PDA

View Full Version : Bear Advise

skibum
10-08-2015, 10:00 PM
I am in Kamloops. I have not seen any bears hunting the last four seasons. I run into lots of deer and have no problem there; harvest my tags, but bears... wtf?

I park and hike. I put a lot of miles on going into my deer sitting spots. Is bear hunting tuned more towards driving cuts --- spot and stock from your truck.

The regional biologist says there are lots out there and encourages their harvest.

Why am I not seeing more bears?

Thanks

Bugle M In
10-08-2015, 10:15 PM
They do like there cutblocks, and old roads where there is an abundance say of rosehips on each side of the road.
Bears and bear hunting is funny that way...some years you see nothing, and than other years you see plenty.
Usually you see plenty when you don't have a tag, and none when you do...

Gateholio
10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
In the fall, bear hunting is kinda erratic. See them all times of day for a few weeks, then poof you hardly see them.

TheProvider
10-09-2015, 05:17 AM
Bears will be feeding heavily this time of year 18-20hrs a day. If you know of a good berry patch check it out.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Can be hit or miss in the fall for sure. With the dry weather this year the berry crop isn't great. Thinking back to other dry summers, I saw lots of bears in certain places. One spot was beside a river on a cut bank where a seep was coming out of the bank and there was lots of green growing.

Another food source that seems to be less affected by dry weather is rose hips. Find an area where there are lots of rose hips and it might be good. Don't overlook low elevation spots.