PDA

View Full Version : New approach to deer hunting

DLP
10-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Well for me anyway. after 3.5 years of trying to hunt deer i still haven't bagged one. i have road hunted, glassed the cuts, bushwacked, even floated a river with bow in hand. to date i have only come across does or bucks out of season and only by chance. so far this season though i am feeling very optimistic.

during bow only week i got to within 70 yards of a buck while first glassing and spotting him 200 yards away. he bolted as i was just getting within range. but last week changed everything for me. i drove up an old forestry road as far as i could go to 1400m el, contrary to local advice saying there just arent many deer around anymore. instead of glassing the old cuts i found an animal trail leading into the mid-mountain old growth. i slowly, very slowly hiked along the trail about 10 yards at a time. stopping and glassing thru the trees, looking into the voids. i stopped for 15-20 minutes at a time surveying the vistas thru the forest checking for movement and listening for sign. periodically i would blow three times into the buck-grunt call. then it all started happening - i started noticing movements, seeing black tails and brown bodies moving thru the distant slivers between tree trunks above me. i waited, grnted again. then more different movement, now closer at about 50-70 yards. i stayed very still but was able to load a bullet without being detected. i glassed for horns, but no such luck, so far only does. i waited between trees large enough to hide me but small enough to easily look around by only moving my head. at this point i had called in and watched 4 does come within 50 yards then continue down hill of me. i again started hiking uphill until i made it to 1700m after 1.5 hrs. i stopped turned and there was another doe staring straight at me. i grunted and she just slowly walked away. another 15 minutes of waiting and grunting and yet another deer i spotted thru the trees - couldnt see the head. all this occured between 2-4pm in the afternoon of a mixed sunny day.

this was super fun and gives me confidence that i may actually deliberatly be able to stalk a blacktail this year instead of just running into one by chance. after descending back to my truck i drove the 2 hrs home and researched the exact location on google and the web. turns out i was on a trail that leads to the alpine and i was no more than 100m from reaching the sub-alpine with sparser trees and high meadows. this week i plan to do the same and reach a higher elevation.

any advice on finding the bucks that surely must be around all these does i encountered??

Sofa King
10-13-2015, 08:50 PM
wait for the rut.
if you know where the does are, the bucks will show up.

Xbow
10-14-2015, 12:15 AM
The Sofa King has it right!!!!

Stay with the does.

Throw a can bleat in once in a while also.

scotty30-06
10-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Yea can bleats work great

boxhitch
10-14-2015, 06:28 AM
referred to as 'still hunting' , more time watching less time moving. Nothing in nature moves very fast except trouble.
Keep things real slow , maybe consider a face mask or paint if the sun is bright , pale skin lights up like a flashlight.
Good on ya

Islandeer
10-14-2015, 06:32 AM
You are on them,dont change anything,go slower,use the wind,sit longer.

Shooter
10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Yup keep with the does. A little advice, don't call when a deer is looking at you. If you want them to calm down quit looking at them, relax, take the tension out of your body and they will usually relax too.

HarryToolips
10-14-2015, 09:15 AM
keep up the positive thinkin, good job keep at er!

paulo
10-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Yup keep with the does. A little advice, don't call when a deer is looking at you. If you want them to calm down quit looking at them, relax, take the tension out of your body and they will usually relax too.

What Shooter said is really good advice when standing in front of an animal. Could buy you the extra half minute needed

DLP
10-14-2015, 01:38 PM
great advice...should i go back weekly or wait for the rut to start?? this is northern region 2 ...thanks!

if anyone has seen the trailer for the new movie 'the reverent' it seems to me this is how a bear attack would happen, like an explosion with no second to think. (response to another poster about having one in the chamber at all times, i usually dont but my lever action helps spee it up)

Looking_4_Jerky
10-14-2015, 01:54 PM
You are fortunate enough to have stumbled on what I consider to be the most exhilarating type of deer hunting: Still hunting in moderately thick forest. Master it and you'll have a great chance of being able to find deer in any area you go hunt (as long as you are good at discerning whether they're areas with enough deer that it's worth spending time there). Others have replied with good advice on technique.

To still hunt slow enough takes patience that some don't have. There will be days when you don't see anything and your buddy who was out driving cuts will have seen a whack, but don't let it discourage you. Keep with it and it will be the most consistent (and in my opinion the most exciting) method of seeing deer, and getting into bucks is often a numbers game, although it does help to hunt the rut.

Good luck!

Xbow
10-14-2015, 08:06 PM
If you are not spooking the deer and your area is close to home, I would hunt it at least once a week.

There is a buck around there somewhere...

Foxtail
10-14-2015, 08:12 PM
That is how I hunt all the time... I usually don't call though. If I take people with me they get frustrated by how slow I go but I see more deer than them.

caddisguy
10-15-2015, 07:03 AM
Sounds like you have found a good spot and preferred hunting method... a recipe for many years of success and enjoyment. With that many deer around, there is bound to be some bucks already. If you'd be interested in a spike, take a good look at the "does" through the binos if you haven't been already. And with that many does, there will most certainly be some big bucks cruising soon. Very soon if the area has any dominant mule genetics.