PDA

View Full Version : 4pt mule deer question

tenrag
10-11-2015, 01:28 PM
I live in region 4 and there is a 4pt mule deer (excluding brow tine) restriction in place. I'm wondering if it is common for small points to be missing brow tines. Are they legal to shoot?

Rackmastr
10-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Not sure what you're asking? Maybe I'm confused, but can you elaborate?

Foxtail
10-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Brow tines don't count. It doesn't matter if the deer has brow tines or not. They don't count.

Steelpulse
10-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Question doesnt make any sense, however browtines make no difference even if theybare huge. If the deer has 4 tips of antler on one side excluding brows it is game to shoot typically 2 forks of 2 points each but can be any combo if antler formation

HarryToolips
10-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Question doesnt make any sense, however browtines make no difference even if theybare huge. If the deer has 4 tips of antler on one side excluding brows it is game to shoot typically 2 forks of 2 points each but can be any combo if antler formation

exactly..and remember: any tine, or the first tine that's on the lower one-third of the antler counts as the brow tine, according to the regs..

Glenny
10-11-2015, 03:40 PM
I think he may have meant "small 4 points" to be missing brow tines.

tenrag
10-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Sorry I realize my question was missing a couple words....I was trying to balance my 9 month daughter in my arms as I typed the question. The small four point mule deer I saw this morning had four points on one antler with NO browtines. The regs says needs at least 4 points which I understand but it also says excluding browtines, which this deer did not have. So I'm wondering if missing browtines is common and are they legal to shoot without browlines and only 4 points (2 forks with 2 points). Harrytoolips eludes to something that makes me think one point is low enough would count as the browtine and therefore makes it illegal to shoot the animal. I might be over thinking all this.

Foxtail
10-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Some mule deer have brow tines and some don't. It doesn't matter if they have them or not, you don't count them as tines on a 4 point. It must have 4 points on one side. Can be a 4x4 or 4x3 or 4x2 or 4x1... You get the point :p

warnniklz
10-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Not legal
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4080/5443892243_f460f33a12_b.jpg

Legal
http://www.ddoutfitterswyo.com/images/mule_deer/dd_outfitting_muledeer_eric.jpg

Jelvis
10-11-2015, 07:25 PM
I believe yah measure a point length on a kicker above the bottom third, from the middle of the main beam out.
anyone?

tenrag
10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks Warnniklz....I was just saving some pictures to post to help explain but you saved me the trouble of figuring out how to do it. The deer I saw today looks like the second one (just a bit smaller).
Jelvis...I have no idea what you said??

Jelvis
10-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Sorry ten haha, ment to say, the deer your explaining has a typical mule deer rack, but a mule deer rack that is non-typical has kickers all over dee place my friend.
Jel -- your doing good asking tho -- it's all good to know, no dumb questions jus dum answers lol

IslandBC
10-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Tenrag good ethics to not pull the trigger on a buck you weren't sure about ! That being said to bad you didn't shoot that legal buck!

M.Dean
10-11-2015, 07:40 PM
I'd say any point below where the main beam on a mule deer branches off would not count as a fourth tine, and I don't think I've ever seen a mule deer with a point there? And any point, no matter how long that comes off the base, or near the base of the horn would be called a brow tine.

Ajsawden
10-12-2015, 02:43 PM
A couple years ago my lady shot a nice mule deer during any buck season. It had 3 tines on top on one side and on the same antler, near the base was a tine, about 3 inches long, pointing straight down. Is this a brow tine, or is this an abnormal point? Would you shoot this in a 4 point buck season.

Also if you have a buck that has 4 brow tines, 2 on each antler, but only three up top, is it still not legal even though 5 tines on each antler? how about 6 brow tines? Now it's a 9 point? This whole brow deal gets awfully confusing sometimes.

HarryToolips
10-12-2015, 04:01 PM
A couple years ago my lady shot a nice mule deer during any buck season. It had 3 tines on top on one side and on the same antler, near the base was a tine, about 3 inches long, pointing straight down. Is this a brow tine, or is this an abnormal point? Would you shoot this in a 4 point buck season.

Also if you have a buck that has 4 brow tines, 2 on each antler, but only three up top, is it still not legal even though 5 tines on each antler? how about 6 brow tines? Now it's a 9 point? This whole brow deal gets awfully confusing sometimes.
It's only the first tine closest to the head that is the brow tine, so yes it would be legal..