PDA

View Full Version : Pringles can moose call?

MichelD
10-11-2015, 01:28 PM
My buddies had the draw in 6-06. I was there for 10 days with them and had to leave to get back home and they hadn't seen a bull yet. I saw one when I was driving around alone while they were boating into a marsh. They are still there. I hope something happens for them soon.

I told them about the spot, but he looked like he was traveling.

About calling, one of my friends has an old Pringles potato chip cardboard tube that he put a shoelace in and uses that to call. I think it sounds like a sick high pitched milk cow, and kind of goes "Yeow, Yeow!"

I think he scares moose away with the damn thing. It doesn't sound like any cow moose I've ever heard or other person calling either.

The other guy calls well, but the Pringles can guy thinks he helps by making his noises too..

Can something like that keep bulls away?

Michel

srupp
10-11-2015, 02:53 PM
yup..bad moose calling can spook moose..pringles can is new one to me...

Steven

ruger#1
10-11-2015, 03:08 PM
We used a coffee can and a wet shoelace before. Sounds like a bull.A Pringles can, I would say would be to high pitched.

IslandBC
10-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Get an LEH . Take a week off work. Prep and plan. Then cheap out on a Pringles call can lol .... To bad

Caribou_lou
10-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I heard a cow moose just last week, that probably sounded similar to that Pringles can. I even had a little chuckle to myself while she was going off.

Most cow moose I've heard sound far from my moose call. But it works and that's all that matters. Often it is something a bit different that can work great. But in all cases you just need a bull in ears shot, that wants to find a cow.

Glenny
10-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I've had moose come into deer grunts.

MichelD
10-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Get an LEH . Take a week off work. Prep and plan. Then cheap out on a Pringles call can lol .... To bad

I know, this guy CANNOT be convinced to do anything better.

knighthunter
10-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I've made some pretty awful cow moose calls with my mouth, sometimes it brought a bull in, sometimes not. Maybe when it never worked, there was no bull within hearing or I didn't wait long enough as he was coming in silently or I scared him off.
I've heard of guy's running a chainsaw in the bush and bring in a bull.

Fred1
10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Anybody can call moose... When they are in the rut they get pretty receptive to just about any kind of call - even from a can. I have watched moose make incredible sounds that you would never believe is a moose! Whines coughs grunts wheezes hisses and all kinds of high pitched sounds. The best advice I can give is you tube some stuff and just go practice. The real trick to calling moose is to get a moose to show himself when he is not really interested in a cow. Sometimes you have to get him in the fight mode - heat him up for battle! (whole new set of sounds and patterns). But try not to sound too big ;) - Sometimes you just cow call like hell and be real aggressive and they cant help but come for a look. Its a great time in the woods when the moose are busy!

Lozzie
10-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Only called in one Bull moose, used my hands and the bull came in to 20 yards. Same trip I had a buddy who made the "pringles can call" and I have to say it did not help him out, it sounded so bad we made him hunt alone. lol

tomahawk
10-11-2015, 08:20 PM
In the peak rut its pretty much any sound gets them wondering. But the peak is done now and is tailing off especially for the bigger mature bulls. There interested but caution is setting in on them now. My buddy Dick from Burns Lake called in a bull to a landing in a 2 yr old cut with his chain saw that wouldn't start. He pulled and pulled and it kept making a uhhh uhhh uhhh and in walked a young bull. Never discard any sound in the rut however there are sounds that are much better and tested and true then others

Big Mac
10-12-2015, 10:36 AM
I just thought I would add to this. I make the can moose calls that I have been really successful with, I have even brought in a 5x5 bull elk.I know people try to make there own, well with out the right tape the sounds can vary and sometimes do not work at all. I can make the quivery cow, straight cow and a Bull call all out of the one can and yes the can does work, I have kept my freezer full of meat for years with bulls that thought they were coming in to see a cow. Anyway the sounds that it makes are pretty good, they work for me. I may be at the sportsmen show in Abbotsford this coming year and you can hear it for yourself .

257stew
10-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Pringles can is best moose call I have ever seen used, however we cut the botom out and call thru it, no string. I personally always use my 2 hands and pinch my nose with my fingers. My buddy uses the can.

Cheers 257Stew

BCHunterFSJ
10-13-2015, 10:23 AM
An old fashioned birch bark call will also work. Widely used in Eastern Canada. All the guides there make their own.

Lillypuff
10-13-2015, 10:38 AM
I am partial to the red MJB can.

Sofa King
10-13-2015, 11:12 AM
use your hands.
who needs another bulky item to be carrying around.