PDA

View Full Version : 5-13a trip

sdurango41
10-13-2015, 03:50 PM
So we went up to 5-13a where we had an LEH draw for a bull moose. Moose spotted - 1 cow and a calf from a couple of miles off - no bulls and barely any fresh sign deer spotted in same area - 0 almost no fresh sign.
We took a nice bull moose from the same area in 2012 but that was a lottery bull that ran in front of the truck when we had parked and were just walking away to start the hunt. That year that bull was the only moose spotted. As we were gutting and processing the moose there were wolves howling from the top of the slash in the timber. We never saw them.
We moved to another area in the same MU that we have taken several bulls from over the years. 0 moose spotted or heard returning calls. Saw two sets of fresh tracks but that was it. We did have an up close and personal with a pack of wolves but we were in the thick Christmas trees and bush so did not see them. I have to tell you though one second I heard them howling a mile or two away and then the next thing I know one howled directly to my left in the thick stuff (like 50 to 100 feet) and then another off to my left. The hair on the back of my neck was bristling and I may have filled my shorts a little bit!! I quickly backed out of their before I was placed on the menu and where I could see more then 15 feet. We should have all gone back to see if we could entice any out into the open but we were limited on time left to get our moose. Ended up the trip not filling the tag. Will be looking into new area for next year.

Stillhunting
10-13-2015, 04:12 PM
We used to hunt 5-13c with great success, but about 10 years ago the wolves moved in and thinned out the moose. It's a waste of time now. There are tons of moose and less wolves down south but it's tough to draw a tag and the spike/fork season is poorly timed and short in duration. Good thing I like to eat deer, they're everywhere down here with liberal seasons.