PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail time???

Lukeez88
10-10-2015, 05:54 PM
So, never really hunted blacktail before, but all I've heard is its a good thing to hunt in pouring rain and hunt late in the season around the rut. Anyway, this afternoon it was absolutely pissing rain, and it got me wondering, how would the blacktail hunting be right now on a day like today?? should I be out there right now because its a torrential downpour? or is it still too warm or too early? ya ya i know every time you get out just to hunt regardless of the conditions theres a chance you'll find bucks but I'm just thinking ideal conditions/primetime.

Lets see those blacktails that have already hit the ground

caddisguy
10-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Some nice BT's have already hit the ground... a couple from the alpines here in Region 2 and quite a few from Region 1.

Here in Region 2, hunting BT's is tricky business. They show up where they want and when they want. It's really like hunting a mountain lion without dogs. Pick a hill, start hiking up it, look for sign, trails, etc. Embrace the frustration and the toll it will take on your body!! :)

Wentrot
10-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Some nice BT's have already hit the ground... a couple from the alpines here in Region 2 and quite a few from Region 1.

Here in Region 2, hunting BT's is tricky business. They show up where they want and when they want. It's really like hunting a mountain lion without dogs. Pick a hill, start hiking up it, look for sign, trails, etc. Embrace the frustration and the toll it will take on your body!! :)

That about sums it up. Start scouting /hunting now and you will have a head start next season. Go on Google Earth, pick a mountain and frigging give er

Xbow
10-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Look up some of pro guides older threads on BT hunting.

There a great read and full of information.

Foxtail
10-11-2015, 07:33 AM
I was out in it yesterday. We took the boat to Pitt Lake. Saw 3 does and one buck but I couldn't get on him. I was hunting with my recurve. Those deer are ninja ghosts. Good luck.

fuzzy 63
10-11-2015, 09:02 AM
morning . was out on the pitt polder yesterday in the early afternoon with my labs for a walk and for my young dog to let her hear the shotguns in the distance . on my way down to where we walk ,i pulled over to take some pics of a big three point that is hot on the trail of a doe about 10 yards in front of him . they are both feeding and with a few fawn chirps ,'' i had a box of smarties that was empty so i was prepared '' . the buck would look up and with my binos i could really make out his features . prob 4 years old or so , very wide and tall antlers . was just before the pouring rain started so my suggestion to the op is to get out , be there all day and put in the effort .I know everyone would like pics but all I had was my cellphone and the deer were around 90 yards away . today i will go with my nikon and telephoto lenses .
have a good day
cliff

Xenomorph
10-11-2015, 09:57 AM
They're ninjas for sure. Go out in nice weather better forget about it. Early morning, pick a mountain, hike up, you'll see them coming out come 4PM.

last light
10-11-2015, 10:24 AM
I can't seem to find these little ghosts anymore. No sign (no track, rubs, fresh trails) or any live sightings at least of does or fawns or nothing. Went out in the torrential downpour yesterday as well. No grouse, bear, or deer to be seen in area that used to be at least half decent. Almost got a free overnight night stay from all the trees falling over. Fortunately the one was just high enough to squeak underneath and get out of there asap!

caddisguy
10-11-2015, 10:52 AM
That about sums it up. Start scouting /hunting now and you will have a head start next season. Go on Google Earth, pick a mountain and frigging give er

Only disclaimer I should give along side my advice is that I am the worlds lousiest hunter and I haven't even seen a muley buck in almost a year, let alone a blacktail despite about 40 hunting days spent.

brian
10-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Personally I have not been able to figure out how weather affects deer movement. I have seen more deer on clear dry days but I just happened to have hunted more clear days. The biggest difference I have found is I get closer to deer on rainy windy blustery days. They have a much harder time using their defenses against me. The forest is full of movement and noise whereas I can move much more quietly. That must make the deer a little nervous. It probably explains why hunters see more of them out in the open in nasty conditions. But I am hunting close range and have no interest in the wide open spaces unless I can exploit it somehow. So this could explain why I have seen more deer on clear days in the timber. Clear sunny dry with a light steady wind is pretty much ideal for them. Their defenses work well under these conditions and they feel more comfortable being bedded down. I have read that truly nasty conditions will cause them to hold up in sheltered areas, but I don't know where the lines are drawn with rain and wind on what will inspire to get out in the open and when they'll resign themselves to shelter.

scotty30-06
10-12-2015, 01:40 PM
For some reason I love hunting bt's in the rain....just feels like the right thing to do true Westcoast rainforest hunt ya know.....just like hunting muleys in the dessert Highlands....maybe just me though

bwerb
10-12-2015, 01:52 PM
There are currently two does across the street from my house eating the neighbours's shrubs (North Vancouver)...sigh...someone knows they can't be hunted.

Camp Cook
10-14-2015, 06:59 AM
I also prefer to hunt BT in the rain.

Due to the hot/dry weather I haven't even tried for BT yet this season.

Only time I hunt BT in good weather now is if I can get up into the alpine even still its tough to find them.