PDA

View Full Version : Elusive first deer

dirtymax
10-10-2015, 09:30 AM
hey guys I am new to hunting. Self taught through all the forums on this great site just recently finished my CORE and PAL and have bought a rifle. Trying to spend as much time as possible this month to get any buck wt doe or bear. Last weekend spent 4 days out at Brookmere with my dad who isn't a hunter but a good driver/extra set of eyes and we saw some deer and a bear but couldnt connect at all. I am heading up to Jamison cr area camping at white wood lake next week with my cousin and just wondering what it's like up there ? can I get a small travel trailer up there ? I also heard there's a lot of wolves ... We have other spots we've considered. Any tips/advice on conditions would be appreciated :) Will post with our success hopefully

Salty
10-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Hey dirtymax welcome to the site. Sorry I'm not familiar with those areas but my advice is put some boots to the ground. If your seeing animals or sign that they're there walk the area and find what's around also sit and watch those areas quietly and hidden. Hopefully others will chime in on the area:)

noahs ark
10-10-2015, 10:48 AM
My brother and I drove through there on our way from 3-20 over to another area on Wednesday. We got on at westsyde Rd. And took it up and over to Gorman and out to the highway. There was 3 camps at whitewood we talked to one and they were all moose hunting. 2 camps had connected. We literally just drove through to have a look with the camper on and didn't do much exploring but we didn't see anything. Seems pretty grown up in there and no shortage of browse for them either. Talked to a local up there who said it used to be great but recent years has been shot out.

edit: the main fsr is just fine for any trailer combo.

dirtymax
10-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks members, we have switched our plan to camp at mckonnel off lac or jeune and possibly day trip to jamieson . saw lots of deer and moose there during spring bear season . With the warm summer and less than usual vegetation should I be focusing on less open areas ?

Just
10-29-2015, 05:27 PM
I have been hunting for my first deer around brookmere and so far they have eluded me. Not a lot of deer up there and haven't seen any bear either.

dirtymax
10-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Saw a bear and a whitetail both 5 minutes apart then nothing the rest of our 2 days.

IslandBC
10-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the site ! Post all your stories good and bad ! Ask for advice , tons of experts on here willing to give the new guys some help . Good luck this season

Just
10-30-2015, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the site ! Post all your stories good and bad ! Ask for advice , tons of experts on here willing to give the new guys some help . Good luck this season
Where do mulies go when it rains. Is it worth hiking around in the bush or glassing cuts?

HarryToolips
10-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Where do mulies go when it rains. Is it worth hiking around in the bush or glassing cuts?

Depends...I've seen them not mind light rain...one of the best times to hunt is right after a heavy rain..I've taken a couple bucks right after a heavy rain-storm..

Looking_4_Jerky
10-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Jameson FSR connects to a monstrous amount of country through spur FSRs. A bunch connect with other parts of the region (Bridge Lk, Chasm, 70 Mile, Loon Lake, Deadman's, Red Lk, Lac du Bois). As you'd expect, those areas won't all hold lots of deer at the same time. I've found the areas closest to Whitewood Lk to be better early season. There are lots of areas where deer move into later, but it will take some exploring. Right now you could realistically find them anywhere up there, as they'll be spread out. I'm sure there's been no shortage of vehicle traffic up there, so if you really want to do more than learn your way around, get out in the woods.

I've heard the areas north of town have had a few more wolves than immediately south, but I'm not sure what kind of impact they've had. Based on the amount of deer in winter ranges up there, my guess is that it's not been significant, although Moose may be getting harder hit. I don't know anyone that's had LEHs up there for a few years, so I can't say what the success would be like. I know moose populations are well down from what they have been in the past in pretty much the whole 3-28/3-29/3-30 quadrant.

Regardless of whether you hunt there or McConnell, you'll probably have to get off the road to avoid the crowds, as either will be busy. With Spike/fork moose season starting Sunday, it will be an absolute zoo. If you're only after deer, I'd try areas lower in elevation where moose (and hence moose hunters and all the associated traffic) will not likely be.

Just
10-30-2015, 04:28 PM
I've been hiking around the bush away from the roads and found a ton of moose sign as well as deer sign. Really fresh moose and deer crap it was green. Moose and deer don't hang in the same places at the same time I'm guessing

HarryToolips
10-30-2015, 10:01 PM
I've been hiking around the bush away from the roads and found a ton of moose sign as well as deer sign. Really fresh moose and deer crap it was green. Moose and deer don't hang in the same places at the same time I'm guessing
you'd be surprised, the Whitetail I shot two weeks ago was with 2 other WT, plus a cow/calf moose in the same area at the same time..I actually had to wait for the calf moose to move so I could take the shot..

dirtymax
11-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Quick update now that the season end is a month away ! Had No luck in region 3 and 8 during the early season, Have now been focusing on region 2 blacktails. Found a good spot last weekend saw 12 does and could have taken a bear. No signs of a buck anywhere though we walked the trails where the truck couldn't go glassing every possible opening. What kind of terrain will the Bucks be in ? Should I be walking through the thick stuff ? Any info is appreciated ! goodluck !

markathome
11-18-2015, 09:03 AM
If you found does - there are bucks. Proguide just put up a post that detailed watching a doe for a couple of hours... all the while waiting for the buck to show. Once Proguide made a step to move on - the buck showed himself - with his ass end bounding through the bush.

For blacktails - once you get in a spot with does, stalk and wait and watch. The bucks will show. Patience.

dirtymax
11-19-2015, 08:45 AM
I appreciate the help ! Will be spending the whole day Saturday pounding ground! Would calling be a good idea if you already have eyes on does ?

coach
11-19-2015, 09:01 AM
I appreciate the help ! Will be spending the whole day Saturday pounding ground! Would calling be a good idea if you already have eyes on does ?

If you are able to watch the does without them knowing you are there, then it makes sense to continue to sit back and watch. Any time you call you risk alerting them to your presence and spooking the whole group. If they are aware of your presence and look like they are about to bolt, sometimes a doe call will slow them down and may even draw out a curious buck - this has been my experience with mule deer anyway. Others who are more experienced with blacktail swill likely chime in.

Xenomorph
11-19-2015, 09:12 AM
If you found does - there are bucks. Proguide just put up a post that detailed watching a doe for a couple of hours... all the while waiting for the buck to show. Once Proguide made a step to move on - the buck showed himself - with his ass end bounding through the bush.

For blacktails - once you get in a spot with does, stalk and wait and watch. The bucks will show. Patience.

What he said. If you found the does the bucks are there. Glass the bush, edge of the trees