
10-13-2015, 10:06 PM
Save on? Superstore? Walmart? Local butcher shop?

boxhitch
10-14-2015, 07:14 AM
Thats hunting.
It takes time to get to know an area well enough to have confidence in staying. If you found good deer habitat , they will be there.

allan
10-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Buy a whole or 1/2. beef, hog, sheep or chickens straight from a farmer.
Know where it's coming from and how it was raised. Not every farmer out there is evil...
Pm me if you need some more info on where to start looking.

BiG Boar
10-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Hunting is called hunting for a reason. Filling the freezer is something completely different. You seem lost. Easiest meat in the freezer is black bear. Go for one of those locally if you just want meat. It takes time to learn any new area, and how to hunt it changes with the seasons. Tell us how you're hunting, and maybe that will give us some clue as to what needs to change if you want to be more successful.

Iron Glove
10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Maybe try 8-5?
Spent Thanksgiving @ our Tulameen place and there were a lot of mule bucks being taken.
Well, by everyone except the Son-In-Law and I, at least he got a bunny to start his hunting "career."

Salty
10-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Meat season? Yeah you seem focused on groceries more than hunting in all seriousness you'd be better off taking moosin's advice it will be cheaper and more productive. I hear a lot of this type of thing this year.. 'any advice on heading up country and getting a couple deer and a bear?'. It doesn't work that way. Go out hunting enjoy the day learn some more, soak up some piece and quiet that's what is all about if you get an animal great but just focusing on meat as a must do won't help anything.

Ajsawden
10-14-2015, 10:18 AM
The cheapest meat is out your back door. Even if it's harder work, the less you have to travel, the cheaper it will be. Find an area close to home and work it.

On the island I back up against a large chunk of huntable land in the shotgun area with tonnes of deer but if you want a buck you have to know where and when to look. I still prefer to spend the money to drive out into the boonies and climb mountains. I always find it a far greater joy to earn my deer. I'll pass up early season bucks just so I can justify hunting throughout the season. It gets unnecessarily stressful when you're pressuring yourself to harvest a buck in as few days as possible.

If you're seeing does there are probably small bucks mixed in with them. There's likely last years fawns that could be spikes or two points still hanging out with mom, and even 2 and half year olds that just havn't left the nest yet can be found with the family. In my experiences mule deer rarely travel alone so if you see one, try and find the rest that are with it. Don't shoot the 4 points though, we need those for November.

Muliechaser
10-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Easiest meat in the freezer is black bear.

Depends on the area . I see areas that have the odd bear and tons of deer .. areas that have no bears no deer . And areas that have nothing but bears . Im not a bear hunter by any means but i do see ALOT more deer than bears its almost a 1:300 ratio . Are you refering to spring bear ? Cuz i see copious amounts then but fall no but deer .. Oh yea

Mc

Rayne
10-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Re: Need to get meat in the freezer
Maybe try 8-5?
Spent Thanksgiving @ our Tulameen place and there were a lot of mule bucks being taken.
Well, by everyone except the Son-In-Law and I, at least he got a bunny to start his hunting "career."

buddy and I were one of those😉

ajeatoo
10-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Buy a whole or 1/2. beef, hog, sheep or chickens straight from a farmer.
Know where it's coming from and how it was raised. Not every farmer out there is evil...
Pm me if you need some more info on where to start looking.

cant go wrong with a hog, best pork I ever had! Got mine from my butcher in Sumas earlier this year. Definitely doing that again! 👍🏻 however you say you know where to get chickens? At a reasonable price? If so please let me know!!

sapper
10-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Ah, yes. Thanks for all the opinions re: supermarkets. I am familiar with them all and know the difference between hunting and shopping. My question was regarding something different but I guess some were distracted by my use of the word "meat". My point in using the term was to drive home the point that I am not concerned with deer rack size. I do hunt for the outdoor experience, times of camaraderie and early morning moments of silence but I also value having something to put on my family's table at the end of the season.
My wife doesn't care for bear so that's not an option.
Thanks for those who have actually provided meaningful and helpful suggestions.

Sofa King
10-14-2015, 05:47 PM
if you can only do one more trip, I'd wait until later in the season.
or at least until the end of October.
the deer have been really dormant so far this early season.
bring on the white stuff to shake things up and let me start tracking.

sapper
10-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Re: Need to get meat in the freezer

Maybe try 8-5?

buddy and I were one of those

Congrats on the buck.:D

sapper
10-14-2015, 05:51 PM
if you can only do one more trip, I'd wait until later in the season.
or at least until the end of October.
the deer have been really dormant so far this early season.
bring on the white stuff to shake things up and let me start tracking.
Thanks, SofaKing. That's what I've noticed in my area and what other hunters in the area have said.

ajeatoo
10-14-2015, 06:05 PM
My husband got a two year old spike a few weeks ago but we are not in your region, he got his towards Whistler. getting to a spot with lots of sign, then going back before first light so you are set up in place waiting for when light hits is what seems to work best around here right now.

604redneck
10-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Hunt near where you live deer ducks and geese