PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Region 2 bull moose!!!

caddisguy
10-09-2015, 06:24 PM
... on the trailcam, not far from highway 1 EB between Chilliwack and Hope

We knew there was moose in the valley, as we had stumbled across moose crap a few dozen times over the last couple years.

Every other hunter/hiker/fisher/camper we mentioned it to just rolled their eyes, laughed or just thought we were insane... except one other HBC member who has been seeing what we're seeing too.

On the way back from our Region 3 trip, we decided to camp out one night in Region 2 and check in on a cam where we have been watching a doe (since April) and a fawn grow up (since June) and we'll be making a time lapse video to show the fawn growing up.

Anyway, for those who thought we were insane, here's a nice bull moose cruising passed our cam on September 17th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ThaUgXeLGc

10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
How cool is THAT ....... WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT !

Sasqman
10-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Spectacular!!! Crazy seeing that bull in the region 2 terrain.

Daybreak
10-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Makes it interesting when you get the unexpected. That cranky old doe probably hasn't been laid in 11 months.:lol:

tuner
10-09-2015, 06:36 PM
Seen moose in the Soo River FSR between whistler and pemberton on a few occasions.

allan
10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Very cool.
I've seen a couple Bull moose in region two. You just need to know where to look.

What blows my mind is the trail cam pic of a velvet 5 point bull elk standing in a very unlikely place, however it's not my place to share but I wonder if the picture taker is reading this and cares to share.

Bugle M In
10-09-2015, 06:41 PM
never a doubt in my mind...thanks for sharing!!

caddisguy
10-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Makes it interesting when you get the unexpected. That cranky old doe probably hasn't been laid in 11 months.:lol:

She is quite a character and definitely needs servicing... hoping to run into one of the not-so-lucky boyfriends.

ruger#1
10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Seen two moose in the ponds at Sunshine Valley. Some people have seen them at the north end of Stave Lake. Nice catch with the cam Caddis.

HarryToolips
10-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Well, all's I can say is I sure hope there ain't to many Chinese restaurants close by, cuz that bull would make a pile of Chicken Chow Mein and Sweet and Sour Pork Boneless!!! Not that I'm "Racial Profiling" here!!!
LOL ain't moose better tastin than dog and cat??

Knute
10-09-2015, 07:54 PM
caddisguy thanks for the vid

Andrewh
10-09-2015, 07:57 PM
I have seen quite a few in region 2, have a bull on film too.

Didn't think they were that rare...

caddisguy
10-09-2015, 08:02 PM
I have seen quite a few in region 2, have a bull on film too.

Didn't think they were that rare...

From the amount of sign we have seen, I didn't either. I always figured the sign was left over from wintering. Either way, people we'd BS with would always roll their eyes and smirk when we mentioned moose sign. I personally hadn't seen one, but knew they were there. Glad to catch one on the cam (though when I saw the antler on the tiny thumbnail I thought it was a buck, was disappointed and excited at the same time lol)

Ohwildwon
10-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Seen moose in the Soo River FSR between whistler and pemberton on a few occasions.

Its perfect for Moose in there... Probably where they relocated the one that was hang'n out in Function Junk....

markomoose
10-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Its perfect for Moose in there... Probably where they relocated the one that was hang'n out in Function Junk....Seen moose behind Brittania and as far south as Furry Creek.

charlie_horse
10-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Lots out of the elaho valley, seen sign up the squamish valley

RB2
10-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Nice footage! There are indeed moose where some would not expect them.

Steeleco
10-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Nice footage, there used to be a good sized bull and a few cows up the back of the Caroline mines. And I've a buddy that saw one swimming across Chilliwack lake eons ago. They're rare but they're around.

panhead
10-09-2015, 09:42 PM
I remember seeing a story on the evening news a few years ago about a moose that was shot dead in the Bellis Fair mall parking lot in Bellingham. The local game warden figured it came south from the Chilliwack river valley ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only good Tory is a suppository.:smile:

Foxtail
10-09-2015, 09:48 PM
I saw one in about the same area it was just passed that offroad track on the number 1.

vortex hunter
10-09-2015, 09:53 PM
seen three in Elaho Valley

caddisguy
10-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm going to leave the cams up over the winter. So far we have muleys, hybrids, 5X5 BT, black bears, whitetail, cougar, bobcat... hoping to add wolf, grizz and maybe goats to the collection. Anything can happen around Hope/Chilliwack... maybe get us a samsquatch too.

Bugle M In
10-09-2015, 10:45 PM
it appears the big game is trying to escape the wolves...all are heading to the LM:shock:

caddisguy
10-09-2015, 10:58 PM
it appears the big game is trying to escape the wolves...all are heading to the LM:shock:

Can't blame them! They're bringing the ticks too. I got nailed about 15x times in the Spring. Only got nailed once the year prior and never in my life (that I know of) prior to that. Wolves for sure... had one cruising around the Langley bypass near the ice rink and Kwantlen college. Should have elk, wolves and maybe grizz on these cams by Spring 2016.

Careful driving them Hope/Chilliwack mountain passes, much as we all love to whip around blind curves at 110--maybe 140km/h for some--It's not just "watch for deer the next 16km" now.

East of Hope there seems to be elk in decent numbers too. My brother smoked an elk just before Jackass Mountain. Rad on the big rig exploded and needed a tow. Locals snatched up the meat within an hour... glad it didn't go to waste, albeit pre-marinated with rad fluid.

Wolfkrieg
10-10-2015, 02:44 AM
Beautiful footage. May I ask what type of game cam you are using for this?

olympia
10-10-2015, 02:51 AM
I have seen moose sign in the skagit valley and squeamish as well, there definitely is moose in region 2

ruger#1
10-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Can't blame them! They're bringing the ticks too. I got nailed about 15x times in the Spring. Only got nailed once the year prior and never in my life (that I know of) prior to that. Wolves for sure... had one cruising around the Langley bypass near the ice rink and Kwantlen college. Should have elk, wolves and maybe grizz on these cams by Spring 2016.

Careful driving them Hope/Chilliwack mountain passes, much as we all love to whip around blind curves at 110--maybe 140km/h for some--It's not just "watch for deer the next 16km" now.

East of Hope there seems to be elk in decent numbers too. My brother smoked an elk just before Jackass Mountain. Rad on the big rig exploded and needed a tow. Locals snatched up the meat within an hour... glad it didn't go to waste, albeit pre-marinated with rad fluid.Migratory Birds bring ticks. Thats how they are getting them in Newfoundland.

Muliechaser
10-10-2015, 07:45 AM
How cool is THAT ....... WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT !

Just look at it .

caddisguy
10-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Beautiful footage. May I ask what type of game cam you are using for this?

It's a Simmons 4MP Whitetail camera. Very happy with those cameras (small, runs for months off 4 AA's) under $100.

natebavis
10-10-2015, 12:51 PM
I have seen moose in Skagit, elaho and 3 different moose this year in sowaqua valley

Big Hoss
09-18-2016, 06:58 PM
My son and his buddy just saw a bull moose on the side of the coquihalla between Othello tunnels and hope

luger
09-18-2016, 07:29 PM
I've seen 2 bulls two years ago and I just saw 2 more this weekend when hunting bucks in region 2. Maybe one day they will get a leh for them. That would be nice.

604Stalker
09-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Thanks for posting thats pretty cool.

caddisguy
09-18-2016, 08:25 PM
My son and his buddy just saw a bull moose on the side of the coquihalla between Othello tunnels and hope

Very cool! This is roughly the same time of year that moose came by one of our trailcams. If I recall correctly, it was dated sometime first or second week of September. We haven't seen any moose on cam or in 3D in our hunting areas this year, but we did find a fresh track. No fresh scat, but some piles that weren't there last year, so they would have been from somewhere between December and April.

The season is still young, so maybe we will see another one this year. We pulled a cam last weekend but still have 3 out and might add 1 or 2 more over the next month. I haven't had a chance to put anymore vids together, but I have a lot of vids to pick highlights from and will update my 2016 trailcam thread soon. The most "unusual" thing we have going on now is the Region 2 whitetails... the doe and her twins. The fawns are growing up pretty good and they are still visiting the came as of a week or two ago. Last year she stopped hitting the cam around July. Also over the last month or so she seems to have acquired some kind of wound on her side... possibly shedding or something, but it's just one chunk on one side.

ryanonthevedder
09-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Very cool! This is roughly the same time of year that moose came by one of our trailcams. If I recall correctly, it was dated sometime first or second week of September. We haven't seen any moose on cam or in 3D in our hunting areas this year, but we did find a fresh track. No fresh scat, but some piles that weren't there last year, so they would have been from somewhere between December and April.

The season is still young, so maybe we will see another one this year. We pulled a cam last weekend but still have 3 out and might add 1 or 2 more over the next month. I haven't had a chance to put anymore vids together, but I have a lot of vids to pick highlights from and will update my 2016 trailcam thread soon. The most "unusual" thing we have going on now is the Region 2 whitetails... the doe and her twins. The fawns are growing up pretty good and they are still visiting the came as of a week or two ago. Last year she stopped hitting the cam around July. Also over the last month or so she seems to have acquired some kind of wound on her side... possibly shedding or something, but it's just one chunk on one side.

I was driving up to a buddy's place the other day (here in Chwk) and I saw a doe with a young fawn in spots and I would have sworn they were white tails... this wasn't close to Herrling either...

Big Hoss
09-18-2016, 08:42 PM
They said it was a good size bull. A 5x5

One Shot
09-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Maybe they have come up from WA. I've seen moose there over the last couple of decades along Hwy 2 and 20. About run one over on my bike one evening.

BCHunterTV
09-22-2016, 06:19 PM
I've seen a cow on the road back in there before years ago mid Jan